Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
1080p 60fps fixed/better on new regular/platinum mavics?
6828 19 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jan Tomas
lvl.1

Spain

Hey there guys, first of all excuse any english as I'm not native.

Fist thread I post in the forums

Alright, I've been obsessed like crazy researching about the 60fps problems in the mavic that make the video totally unusable. If you don't know what i'm talking about see this video here:

As you can see it's not just moire problems, some trees are literally pixels, everything is jelly and moving arround and well, it's just bad.

So, researching a lot I found this guy who posted this video:

It feels like 60fps, he has a mavic controller and well, it seems real.

As you can see there are some moire problems in the fans, but nothing really bad, especially not compared with other 1080/60fps videos out there.

This guy claims he bought the REGULAR mavic in October, and has 1.04.00 firmware on it.

So, I'm just here to ask the experts... is this real? Might DJI have fixed (or at least made better) the 1080/60 issue in the new units of regular/platinum mavic?

Any discussion will be apreciated. Thanks!
2017-10-18
Use props
Jan Tomas
lvl.1

Spain

2017-10-18
Use props
Jan Tomas
lvl.1

Spain

I just found this video! This guy just bought it and also posted a 1080p60fps in his first flight.

It also looks better than the first video I posted from an old mavic.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Could you please upload an original sample from the SD card to Dropbox and provide me with the link, I'll help to check. For the moire pattern,  the influence of it can be relieved by decreasing the sharpness of camera. It is recommended to lower the levels of sharpness one by one to observe the effect.
2017-10-18
Use props
BalticSeaPilot
lvl.1
Germany

The 1080 50/60 fps is not an issue nor a problem. It is a compromise in favour of the FPV/Goggles - Users. Why?
We know the Mavic has an 4k-sensor. When filming in 1080, four pixels are mixed together and rendered into one. This takes up time, which you don't have when flying FPV. There should be ideally no latency at all, because when you see a tree approaching in your goggles, it should be realtime and not seconds later, when the Mavic has hit the tree already. Just see how long it takes to render 4k footage to 1080 at home with an computer. The Mavic hasn't got that much time, therefore the output to 1080 is as bad as it is. Learn to live with it or use 2,7 or 4k.
2017-10-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

No, it's the same Sony IMX377 processor.  Anything over 30fps will be pixel-binned like Baltic stated.  Even the DJI Goggles show a little moire since they're getting the 60fps, but you've REALLY got to be looking for that (otherwise unnoticeable).  If you get the goggles, you won't care.  
2017-10-18
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

BalticSeaPilot Posted at 2017-10-18 20:45
The 1080 50/60 fps is not an issue nor a problem. It is a compromise in favour of the FPV/Goggles - Users. Why?
We know the Mavic has an 4k-sensor. When filming in 1080, four pixels are mixed together and rendered into one. This takes up time, which you don't have when flying FPV. There should be ideally no latency at all, because when you see a tree approaching in your goggles, it should be realtime and not seconds later, when the Mavic has hit the tree already. Just see how long it takes to render 4k footage to 1080 at home with an computer. The Mavic hasn't got that much time, therefore the output to 1080 is as bad as it is. Learn to live with it or use 2,7 or 4k.

I am sure the engineers at DJI are smart enough to distinguish between a 1080/60 record and a 1080/60 goggle transmission. Either they do not want to support proper 1080/60fps or the hardware is insufficient to produce standard quality 1080/60 clips. As the Platinum is said to produce better 1080/60, I guess it is a hardware issue.
2017-10-18
Use props
Jan Tomas
lvl.1

Spain

Dronoob Posted at 2017-10-18 22:37
I am sure the engineers at DJI are smart enough to distinguish between a 1080/60 record and a 1080/60 goggle transmission. Either they do not want to support proper 1080/60fps or the hardware is insufficient to produce standard quality 1080/60 clips. As the Platinum is said to produce better 1080/60, I guess it is a hardware issue.

As I said already. The clips I posted are from a regular mavic (bought 1-2 weeks ago)

And the 1080/60 is way better than the ones we've seen before.

So my take is they fixed it via hardware for the new platinum and since the camera is pretty much identical as the regular one (apart from this fix) they're upgrading it in new regular mavics too.

As I said this is just especulation, but the videos I posted are there, meaning something has changed, not only in the platinum but also on new units of regular mavics.
2017-10-19
Use props
Jan Tomas
lvl.1

Spain

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-18 19:57
Could you please upload an original sample from the SD card to Dropbox and provide me with the link, I'll help to check. For the moire pattern,  the influence of it can be relieved by decreasing the sharpness of camera. It is recommended to lower the levels of sharpness one by one to observe the effect.

The videos are not mine, but the owner of the youtube video I posted is responsive (he answered my coments)

He will probably provide them for you.

And yeah he probably didn't change the sharpness settings to -1. Which would've made the moire better.
2017-10-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Really hope they will fix this indeed.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Jan Tomas Posted at 2017-10-19 07:06
The videos are not mine, but the owner of the youtube video I posted is responsive (he answered my coments)

He will probably provide them for you.

Okay, we are looking forward to the reply.
2017-10-19
Use props
Jan Tomas
lvl.1

Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-19 10:02
Really hope they will fix this indeed.

To be honest I expected some more attention into this post.

I thought this was one of the most requested fixes in the mavic :/
2017-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jan Tomas Posted at 2017-10-20 08:54
To be honest I expected some more attention into this post.

I thought this was one of the most requested fixes in the mavic :/

Yeah, you would say so.
2017-10-20
Use props
NavigatorNL
First Officer
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Lot of pilots only use 4k because of this problem. It doesn't matter to me....... anymore.
2017-10-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-10-22 06:40
Lot of pilots only use 4k because of this problem. It doesn't matter to me....... anymore.

Yeah, I'm kind of spoiled by the higher-res options and can't stand to look at 1080p, what I really would like is 60fps at 2.7 or 4K. Till then I'm honing my slow-turn piloting skills, I guess.
2017-10-22
Use props
Jan Tomas
lvl.1

Spain

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-10-22 09:05
Yeah, I'm kind of spoiled by the higher-res options and can't stand to look at 1080p, what I really would like is 60fps at 2.7 or 4K. Till then I'm honing my slow-turn piloting skills, I guess.

60 fps is not only for slow motion.

30 fps looks fine for most slow shots but if you wanna fly close to anything or just have any fast action... I can personally see the frames in 30 fps, in 60 it's really more fluid in my opinion and better in those kind of shots.
2017-10-22
Use props
lucrousseau
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256654 ft
Canada

2 different drone, same firmware, different results, so DJI made a hardware change in the regular magic pro?!

2017-10-31
Use props
RobbinB
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Sweden

lucrousseau Posted at 2017-10-31 08:40
2 different drone, same firmware, different results, so DJI made a hardware change in the regular magic pro?!

i would say that this video doesnt show much, because the lighting is not the same. the "ribs" does not have the same light and is not shown as the 1st video, they are barely visible, and then of coarse will not give you any problem.

edit: you can still see the problem at the very end of the video, on the roof at the small white building that is in the middle before video ends.
2017-10-31
Use props
fans5741e3a3
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Another test in almost the same light conditions

2017-11-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is clearly noticeable to me and yes, the image quality has definitely improved. Another little detail is that if you watch people on YT unbox the new Mavic Pro Platinum the sticker on top of the gimbal is now red and not yellow - several claim that this is due to the new Mavic's camera being upgraded though nothing has been officially announced to confirm this. l know recent FW has improved image quality too.  
2017-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules