Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sound support?
16531 37 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MilspecJSC
lvl.3

United States

I see nothing noted about whether the P3 will also capture sound. Anyone know?
2015-4-8
Use props
rinconol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 232566 ft
United States

In some of the live feeds in today's show  you can hear the prop motors.
2015-4-8
Use props
jimmyd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219275 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I am also wondering about the sound.  Will sound from the Ipad/tablet/phone mic be uploaded to youtube along with the video when live streaming?
2015-4-8
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.4

United States

why???????/
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

If they had sound...and if they had the ability for the cam to be removed and mounted on something else...that would definitely increase the value proposition!

BUT, they priced it so well they probably don't need to. DJI is aiming for the sky and I don't think they spend much time trying to capture smaller parts of the market...I suspect some apps will likely do stabilized video anyway (like the BeBop).
2015-4-8
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

I don't understand the question. Do you really want the annoying sound and whine of the motors and rotors? Why?
2015-4-9
Use props
kss113
lvl.3
United States

Why ask why?  Because people might want to hear sound, like me.  It's suppose to be quieter, so maybe you could hear people or other thing going on around you.  Like goPro.  Why have sound if your using it on you motorcycle or car or hiking or skiing do you want to hear your skis in the snow or you running over gravel/sand, or your motorcycle engine or car engine.  It's all part of the experience.  And if you use video editing software you can modify the sound anyway ( remove it, make it quieter ect..)..  Ohhh and one more point what if you just want to use the camera without the drone engines on..?? Use it as a camera to video?
2015-4-9
Use props
christer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

kss113@hotmail. Posted at 2015-4-10 08:25
Why ask why?  Because people might want to hear sound, like me.  It's suppose to be quieter, so mayb ...

Makes no sense, ill rather have higher bitrates on the picture, than having useless humming sound.
Use camera without drone? Impossible, its like saying, what if i want to use my motorbike as a bicycle, can i remove the silencer...
Its not designed for it, so how can you expect it to be for non intentional use?
2015-4-10
Use props
kss113
lvl.3
United States

christer@christ Posted at 2015-4-10 19:18
Makes no sense, ill rather have higher bitrates on the picture, than having useless humming sound. ...

??  I can esaly turn on the battery without the prop and video  what you said about impossible is false. .  That makes no sense.  Maybe I want to film my buddy and his droneand get sound.  You make no senses.  Like I said before people want  it for their own reasons, not yours or what you would rather have.  I would also like to have a zoom camera.  But that's not what this string was about.
2015-4-11
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

>>maybe you could hear people or other thing going on around you.<<
If you want to record ambient sound (other than the annoying motor and prop noise generated by the P3), then use a separate digital recorder. You can pick one up for less than $100, and since you're moving the sound pick-up off the drone, the quality will be MUCH MUCH better. You'll have to sync the sound and video in post, but that's pretty simple to do, especially using a clapboard or some other sound flag. Another alternative that's "Free", or close to it, is to use your iPhone's or iPad's recording capability.
2015-4-11
Use props
kss113
lvl.3
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-4-12 11:55
>>maybe you could hear people or other thing going on around you.

Technology. Its about simpicity and not having to buy more equipment or do do more editing.  The technology exists. Example.  I do not own or have a smartphone, only my phantom.  I am in a car recording my friend following us with his phantom, on a remote dirt road.  I would like to get the sounds of what's going on in the car..  just one example of where sound would be nice to  again maybe you are on vacation and you are  or want to record what's going on around you while flying. With editing software you can edit out the buzzing and have the sound. Without having to cut and splice from multiple devices.
2015-4-11
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

The reality is if there was a microphone on the Phantom 3, you wouldn't be able to hear "people talking" unless the P3 was in very close proximity to the people, even IF the P3 was completely silent. And even then, the quality of the sound would be horrible.

You want to "record what's going on around you while flying."? You mean what's going on around YOU or your Phantom?

This is exactly why on-camera mic's on even DSLR's are rarely used in professional productions. The quality is awful. They always, and I mean ALWAYS use an external microphone of some sort, even if the external mic is a shotgun mic mounted to the top of the DSLR.

Editing out the buzz in post is nowhere near as easy as you make it seem. Think of the hundreds of professionally-produced aerial video's you've seen. How many of these included the sound of the drone? I can't recall a single one. Not one.

In the end, though, the question is moot since none of DJI's cameras have sound capability, and I don't think most people miss it at all.

>>Without having to cut and splice from multiple devices.<<

Have you even edited in a recent version of a non-linear digital editing program? Using terms like cutting and splicing remind me of systems from the 1990's and earlier.

Dropping in a sound track (vocal, music, etc) into an existing video is EASY to do - almost painless.

So you don't own a phone that can record? Ok, even the most rudimentary of portable recorders will be of superior quality to a microphone that DJI could have squeezed onboard the P3. In fact, you can buy a stand alone miniature recorder and attach it to the P3 airframe if you want, although again, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that.

To each his/her own poison, as they say.
2015-4-11
Use props
jimmyd
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Personally, I want the app device microphone to capture the sound. Example:   Just think of it, you could be doing a Live report to youtube directly from your phantom which is in the sky while you are below discussing what you see.  Otherwise we will all be streaming soundless videos to youtube.
2015-4-12
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

Jimmy, OK. So you want there to be a microphone on the controller AND the capability for the app to record and stream ground conversations? Yeah, and I'd like my Honda Element better if it were a Lamborghini...

I know you said you don't have a smartphone (BTW, if you don't have a smartphone, how are you planning on getting FPV?), but 95% or more of the rest of us do, and I can almost guarantee that DJI and other UAV OEM's wouldn't waste their time, and add the costs associated with, adding a microphone to the controller and sound recording capability to the app when they know users will already have that function on their cell phone.
2015-4-12
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Not sure why you want this.  I you look at videos taken with GoPro you hear motor noise. and then more  motor noise.  What are you hoping to record?
2015-4-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sound support is very inexpensive to provide and does not take up much memory. It would be a good addition for many reasons - and it would be nice to know if it had it. Here are some reasons....

1. Some videos like to have the prop sounds - turn them down a lot in post and then put music over them. You can then hear, in the case of some racing around, how the motors are moving.
2. The use of the camera and gimbal when either mounted to a "stick" or when using it hand-held (the phantom) as a stable platform - see this: http://dronexpert.nl/product/pre ... i-phantom-2-vision/
3. 3rd parties are working on directional mics with the ability to tun out certain frequencies - also, many events are very loud. I think you could film a demolition derby and still hear some crashes or motors.
4. Sound may be able to help with some troubleshooting - we'd know if the motors really shut off, etc.

That's off the top of my head. The inclusion of sound is not a waste of time because the ability to do all this is already built into many of the systems. It would not add to the price of the machine.

2015-4-12
Use props
irrbloss
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210669 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I'm actually glad there's no sound. Sure, it could have been made optional for those who want it. Personally I hate to remove the sound in post production. Also if doing work for someone and saying stupid things while on the ground, then clients would hear that if they want the "raw" files...
2015-4-12
Use props
jimmyd
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

dmwierz Posted at 2015-4-12 20:43
Jimmy, OK. So you want there to be a microphone on the controller AND the capability for the app to  ...

kss113 said they do not have a smart phone, not me.
You have a limited imagination.
2015-4-12
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

You have a limited imagination.

Ok, wow...glad you know me so well.
2015-4-13
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.4
United States

Odd... I'm livestreaming with the phantom just sitting on a table and there is sound coming from the youtube livestream... so there is a microphone on it somewhere.
2015-6-27
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-13 00:12
Not sure why you want this.  I you look at videos taken with GoPro you hear motor noise. and then mo ...

Pretty much what I was going to say. At one point someone wants a mic, then the thread expands to wanting to hear what's going on inside the car with the Phantom following. What? But doesn't want to do any sound editing. What?

Hook up a GoPro to your quad and get that really obnoxious buzzing sound from the motors. Go really fast with your GoPro camera on the quad and you'll get rid of that nasty buzzing sound. It will be replaced by that incredible roar of the wind in the GoPro mic! LOL

That said, if someone *could* make a mic pickup that would null out the buzzing of the motors, that would be cool. Although someone cruising at 200 feet up will hear........????
2015-6-28
Use props
ckizer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 369177 ft
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-28 20:34
Pretty much what I was going to say. At one point someone wants a mic, then the thread expands to  ...

You know what would be awesome though? Using the DJI iPhone app to enable mic and just record an audio memo during the flight right onto the iPhone. Why? Because I could easily speak while flying have it recorded and sync it up with the video later. It could be done all in software, and the iPhone has amazing acoustics. You could even plug an external microphone if you were crazy into the headphones port for a professional solution. Technically you could just start the voice memo app in the background, and do this right now while running the DJI app, but you know how stability is ;-)

Software only solution to this is DJI enable recording audio from iPhone. Easy, breezy!
2015-8-12
Use props
amperial
lvl.1
United States

I just love when people answer a question with a question instead of just giving you a straight answer. Recently watched a YouTube video where someone was trying to rescue and land his drone from above the clouds. All sounds were there, the wind, the motors, the drops of water hitting the drone, very dramatic, you really fill like your are right there in the air because of the sound. Or that could be just some boring meaningless music instead. I would love to have the sound recording option on my Phantom 3.
A drone doesn't only fly. How about to land it somewhere with the ability to hear the sound around that place?
2015-8-26
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.4

United States

The Yuneec Q500+ 4K has sound...if it's THAT important, buy one of those...the camera can be removed and put on a steady grip to use like a camcorder too
2015-8-26
Use props
geoffreywolter
lvl.1
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-28 20:34
Pretty much what I was going to say. At one point someone wants a mic, then the thread expands to  ...

Yeah, you need multiple directional microphones in my opinion. Have one pointed to pick up the noise of the rotors and use that signal to cancel out the noise in the other directional microphone that is pointed downwards away from the rotors. Similar to how most active noise canceling headphones remove environmental sounds. I personally don't see much advantage to it, just adding weight to my flying camera, but there could be certain situations where I could understand people wanting to record audio as well as video. I've seen a thread here where some guy mounted an iPod Nano to record audio on his Phantom, but I absolutely wouldn't add the weight to my bird for the terrible sounding recordings that a janky system like that would give you... lots of wind noise and distorted propeller audio . Ultimately the quality has to be there to justify the added weight.
2015-8-26
Use props
QaaUz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 240161 ft
Denmark

brycerichert Posted at 2015-6-28 08:55
Odd... I'm livestreaming with the phantom just sitting on a table and there is sound coming from the ...

From which OS - apl or andrd? (If u don't mind replying - thanks in advance).
2015-8-30
Use props
agrewe
lvl.3

United Kingdom

amperial Posted at 2015-8-27 01:48
I just love when people answer a question with a question instead of just giving you a straight answ ...

Thing is, that kind of sound and video is only of interest to a minority of people flying drones as well. For the vast majority of the population these videos are boring and irrelevant. They will be much more interested in beautiful views of places, either with music or other sounds.

When I first started I kept the sound the GoPro recorded. I very quickly learned this put off the majority of my viewers, so I replaced the sound with something much nicer (in my case breaking waves and similar as most of the videos are of coastal landscapes and beaches)
2015-8-30
Use props
fans083cd5b1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32323 ft
United Kingdom

Having just filmed a fireworks display I can guarantee you would have heard those above the sound of the props, but instead I have a silent fireworks video which is actually a sad thing to watch.

Long story short, adding this as an option wouldn't effect any of you that don't want to use it, so why be so resistant to the idea? If other people want to put up with prop noise that's up to them. I'm always a little suspicious of people who are against ideas that have no effect on them.
2016-11-4
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

see there is a lot of answers but no real answer to your question.

The answer is NO.

2016-11-4
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-4 21:30
'Having just filmed a fireworks display I can guarantee you would have heard those above the sound  ...

This is typical of the responses in this thread, I didn't realise DJi pilots were so lacking in imagination or so negative. Rather than wasting time pointing out obvious stuff like prop noise, can you not use that effort to forward discussion about possible solutions like using the DJi Go app to record ambient audio? Which would definitely pick up fireworks and other stuff, I realise this would require a positive can do attitude and it isn't as cool as shooting ideas down, but I'm hopeful.
2016-11-4
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-4 23:09
As someone who spent a lifetime working in the film and television industry, we would not even thin ...

Astonishing, I really don't see what TV and movie production has to do with how I want to use my drone? I'm not making a movie or a TV show, again this is the problem here you're projecting your own use scenarios on to everyone else. But thanks for the pointless employment history.

I disagree about your synchronisation thing, I wasn't 10 miles away and I was hearing the sound almost in time with the fireworks and since I'm holding the controller and phone a couple of feet from my head it's going to hear much the same as me, so there was no synchronisation issue at least none that I cared about. But thanks for throwing in some needless complication so that you could then pointlessly explain it.

Again I'm not making professional videos why do you assume that I am or have any interest in doing so? It's like you're completely unable to see anything outside your own little world.
2016-11-4
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-4 23:41
Yeah, well good luck in having any sort of discussion on the subnject, since you appear to be tech ...

But you weren't offering anything in the way of discussion you're simply nit picking because we want to do different things from you. Just because you want to make professional grade stuff for TV and movies you can't assume the rest of us want the same thing. I don't see anyone in this thread asking for this as a professional solution so I don't understand why you'd use that as a rod to beat us with. So what we're amateurs and our videos are never going to be on TV, that's not everyone's reason for owning or flying a drone.
2016-11-4
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
United Kingdom

brycerichert Posted at 2015-6-28 06:55
Odd... I'm livestreaming with the phantom just sitting on a table and there is sound coming from the ...

I just tried it and it's using the mic on the phone/tablet, I noticed that it asked for access to it when I went through the livestream setup process. Once it starts there is an audio level meter on the phone so it's definitely picking up the audio.

This is basically what I was looking for, but without needing to livestream as I'm guessing the quality will be degraded significantly. would be handy if we could cache the video locally instead of streaming it.
2016-11-4
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Weyland_Yutani Posted at 2016-11-5 11:23
But you weren't offering anything in the way of discussion you're simply nit picking because we wa ...

Trying to record any sound other than the incessant motor/prop noise of the drone with a drone mounted microphone would be like trying to conduct a sensitive interview beside a large compressor and two jackhammers.
2016-11-4
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-11-5 07:22
Trying to record any sound other than the incessant motor/prop noise of the drone with a drone moun ...

Did you completely ignore the rest of my posts in this thread including the post directly above yours? I think this epitomises my experience on this forum, people rush to point out the negatives before actually reading things properly.

I'm not trying to record sound from a mic on the drone and you would have known that had you actually read my posts before going off half cocked.

there is an oddly negative attitude on this forum, especially if you want to do something that isn't exactly how the person responding would do it. I found this same discussion on another forum and it's an entirely different discussion because people are approaching it with a positive attitude, instead of trying to make themselves look smart.
2016-11-6
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-6 22:34
'Did you completely ignore the rest of my posts in this thread including the post directly above y ...

Why would I use an external recorder when my phone is a perfectly good recording device? Since we've already established it can stream audio and video via livestream it seems an easy fix to simply store that file locally.

Telling me to buy other equipment that's utterly pointless for the scenario I'm using it for isn't good advice, it's just a symptom of someone who likes to hear himself talking. Ironic that you should accuse me of trying to make myself look smart, I wasn't the one blowing on about my employment history on the internet and telling people that in the TV and movie business you would never dream of doing what we're trying to do, newsflash I'm not in the TV and movie business, talk about arrogance.
2016-11-6
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-7 01:11
The bit about the TV industry was to establish my credentials for offering the advice. It was pass ...

The problem is you didn't just use it to establish your credentials, you followed it directly with a pompous spiel about how you'd never do what we're trying to do in the film and television industry, which has zero to do with anything anyone has asked for in this thread.

You then followed that with a snide closing statement about being amateurish or professional, again no one in this thread is asking for this as a professional solution so the whole blowhard thing just came off as arrogant. Maybe in future you should read what people are asking and reply with information that's relevant and not just information you think might make you look smart.
2016-11-6
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-7 02:24
There is a simpler solution, perhaps I will just put you down as someone who is not worth replying ...

You mean I wont get anymore arrogant replies that have no relevance to anything I've said? I really can't see a downside here?

Like I said, maybe you should read what people are saying and respond accordingly, but drop the arrogant blowhard routine and people might be more receptive to what you're saying. I'm perfectly civil but I have a pretty low tolerance for people trying to inflate their ego on the back of my posts.

PS. I think you'll find you started with the insults, I rebuked you firmly but fairly and you started to throw around schoolyard insults which I thought was pretty childish.

Edit: It would seem that you agreed with my assessment and deleted the offending posts, this entire exchange was unnecessary and could have been avoided. Hopefully in future you'll be a bit less arogant now that I've deflated you somewhat, and that can only be a good thing.
2016-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules