need a drone that has a camera that points straight up (or, at l...
3364 17 2017-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flying-camera
lvl.2
Canada

I'm looking to do ceiling inspections, need a drone that has a camera that points straight up (or, at least 45 degrees up).  Has anyone come across something like this?
2017-10-19
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Going to need one for indoors.  How close do you have to get to ceilings and walls?
2017-10-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I would think you are going to need a drone built specially for the job. A Phantom is just going to be looking up through the props.
2017-10-19
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

I found a couple on the web, searched for “flying camera platform” rather than “drone”. Most seem to be expensive professional film makers equipment. You may have to mod one yourself or find someone who can.
2017-10-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's not cheap but DJI's Matrice 200 can be fitted with an upward gimbal specially for inspections .
https://www.dji.com/matrice-200-series
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

The Phantom series is not adequate for your ceiling inspections,  agree with Labroides, you may need a special drone, like an M210, but it is not cheap.
2017-10-19
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Before I spent buku money on a specialized drone I think I'd try a low-tech solution like a mirror in front of the camera.  Yeah, you'll be looking up through the props, but this isn't exactly cinema work.

If that's too kludgy, you could always build yourself a drone that has two cameras mounted on the frame.  Use the forward facing FPV cam to fly up to the ceiling, then flip to the other frequency (top cam) and carry out your inspection.  As long as the drone isn't wobbling all over the place I don't see why you'd need a full gimbal.  Tilt would be nice.
2017-10-19
Use props
Gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

GoPro makes a gazillion different mounts for its cameras and it would be a simple task to just slap one on to the top of a Phantom (or any other quad for that matter) and it would point straight up.  Sure, it might interfere with the GPS module, but hey, it would be flying indoors anyway where you couldn't get any reception.
2017-10-19
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Such a pity we can’t fly upside down, would a gopro fit on top of a phantom. I can’t visualise in my head how much clearance there is and I don’t have my drone handy.
Edit
I didn’t see the post above mine already mentioning a gopro
2017-10-20
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You'll need a Karma for that !!!!!!!!
2017-10-20
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

A GoPro mounted solidly on top of a Phantom seems sensible, you can use the wifi to see what you are doing and take photos unless your ceilings are really high.  It will need a solid mount or there will be too much vibration.  The Phantom is a good choice of drone due to the visual hold, much easier to fly indoors than most, if there is a decent amount of light.

Also put some sort of tall spike on top so that the props can't get too close to the ceilings, the airflow into the props will get uncontrollable as the props get close!

Might be better to use one of the 90 degree action cameras so that you don't have to get so close, eg a Gitup Git2P90.

2017-10-20
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They dont like gopro's sat over the gps
2017-10-20
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Aerial-Image Posted at 2017-10-20 09:41
They dont like gopro's sat over the gps

Good, you don't want the GPS working when you have a ceiling anyway!
2017-10-20
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic Pro has an option to tilt up 30 degrees, not sure if that would be good enough.
2017-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Maybe add a small action cam on the back of your Phantom?
Not adviced by DJI probably, but it might work (as long as you have enough clearance with the props)
2017-10-20
Use props
GuitarFlyer47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38747 ft
United States

I fly indoors for video shoots all the time.  You don't need compass or gps.   All you need is prop guards, practice, and balls.   A small GoPro like the Hero 4 Session  on top of the Phantom would work fine.  You can be creative with a home made mount to diminish vibration, and use industrial grade velcro to mount it.   
2017-10-23
Use props
JAVISNAVI
New

United States

DJI has one but is way too expensive around USD$12,000. There is; however, an option for you. I found what you need. Hope is not that expensive for you, you can buy it from Amazon or Best Buy for USD $700. The drone is from Parrot and the model is ANAFI. Here is the link: https://www.parrot.com/us/#anytime-anywhere  Let me know how it goes...  
2018-8-24
Use props
JAVISNAVI
New

United States

2018-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules