Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The Great Fire of Northern California
963 11 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hey There Studi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 322585 ft
United States

On October 8th, 2017, the wildfire of Tubbs lane engulfed Sonoma county. A week later Hey There Studios set out to experience and share with the world the fires of Northern California. Watch the devastation and loss of homes and businesses as the residents are left with nothing but ash and a strong spirit.  

To help out the victims begin their lives again, donate now:
https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/napafirerelief

Facebook: @heytherestudios
Instagram: @heytherestudios
Twitter: @heytherestudios

2017-10-18
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

That's sad... why so many people in the US build their houses with wood? Is it too expensive to use brick walls and concrete ceilings?
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-18 14:28
That's sad... why so many people in the US build their houses with wood? Is it too expensive to use brick walls and concrete ceilings?

We do it just to make the treehuggers mad.  Also it's very fast to construct and cheaper.  I'm a bit confused about your use of the phrase "too expensive".  It doesn't need to be "too expensive" to be less desirable, only "more expensive".  Builders want things cheap, unless it adds value.  Fire resistance doesn't really add value; it's not sexy enough.  Silly crap like granite countertops, that they'll spend money on.

If your walls are solid brick and your ceilings are concrete, where do you run your electrical and HVAC stuff?  Exposed conduit and ducts would be a bit industrial looking for a house, wouldn't it?
2017-10-18
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 14:44
We do it just to make the treehuggers mad.  Also it's very fast to construct and cheaper.  I'm a bit confused about your use of the phrase "too expensive".  It doesn't need to be "too expensive" to be less desirable, only "more expensive".  Builders want things cheap, unless it adds value.  Fire resistance doesn't really add value; it's not sexy enough.  Silly crap like granite countertops, that they'll spend money on.

If your walls are solid brick and your ceilings are concrete, where do you run your electrical and HVAC stuff?  Exposed conduit and ducts would be a bit industrial looking for a house, wouldn't it?

I'm not going to teach you civil engineering... you can go to a construction forum and search for that, though.... But you answered my question... cheap wooden made houses don't stand after a fire...
2017-10-18
Use props
randy.sauder
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Sad and tragic.  Thanks for providing, and the donation links.
2017-10-18
Use props
Tombolian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-18 14:49
I'm not going to teach you civil engineering... you can go to a construction forum and search for that, though.... But you answered my question... cheap wooden made houses don't stand after a fire...

Actually, I think the answer you were seeking was because we live on the San Andreas, and other, faults.  Few houses in California are made out of stone for (I thought) obvious reasons; Your house WILL encounter an earthquake, but it only MIGHT be in a forest fire (OK, it’s not likely at all that it will be in a forest fire).
2017-10-18
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very sad indeed, we can see some of the smoke over the hills here in Reno.
2017-10-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Captain
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I live about 100 miles south of the fires.  There is so much tragedy in all this.  In addition to all the lives, businesses, and homes lost, there were also hundreds of horses and other animals that needed to be rescued and put into temporary facilities.  Two large fairgrounds in the area each got a few hundred horses and an initial call went out for assistance there.  I'm retired, an equestrian (thus, comfortable around horses), and I have an RV.  I sent in my availability to come up and stay multi days at one of those locations to assist, but never heard anything back.  They both said, "Do not just show up - ensure we know you're coming".  So, I'm hoping it was simply that they have plenty of volunteers.   I've contributed cash.  If you can, please do also.
2017-10-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I may be in Nebraska now, but I was raised in the Redwoods (EKA).  My folks were in SR but have both passed on.  A good friend from here retired to SR area about 20 yrs ago.  He lost everything except the family in the fire near Windsor.  The expanse of the devastation is amazing.  I've never seen anything spread so fast and be so destructive to so much.  So many people have lost everything in the last few months of fires and hurricanes, the nation is going to be paying for a generation.  Really sad.  Thank you for the footage.  I would love to see more if/when you post it.

Thank you.
2017-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad view, well shot.
2017-10-19
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

wow what a sight to see
2017-10-31
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

I covered the fires with my mavic in Knysna this year - by comparison yr footage is very well shot .

Incredible damage and loss of property - very sad.

2017-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules