Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fix for Oversharpened Footage
4149 2 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
augusthansen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89498 ft
United States

We all know that the sharpness default at 0 is too sharp and -1 is too dull.  I'm sure there are a million ways to do this, but the quickest and easiest solution I have found is to shoot with the sharpness defaulted at 0 and import your footage into, in my case, FCPX.  Add a clip to the timeline and add a Gaussian Blur to the clip and set the amount at 1.  This tones down the sharpness just enough to go from camcorder look to film look.   Just a quick tip, let me know if you have found a better way to handle oversharpening, im all ears and eyes.  Cheers!
2015-4-8
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I don't mind the sharpness so much... sure with my face up against the screen it is obviously to sharp but for normal viewing it does not bother me... I know exactly where you are coming from tho... Gaussian blur is nice but sometimes I like to use the "focus" filter in FCPX... Dialed down and adjusted to my liking... Sometimes the sharpness of the surrounding image is to heavy so it is nice to blur it slightly and draw focus to the subject... granted at default levels it is over kill and looks cheesy but with a little adjusting I have had some nice results...
2015-4-8
Use props
augusthansen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89498 ft
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-9 04:55
I don't mind the sharpness so much... sure with my face up against the screen it is obviously to sha ...

Exaxtly.  Sometimes the sharpness is ok, but when Im doing low flying shots for example, the grass will just be way too crispy and "sparkly".  I do the same thing with focus blur, it can add a nice effect if you use it properly.  
2015-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules