Mavic Pro Continued Auto Focus Question
3825 10 2017-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CanyMan_ZA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356476 ft
South Africa

Hi all. This is my first post. I currently don't own a drone but have been lurking forums and vids for a long time now. I want to buy a Mavic Pro Platinum when it becomes available here in South Africa but I have a question and I havn't really found an answer to it yet?

I am aware the Mavic Pro does not have a Continued Auto Focus mode, not sure why not as I would have thought this would be a really valuable feature, eg. when flying straight up or down, or when wanting to keep the object in the centre view in focus at all times or locked onto a subject, ie. not having to regularly tap the screen. Just seems odd that this is not supported as it is a basic feature on many compact action cameras nowadays. I have been reluctant to get a Mavic Pro yet as this really perturbs me.

So, my question is, how do you find tapping the screen regularly to focus?

I assume once you tap the screen to focus and the camera focuses you have to still continually tap the screen as the drone moves closer or away from the object?

Does the Spark behave the same way as the Mavic Pro, albeit that it does also have a wide angle view with infinity focus?

I look forward to your rersponse.

Thank you
Kevin
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
2017-10-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

U could just use "afc" it pretty much auto focuses for u. Doesnt interfere either after starting a video etc, i usually bring mavic up if i have it on manual focus and aim camera to horizon / slash top of trees amd focus to infinity. And it will stay like that whole flight
2017-10-19
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

AFC = Auto focus continuous.  Sounds like this is exactly what you want?

That's the first thing I turned OFF right out of the box.  The last thing you want is for your shot to be spoiled while the thing hunts for the correct focus at an unexpected moment.  I just do as $gambino$ does... climb out and focus at infinity using some distant trees.  (The focus still turns out soft as hell compared to the P4 camera but that's another matter.)  There's really no need to fuss with it again the entire flight unless you're getting rather close to something.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mavic has Continued Auto Focus mode, like Gambino mentioned, you can use AFC. It is on camera settings. BTW, Spark doesn't have AFC mode. AFC.jpeg
2017-10-19
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Litchi has also a good AFC feature
2017-10-19
Use props
jupiter
New
Flight distance : 502 ft
Panama

I upgraded the software and now  my camera not focusing at all, :-(
2017-10-19
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

MEssed up the post
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

jupiter Posted at 2017-10-19 07:27

Could you please provide us with more details about your case? Please try AF, and reset the camera settings. If the camera still works out of focus, please provide us with some original pictures which use AF mode from the SD card, send them to Dropbox and paste the link here, I'll help to check.
2017-10-19
Use props
djiuser_yWtpzcGYGLcq
New

I am having the same issue a focus bar has appeared on the right side of the screen and the mavic doesn't seem to be able to recognize infinity
2018-7-25
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

It's not a massive problem,  the MP has a wide aperture f/2.2 lens which when you calculate the numbers for that and sensor size it works out anything 5m or so away is infinity focus.  So in reality unless you're flying within 5m of things, simply setting it to an object more than 5m away will result in focus.  You dont need to keep readjusting unless you fly REALLY close to things.  Normally set it once on takeoff on something 5+m away then forget about it.  The depth of field is huge with a wide aperture and small sensor.  By not having continous AF on all the time it avoids the issue of it occasionally focus hunting screwing up footage.
Plug the numbers in here:-
http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html
The Pentax Q has the same sensor size as the MP in those menus.

2018-7-25
Use props
Ken22_Mavic_Pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1821 ft
United States

djiuser_yWtpzcGYGLcq Posted at 2018-7-25 10:37

OK, I'm new here.  Owned a Mavic Pro for about 3 weeks and I love it.  However, more and more I'm convinced that DJI software follows a common software recommendation, which is:
Don't upgrade ANYTHING until you just have to.
Sorry if that upsets DJI, but, honestly, I read a lot of forums and it seems that most of the problems being with the words "I just upgraded...."
2018-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules