Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
MP Platinum - Have to return due to error
1959 28 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UPTGrad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1447884 ft
  • >>>
United States

Finally got the new Mavic Pro Platinum yesterday.  Ordered on 9/4.
I have an error:
Air Encoder Error (0x4000000)

Can't find the error description anywhere.  Support wasn't too sure, but sounds like a hardware issue.
I have to send it back.
Ahh.  Never got to fly it.
2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might not want to put the carriage before the horse.  Mods maybe able to troubleshoot with you; explain the steps you took? and how the error occurred.
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

UPTGrad- Were you using an Apple device?  Was everything working fine before you upgraded the firmware?  Before sending it back, I would first try using DJI Assistant 2 to reinstall the firmware.  Lots of folks on the MP forum are saying they got this error after upgrading the firmware wirelessly.
2017-10-18
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks.  Couldn't find error description anywhere on the web/google.
Has not flown, as it's new out of the box.
All software updated.  "Similar" errors (starting with 8...) like "Air Encoder Error (0x8...)" had memory cards as a possible solution.
I pulled out/re-insearted the 16G card that came with it. Reformatted card also.
I also tried a new 64G that I got from the DJI store as well.  Reformatted, etc.

I re-installed all software on Platinum, and controller.
As a side note, My Mac Book Pro Computer using DJI Assistant 2 did not like connecting to the controller for reset.
Said "USB Accessories Disabled.   Unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices"

I used a Windows 10 computer to reset the Platinum controller with no problem.
I also re-calibrated the gimbal.
Platinum compass calibrates ok also.

I am using an Apple iPhone 7+
So, everything looks good.
No real errors.  The only thing I have is in the overall Status:
"Air Encoder Error (0x4000000)

DJI support wasn't too sure what it is, but thinks it's a hardware issue.
Tried everything I can think of.
Don't want to fly it as it's brand new out of the box.

I feel bad cause I ordered this in Early September.
2017-10-18
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thank you "Irate Retro". :>)
Yes, When I set it up, I was using an Apple iPhone (ver 11.0.3)
Thank you for the feedback that others have had this issue.
However, I reset everything using DJI Assistant 2.
Still have same error.
I feel like it is fixable.  I just have run out of ideas at this point.
2017-10-18
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Remember if you send it back, you will not get yours back or a NEW replacement.  If this doesn't bother you, then I guess any craft that works out of the box is good.
2017-10-18
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for that.  You know, support did say something like "as good a condition"    I thought they were kidding about sending me a used one after waiting since Early September.
I just assumed I would return it new, and they would send me a new one in the box as a replacement.    Hmmm.  That may not be the case.  I'll have to think about this.
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Yeah normally you stand a good chance of getting a refurb as replacement.  But at this stage of the game, how many MPPs have been crashed, returned, and reburbished by DJI already?  I mean they just started shipping them, right?  Seems like you have good odds of getting a new one.  I'd still make a good effort to solve the problem first.  Starting with DOWNgrading the firmware.  I can't go into details here but you can find info on other forums.
2017-10-18
Use props
Dejongdude38
lvl.1
United States

After you have refreshed the software, try plugging in your phone through the USB in the middle of the RC. I flew 20 minutes and had no problem. I haven't had the opportunity to fly it again. SO just unplug the micro USB on the left on the RC and use the USB on the bottom on the RC and see if that works.
2017-10-18
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks all for the suggestions.    I used a Windows 10 Computer this time, and rolled back the software of the Platinum.
After booting in the previous version, the "Overall Status" only said "Requires update. ..."   No error here.  It just wanted to update.
I used the DJI Assistant 2 to continue and update to the current version.
Ahhh!  The only error I have is the same thing:
Overall Status:  "Air Encoder Error (0x4000000)

I restarted the MP Platinum with and without a memory card.
I took pictures and videos, and it appears to work.
I also used the USB connection of the controller to connect to my iPhone.

Still, no luck.
Darn.  I feel like it can be fixed, but I think I've tried everything.
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

So you're saying there was no error with the rolled-back firmware version, and you think it would have flown and worked fine?  You might consider just flying it on that firmware version for now.  This problem is obviously somewhat widespread, and DJI may be able to fix it in the next firmware version.  You could give them like a month and then send it in as a last resort.  It's not like DJI's gonna give you a gold star for returning it in an unflown condition, right?  I guess that's up to you, and it's a gamble either way.
2017-10-18
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thank you.  Yes, I rolled it back, and upgraded via Assistant 2.  This time I used a Windows computer.  Same error.   DJI says it will take 2 days to get my return set up.  Maybe by then they can issue a fix.
I want to return it while I can with 0 flights.
Thanks again.
2017-10-18
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

have you tried a different iPhone? probably a dumb question but had to ask...
2017-10-18
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

HyLenz Posted at 2017-10-18 16:05

Also maybe try the iPhone in Airplane mode...
2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HyLenz Posted at 2017-10-18 16:05

Not a dumb question, you ask whatever you like!  
2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

UPTGrad Posted at 2017-10-18 15:49
Thank you.  Yes, I rolled it back, and upgraded via Assistant 2.  This time I used a Windows computer.  Same error.   DJI says it will take 2 days to get my return set up.  Maybe by then they can issue a fix.
I want to return it while I can with 0 flights.
Thanks again.

"Yes, I rolled it back, and upgraded via Assistant 2"

That would've been my suggestion and now convinced you must have gotten a lemon. Sucks ! especially waiting for weeks on end for the MPP. Since they aren't any flights logged hopefully DJI will do the right thing and ship you a brand new one and not anything less.
2017-10-18
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sucks you have to return it for a repair, hopefully not all or most of them went out that way.
2017-10-18
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I have refreshed all devices using Assistant 2.
After monitoring this group for about a month waiting for the platinum, I've decided to return the product.
You know that if I take off to test it, I won't be able to return it for a full refund.  DJI will say the Air Encoder Error is due to a crash.
The fact that I was on email chat for over 45 minutes and support still could not tell me what the error code meant, means there is a good chance it's a hardware issue.
That is what support came to the conclusion.  I have no idea why they didn't have a list of codes that we don't have, and tell me within about 1 minute.

It sounds like there are folks flying with this error and don't know it because they didn't check "Overall Status"
They are going to have to use a DJI care now that they flew it because DJI will blame them for the error.

If DJI told us what the error was, and asked to please hold on to the drone, that would be another think if they said we will honor the original condition if we can't fix it in a reasonable time.
Since they won't, I am afraid I have to return it for a full refund (while it has not flown) until this issue is resolved.
2017-10-19
Use props
Outie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

Got my MPP and also got the same error in Overall status. However it does not affect the flight afaik. I understand your concern, better safe than sorry.
2017-10-19
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

would it be a common problem (error)  across the new batch of Mavic Pro Platinum  ?
2017-10-20
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

UPTGrad Posted at 2017-10-18 10:48
Thank you for that.  You know, support did say something like "as good a condition"    I thought they were kidding about sending me a used one after waiting since Early September.
I just assumed I would return it new, and they would send me a new one in the box as a replacement.    Hmmm.  That may not be the case.  I'll have to think about this.

Probably aren't too many referb'd Platinum's at this point.
2017-10-20
Use props
Greg-EastTN
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-18 21:06
Sorry for the trouble that had been caused, if the app tells Air Encoder Error (0x4000000), please check if the drone can be used normally, it could be the false message of the app. If you can't initiate the drone, please try to restart the drone to see will the error message disappear, and also refresh the firmware is a way to try. Please keep us updated if the drone doesn't work properly except the error code.

I have also gotten the "Air Encoder Error (0X4000000)" error on my MPP received 10/17/2017 and never had the props spin yet - I set mine up with an I-Pad Mini 4 which I bought brand new from the Apple Store yesterday, 10/19/2017 just for this use - Will try these fixes discussed here - How do I get Assistant 2 and what is your recommended way to update the firmware - New I-Pad Mini 4 does not seem to want to down load Assistant 2 even though it downloaded DJI GO 4 app just fine - Absolutely not OK with getting a refurb replacement when the new one never flew - Thank you
2017-10-20
Use props
Greg-EastTN
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-18 21:06
Sorry for the trouble that had been caused, if the app tells Air Encoder Error (0x4000000), please check if the drone can be used normally, it could be the false message of the app. If you can't initiate the drone, please try to restart the drone to see will the error message disappear, and also refresh the firmware is a way to try. Please keep us updated if the drone doesn't work properly except the error code.

I have also gotten the "Air Encoder Error (0X4000000)" error on my MPP received 10/17/2017 and never had the props spin yet - I set mine up with an I-Pad Mini 4 which I bought brand new from the Apple Store yesterday, 10/19/2017 just for this use - Will try these fixes discussed here - How do I get Assistant 2 and what is your recommended way to update the firmware - New I-Pad Mini 4 does not seem to want to down load Assistant 2 even though it downloaded DJI GO 4 app just fine - Absolutely not OK with getting a refurb replacement when the new one never flew - Thank you
2017-10-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Greg-EastTN Posted at 2017-10-20 05:48

"How do I get Assistant 2"

Choose appropriate link and download using PC/MAC.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-4/info#downloads

2017-10-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, I am sorry for the late reply, now it is confirmed that it is normal if you are using an iOS device with Mavic Pro Platinum. It is just a false error message on the app. Please now just ignore it and our engineers will get it sorted soon.
2017-10-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, please refer to my answer on 16#, sorry to the misleading previously, I'll delete that reply. And DJI assistant 2 can only be installed on a PC, it doesn't support mobile device at the moment. Thanks for your kind understanding.
2017-10-23
Use props
Greg-EastTN
lvl.1
United States

Got a reply from DJI on the above -

We are very sorry to hear that you're getting such error. We take these reports very seriously and want to provide you with the best support possible.

Can you fly your Mavic pro without a problem? Since the Air Encoder (0x4000000) is just a glitch in the Go app system but doesn't affect the performance of your Mavic. We are already aware of this and our Research and Development department is already working on this. Kindly wait for the next update and it is expected that it won't show up in the future update. We thank you for your understanding.  Thank you

Seems like a fix is in the works and the issue is benign - Will try to fly ASAP
2017-10-24
Use props
Greg-EastTN
lvl.1
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-20 05:54
"How do I get Assistant 2"

Choose appropriate link and download using PC/MAC.

That worked - Thank you!!!
2017-10-25
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Greg-EastTN Posted at 2017-10-25 18:36
That worked - Thank you!!!

Oh no problem, glad it worked.  
2017-10-26