752 18 2017-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
akeols
lvl.1
Flight distance : 260397 ft
Sweden

Hi everybody!
I must say that I'm amazed about many of the problem that shows up in this forum.
Seems that some dont even know how to start the motors for example.
I just have one quite good suggestions, READ THE MANUAL.
Otherwise, lots of tip from experienced flyers to learn from.
2017-10-19
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 793281 ft
Belgium

What's the problem ?
2017-10-19
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Yep, the forgotten manual. I also recommend spending some time (several hours) checking out the DJI and other videos on the web and youTube. Thank heavens that people do not learn to drive cars like some learn to fly drones.
2017-10-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

A lot of it is the modern expectation of instant gratification.
2017-10-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Yep,  most people just yank it outta the box and start pushing every button on it.
2017-10-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I'll throw in and pile on
Yes, today's folk seem to think everything is meant to be intuitive and simple to operate with little knowledge or effort...obviously many above agree, that operating a technologically complex machine in a complex airspace environment is not as simple as point and shoot or move and click.
Reading manuals is now passé, and many companies do not help either as they do not even include a manual with their products or they are so paired down that they tell you nothing i.e. quick start guide.  Even DJI's manuals are lacking in failing to describe many details that you find in things like their GO 4 App or even more precise and full technical details for and about operating the machines.  Granted when people don't read what they have why put even more info in them, not really, as there are many who do and as noted many more who MUST!
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Yep, I always recommend the beginners read the manual and watch the tutorial videos before they start to fly the drone.
2017-10-19
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-19 15:35
I'll throw in and pile on
Yes, today's folk seem to think everything is meant to be intuitive and simple to operate with little knowledge or effort...obviously many above agree, that operating a technologically complex machine in a complex airspace environment is not as simple as point and shoot or move and click.
Reading manuals is now passé, and many companies do not help either as they do not even include a manual with their products or they are so paired down that they tell you nothing i.e. quick start guide.  Even DJI's manuals are lacking in failing to describe many details that you find in things like their GO 4 App or even more precise and full technical details for and about operating the machines.  Granted when people don't read what they have why put even more info in them, not really, as there are many who do and as noted many more who MUST!

Spot-on Genghis9!
Sounds like a previous post from a couple weeks ago. Yeah the "ol manual. What is that? To your point, modern technology has somewhat forced that upon us, and most people just buy something and turn it on and expect it to work with no interaction or preliminary work to be done. Like you mentioned too, if you want to know something about a product you generally have to download it from a website. Nothing is provided anymore. I supposed it is a effort to reduce costs some, and maybe for a lot of products it may not be necessary. But, with these machines why would you not want to be informed before hand? Same story, different day.......a lot of owners simply turn the phantom on and off they go. Until a problem arises and then they look for answers, which is fine, but a little reading goes a long way sometimes.
I guess I want to understand how things work, and I realize some may not care, and that is their choice.
2017-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have been reading manuals for about 2 months now
(and this forum, many many video's etc. etc. )
So I should be good when having decided what my first drone will be
2017-10-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-20 10:49
I have been reading manuals for about 2 months now
(and this forum, many many video's etc. etc. )
So I should be good when having decided what my first drone will be

Not sure I'd go so far as to say you'll be good BUT you will be vastly more prepared than way too many out there now...and that will pay dividends to you later in keeping, maintaining, and flying your bird.
You are doing the right thing, and realize this is not really a thing that you can stop learning about.  Especially when DJI keeps updating and changing things.
FYI - I did similar to you in prep for my UAV, however, shortly after getting it I still promptly flew it in to a tree I wrote about it in a series of posts covering my initial experience with learning about and getting my drone.
Keep it up
2017-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-20 11:28
Not sure I'd go so far as to say you'll be good BUT you will be vastly more prepared than way too many out there now...and that will pay dividends to you later in keeping, maintaining, and flying your bird.
You are doing the right thing, and realize this is not really a thing that you can stop learning about.  Especially when DJI keeps updating and changing things.
FYI - I did similar to you in prep for my UAV, however, shortly after getting it I still promptly flew it in to a tree  I wrote about it in a series of posts covering my initial experience with learning about and getting my drone.

Hahahahaha. It might also be some lack of funding from my side.
But I like to read into my next big purchase.
You can only spend money once ;)
2017-10-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-20 12:34
Hahahahaha. It might also be some lack of funding from my side.
But I like to read into my next big purchase.
You can only spend money once ;)

Agreed
Wish you all the best with your effort
2017-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-20 12:46
Agreed
Wish you all the best with your effort

Thanks.
For now this forum gives good info and background.
My options are pretty clear now.
Either Spark or P4A.
I hope DJI will add 25 fps to Spark, but otherwise I will save some more for a P4A.
And for steady ground shots a Osmo mobile with iPhone SE.
Only have to convince the boss at home ;)
2017-10-20
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387126 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-20 13:18
Thanks.
For now this forum gives good info and background.
My options are pretty clear now.

All summer i flew a toy drone and i had a lots of fun with it....it will do around 6 to 7 minutes on a battery....i had nine batteries...I had a low battery warning beep on the RC unit....it would Not do Good in any winds.....i flew in it mode 2....i got really good at flying it 200 feet away.....across my yard and across the street and in thru several trees to fly it around a field and then back thru the trees and across the street and back to me setting on my porch in a chair  i never once lost it the trees as it came back to where i was setting !...and for $54.00 i got my moneys worth and was quite ready to my P-3 SE.....i love to fly it and its quite a   wonderful machine.....i had No FPV and No gps on the Toy drone....I became pretty efficient  because of that too...i had to control it all The Time !
2017-10-20
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
United States

quadpilot Posted at 2017-10-20 10:43
some people can't even drive a car these days!!
let alone a dji phantom drone

Some people can't walk  and chew Gum at same time  LOL And talk on a cell phone and drive a car !
2017-10-20
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
United States

I had to down load the pdf file for the manual and print it out on grade 97 paper...that manuel on rice paper is terrible and a lite Brown !
2017-10-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Zippo43 Posted at 2017-10-20 20:56
I had to down load the pdf file for the manual and print it out on grade 97 paper...that manuel on rice paper is terrible and a lite Brown !

Yeah, and it tastes like crap too unless you use a little soy sauce.
2017-10-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-20 21:47
Yeah, and it tastes like crap too unless you use a little soy sauce.

Hahaha!  You know, your choice of words gave me another idea for what I can do with the manual...
2017-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Zippo43 Posted at 2017-10-20 20:51
All summer i flew a toy drone and i had a lots of fun with it....it will do around 6 to 7 minutes on a battery....i had nine batteries...I had a low battery warning beep on the RC unit....it would Not do Good in any winds.....i flew in it mode 2....i got really good at flying it 200 feet away.....across my yard and across the street and in thru several trees to fly it around a field and then back thru the trees and across the street and back to me setting on my porch in a chair  i never once lost it the trees as it came back to where i was setting !...and for $54.00 i got my moneys worth and was quite ready to my P-3 SE.....i love to fly it and its quite a   wonderful machine.....i had No FPV and No gps on the Toy drone....I became pretty efficient  because of that too...i had to control it all The Time !

That is good practice!
2017-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules