Suggestion: fowrard and downward camera views transmitted to the app
1382 16 2017-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

If it is at all technically possible, it would be very useful to be able to see the feed from one downward and one forward facing sensor cameras in tha app. Maybe those streams can (at very low resolution) be interplated into the video feed, with the possibility to toggle their display/transmission. Then can be displayed in the floating windows, akin to the "histogram window".

Use cases:
- When filming straight down with the main camera, it would be benefitioal for safety, shot alignment and orientation to have a rought worward view from the forward sensor camera.
- When filming forward with the main camera, and doing descending/ascending shots, it would be benefitial to have a visual reference to the ground, which can be achived by a feed from the downward sensor camera.

2017-10-19
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Better, scout the area and make sure no obstacles are close!
2017-10-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"can be displayed in the floating windows, akin to the "histogram window".

Actually not a bad idea. Having two angle views from the camera - nice! However, since the camera is pointing in one direction (sounds like you would need two cameras?) or somehow split the image in two which I think would pose a real challenge. Besides it would take up a lot of real estate on the screen - too crowded in my opinion.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for bringing us the attention, we do not support viewing the image of the downward and forward sensor at the moment, but I think if it is possible and necessary, maybe it could be realised in the future.
2017-10-19
Use props
Hitty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7822 ft
Russia

Great suggestion!
2017-10-19
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

If it was possible to send images from these cameras, I'd like to see both forward camera images being sent at once.  That would make it possible to view true 3D in your goggles, and zooming through dense trees would be child's play.
2017-10-19
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Great idea!
After several months of usage, i already dream of 360 in flight camera
2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I apologise if I missunderstood, but the forward and downward are sensors; not cameras. They don't generate images!
2017-10-20
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Norway

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-19 23:11
If it was possible to send images from these cameras, I'd like to see both forward camera images being sent at once.  That would make it possible to view true 3D in your goggles, and zooming through dense trees would be child's play.

I think those cameras produce a low-res B&W image. Here is a view from an unrelated experiment yesterday from the DJI Assistant calibration program:

That would not be good enough for 3D, but enough for a small window to help with orientation.
2017-10-20
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Norway

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-10-20 04:10
I apologise if I missunderstood, but the forward and downward are sensors; not cameras. They don't generate images!

See the answer above ;) There are 4 extra cameras you have on board of the Mavic.
2017-10-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-10-20 05:12
I think those cameras produce a low-res B&W image. Here is a view from an unrelated experiment yesterday from the DJI Assistant calibration program:
[/img]
That would not be good enough for 3D, but enough for a small window to help with orientation.

I don't really see what resolution has to do with 3D.  Given the screenshot you posted, I'd expect to get a low-res B&W 3D image, which is exactly what I want.  As long as the cameras are spaced far enough apart that you get a tiny difference between the two images, that's all you need for depth perception.  (Is that branch 5ft away or 10?)  And this is exactly how the VPS works anyway, right?  The computer only picks out one object and calculates the distance to display on the screen, but the good ol' human brain can instantly calculate the distance of all objects in the frame.
2017-10-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Basically having the ability to have two (camera) angles of view from the front of the copter.
2017-10-20
Use props
Jffoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 709 ft
Sweden

When you calibrate the sensor on the computer you need to face the sensor cameras towards the screen, so yes there are cameras there.
2017-10-20
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Norway

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-20 05:19
I don't really see what resolution has to do with 3D.  Given the screenshot you posted, I'd expect to get a low-res B&W 3D image, which is exactly what I want.  As long as the cameras are spaced far enough apart that you get a tiny difference between the two images, that's all you need for depth perception.  (Is that branch 5ft away or 10?)  And this is exactly how the VPS works anyway, right?  The computer only picks out one object and calculates the distance to display on the screen, but the good ol' human brain can instantly calculate the distance of all objects in the frame.

Is that branch 5ft away or 10?

Those are landing legs, mounted on Mavic. I took that image to see if they were the reason for VPS interference.
The window in the background is about 2 meters away.

And yes, if one can accepts a low-res B&W 3D image, that would be a nice option for the goggles.
2017-10-20
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Forward there are 2 cameras, downward there are cameras and ultrasonic sensors.
2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Brazil

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-10-20 05:14
See the answer above ;) There are 4 extra cameras you have on board of the Mavic.

Thank you very much!
2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Brazil

Griffith Posted at 2017-10-20 05:37
Forward there are 2 cameras, downward there are cameras and ultrasonic sensors.

I appreciate; it is a very interesting News for me.
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules