3073 27 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi been trying to get connected to 2.4ghz using Crystalsky with my spark, have tried everything if anyone else is using with success please let me know. Thank you.
2017-10-18
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

Are yo utrying with or without RC ?
Are you able to test (without Spark) if the Crystalsky is able to use the "Spark" 5Ghz channels (i.e. 149 to 161) ?

In E.U., thoses channels are allowed under SRD (short range device) restrictions : http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-c ... 13D0752&from=EN

However, the official database for Linux wifi regulations  (and Android kernel is linux based) does not yet reflect this in every EU country : https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/l ... tree/db.txt?id=HEAD

I believe this is the reason why many Android devices where developpers have not customized the database just can't use those bands once they stick to some EU regulatory domain.
If you are trying to use 2.4 GHz between RC and Spark, then the CrystalSky has to use those upper 5 GHz band that are maybe not allowed...

In order to test, you can for example use your home wifi router, assuming it's dual band and you can explicitely set the regdomain and the channels for each band (e.g. with a Synology 2600ac it's possible, or with many router models loaded with opensource firmware dd-wrt). Then set a 5.8GHz band between 149 and 161 on the router and check if you can connect to it from CrystalSky. If not, it's probably that the database of CrystalSky is incomplete as many Android devices...

2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Matioupi Posted at 2017-10-18 07:09
Are yo utrying with or without RC ?
Are you able to test (without Spark) if the Crystalsky is able to use the "Spark" 5Ghz channels (i.e. 149 to 161) ?

With RC
Thanks Matioupi I will try your suggestions see how I get on thank you.
2017-10-18
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

See above post 'crystal sky superb'. I get 2.4 with otg.
2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-18 11:04
See above post 'crystal sky superb'. I get 2.4 with otg.

So what is your start up procedure?
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-18 11:08

Did you try to connect your crystal sky with iphone? Please try to restore the factory setting of crystal sky and see if it works.
2017-10-18
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hall mark - start up is
1 Spark on.
2 RC on
3 CS on
4 launch app a susual.

5 select wifi icon
6 select 2.4  plus channel and apply.
Close app on CS.
7 plug OTG into CS, then Remote.
8 GO 4 self launches.
2017-10-19
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

I believe he does not want to use OTG which is not officially approuved... (unfortunately, it also happens that with most Android devices in Europe, this is the only way to use 2.4 GHz as the 5.8GHz link between RC and phone is not functionnal)
2017-10-19
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-18 11:08

Hallmark, you can also use the following tool : http://wifiscanner.com/wifiscanner-windows.html (they have a free trial)

to check which regdomain (country code) is used by a given WiFi network. You have to make a right click in the column title bar to enable displaying the country code column which is hidden by default.

In setups with RC, the RC is playing the role of the access point, so it will be the element that drives the country code for other devices. If it happens that your RC is broadcasting a "US" code (please let me know because I'm in EU and the 3 Spark RC I've seen up to now all uses US code... while in EU) , then you can try turning on your Crystal Sky with GPS OFF only after the RC is on, remove all other Wifi networks, and try the connexion at a place where there are no other Wifi networks (which may broadcast other country code that drives the CS regdom before it uses the one from RC).
2017-10-19
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hallmark - sorry if I misunderstood your situation. I can only get 2.4 on CS when using OTG.
It's unclear to me if it'supported. There are DJI posts instructing you to use otg with CS, if not other devices.
It seems very clear to me that DJI do not rush to update app level on CS because they don't need to, since they have total control over it.
Thus I assume all the rushed updates for android and even ios are fire fighting to smooth things
over on third party software.
My phone at first worked fine, but after4 1  7 only functioned on  OTG.
To buy by guess work another device, still dim in my opinion, meant for me it was a no brainer to move to CS.
With super screen and rock solid start up every time I concluded it was only a matter of time....and eventually cheaper.
It's not one size fits all. If you get the result you want, that's all that matters.☺
2017-10-19
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

By the way, I've just found out that on the home page , the wifi band in use is marked against the ikon. When it connects to my router it picks 5.8 .
But when connected to remote it shows 2.4, ie the remote to ac is 5.8.
Can't see how to swap this. Pity causethe you probably wouln't need  OTG with it's somewhat more tedious power up.
Also if you take the remote out, it chooses 2.4 to connect to ac. Then it forces max  height to 30 m and distance to 60, but still good for some tasks.
2017-10-19
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PS I discovered this when taking the remote out as being the only way to get the NFZ update through.
I didn't even realise the centre function button on the right enables several very useful functions. I thought the screen was bright until I turned it up there.!
2017-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-19 02:39
Hallmark - sorry if I misunderstood your situation. I can only get 2.4 on CS when using OTG.
It's unclear to me if it'supported. There are DJI posts instructing you to use otg with CS, if not other devices.
It seems very clear to me that DJI do not rush to update app level on CS because they don't need to, since they have total control over it.

Hey Bright Spark, yes I was trying to get connected without OTG , tried everything Matoupi told me with no success, I have tried with OTG as you listed and yes it works that way, I think we will have to wait until we get some updates for an easier way around trying to get connected to 2.4ghz, I only have the CS just over a week , I had it with me on a break to Sweden and absolutely loved it, no more looking for the shade to see what I’m doing, have yet to try it with my Mavic weather is just crap here.
Thanks for your help.
2017-10-19
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-19 10:07
Hey Bright Spark, yes I was trying to get connected without OTG , tried everything Matoupi told me with no success, I have tried with OTG as you listed and yes it works that way, I think we will have to wait until we get some updates for an easier way around trying to get connected to 2.4ghz, I only have the CS just over a week , I had it with me on a break to Sweden and absolutely loved it, no more looking for the shade to see what I’m doing, have yet to try it with my Mavic weather is just crap here.
Thanks for your help.

Where you able to test if the country code broadcasted by the remote Wifi router is "US" or your actual country ?
2017-10-19
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Matioupi, not sure if  your post is addressed to me?
2017-10-19
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-19 23:13
Matioupi, not sure if  your post is addressed to me?

no, it was for hallmark, but anyway, I'd really be interested in general to see what country codes are broadcasted (using the wifiscanner tool link I gae above) for many users

I get "US" on my side while i'm in EU. I had chance to look at 3 different remotes and all were "US" so i'd liek to get a broader view.
2017-10-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Matioupi Posted at 2017-10-20 01:21
no, it was for hallmark, but anyway, I'd really be interested in general to see what country codes are broadcasted (using the wifiscanner tool link I gae above) for many users

I get "US" on my side while i'm in EU. I had chance to look at 3 different remotes and all were "US" so i'd liek to get a broader view.

I followed your advice and yes my RC is indeed US, also tried to set up with CS away from other WiFi but when trying to reconnect, message just says 2.4 ghz you in the wrong country, I can get connected to 2.4ghz using the method given by bright spark but only using OTG cable.
I also have no problem getting connection to 2.4 ghz using my iPhone 7 . I also have no problem setting up to P4Pro in both 5.8 and 2.4, and have tried Mavic no problems there.

I know CS is due some updates maybe this will help but I’m thinking unless they sort out OTG this may not be able to be fixed.
2017-10-20
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-20 03:27
I followed your advice and yes my RC is indeed US, also tried to set up with CS away from other WiFi but when trying to reconnect, message just says 2.4 ghz you in the wrong country, I can get connected to 2.4ghz using the method given by bright spark but only using OTG cable.
I also have no problem getting connection to 2.4 ghz using my iPhone 7 . I also have no problem setting up to P4Pro in both 5.8 and 2.4, and have tried Mavic no problems there.

As far as I know, P4P/Mavic is not using Wifi for aircraft to RC link, so aside having more interferences ,there is no "fundamental" impossibility to use 2.4 GHz for remote to P4P/Mavic (in DJI proprietary protocol) and 2.4GHz Wifi for RC to CS.

I would bet that this is what is happening when you are in 2.4 GHz with your P4P/MAvic (you can spy this with a PC and wifi scanner)

With Spark on the other hand wifi is used on both links therfore RC to Spark and RC to CS must be in opposite bands (2.4 and 5.8). As CS can not handle appropriate 5.8GHz channels... (now you know the end)

Thanks for confirmation that "all" Spark RC use US country code (I've also checked that My Spark when used without RC is using "FR" cdoe is I say change WLAN settings and "US" if I say "canel" to this WLAN setting dialog)

I'd be interested if you can spy/check what band CS to P4P/Mavic RC is used when you manage to set it to 2.4GHz
2017-10-20
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I accept what you say as I am not well versed in the technicalities, but I think CS connects with my home router on 5.8.
The CS connects with AC on 2.4 when no remote is used, so can't that be the set up when RC is used?
2017-10-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-20 06:28
I accept what you say as I am not well versed in the technicalities, but I think CS connects with my home router on 5.8.
The CS connects with AC on 2.4 when no remote is used, so can't that be the set up when RC is used?

Well that’s what you would think, but I don’t see that been fixed until either FW fix or they give the ok for OTG which according to their website is coming soon.
But I have to say having a dedicated monitor is the way to go no more hassle with Bluetooth or airplane mode getting text messages and a much longer battery better playback etc, I’m loving this little monitor, I’m seriously thinking of getting the 7.5 for my P4Pro.
2017-10-20
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-20 06:28

Either your home router is using a regdomain different from UK (or GB) where 149 to 161 channels are allowed.

More probably your home router uses the full range of 5.8GHz channels and CS uses one it's "allowed to by its internal database" when connecting with your router.

On your router, can you set the 5.8GHz channel manually (to one in 149 161) instead of the "automatic" default setting ? I bet that if your AP is using a UK (or GB) regdomain (check this too with wifiscaner) and 149 to 161 channel, then you will not be able to connect to your router in 5.8GHz from CS.
2017-10-20
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

I agree they should officially give an official GO to OTG cables. That would solve everything the easy way
2017-10-20
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks for info. I think I see.  My router must by default use channel other than 149-161?
If it was forced onto 149 - 161 channel, CS wouldn't connect? So is router technically not allowed to do this?
It's off the shelf BT infinity set up.

2017-10-20
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-20 07:15
Thanks for info. I think I see.  My router must by default use channel other than 149-161?
If it was forced onto 149 - 161 channel, CS wouldn't connect? So is router technically not allowed to do this?
It's off the shelf BT infinity set up.

That is exactly my hypothesis...

149 to 161 channels should be allowed in Europe by all hardware as long as it implements the adequate power restrictions.
However, some hardware do use it (like the Spark RC, also it is not clear to me if it really comply to EU rules as the broadcasted country code is always US) and many other hardware do not allow those channels, because most often they rely on a rules database that is not up to date.
Apple has updated its devices properly and can use it. Most other devcies not.
2017-10-20
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So when CS won't connect to remote in 5.8, which is blocking?We deduce CS must use other than 149-161 when connecting to home router, so remote must only want to use 149-161.
2017-10-20
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-20 08:14
So when CS won't connect to remote in 5.8, which is blocking?We deduce CS must use other than 149-161 when connecting to home router, so remote must only want to use 149-161.

exactly, remotes (Spark, Mavic, P4P) can only use 149 to 161, this is the 5,725 - 5,825 GHz range that you will find in DJI Specs (other 5.8GHz channels are below 5.725)

check table at the end of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

This is a very small subset of 5.8Ghz Wifi channels and most android devices are having trouble with it, if they use a EU regdomain.

What is strange is why a CS in europe without SIM card, GPS position or "view" of many broadcasted country code (by neighbouring wifi) would use a european country code that pervent this band when the remote is broadcasting "US" that should result in allowing those channels (the regulatroy database is correct for those channels under US code)

That's why I was suggesting to remove all recorded wifi networks, turn GPS off, turn CS off, turn RC on, and then CS on again and then pair its Wifi. (if possible without other wifi networks in neighborhood)

I was hopping that this way, the CS would stick to the US regdomain of the RC and allow 5.8GHz.

(upon start, Wifi regdomain is usually set to 00 = world code that temporarily allows all channels to allow pairing).
By some mechanism that i can not understand yet, the CS must already be in a regdomain that prevent 5.8GHz  SRD channels.
2017-10-20
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thankyou very much for your explanations.
I'm trying to gen up on it as best I can, because themore you know , the safer ( and more enjoyable)  your flying.
I must agree too with wachberger, once you're crystalsky equipped, it's unbelievable how you managed at all.!
2017-10-20
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sorry I meant Hallmark.
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules