gimbal overload mid-flight
483 7 2017-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DxN9oIx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 363661 ft
United States

About 2 months ago i clipped some tree branches and the gimbal cable got damaged. I  replaced the cable and all was good.

Suddenly today during a flight, the gimbal stopped responding to remote commands and was giving me a gimbal motor overload error. Landed - tried restarting everything a few times - tried waiting a few minutes in case it overheated - still get the gimbal overload error.

I'm guessing the cable popped out or something. But before i take it apart, if that cable pops out, would the gimbal still move? Because when i start up the mavic, it still goes through it's regular startup routine where the gimbal moves around for 2-3 seconds. And if i try moving the camera using the remote, the gimbal will go through those movements again as well. So that's making me wonder if it could still be the cable since it does seem to be responding somewhat.

2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

When you have problems with the flex cable it is common to have issues with the circuit on the gimbal control  board!
And having that, the only choice you have is to change all the gimbal set.
2017-10-20
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIx
lvl.3
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-10-20 07:42
When you have problems with the flex cable it is common to have issues with the circuit on the gimbal control  board!
And having that, the only choice you have is to change all the gimbal set.

Does this issue sound like it could be the circuit board? And by the gimbal set, you mean the entire physical gimbal itself?
2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear djiuser_DxN9oIx,

Technicians say that when you have some track on the flex cable that are blown it normally affect the control board.
As you can't find only the control board to change, you will have to buy a complete set!
Unfortunately!
2017-10-20
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIx
lvl.3
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-10-20 09:20
Dear djiuser_DxN9oIx,

Technicians say that when you have some track on the flex cable that are blown it normally affect the control board.

wow, that sucks. I just called up a local dji retailer here and if the gimbal needs to be replaced it's going to cost $430 with labor. That seems pretty nuts considering I can buy a whole new drone for $750.

Do you know if it's possible to buy the gimbal assembly myself and replace it myself? Since I've already replaced the flex cable, I'm already familiar with breaking everything down. I'm guessing replacing the whole gimbal is pretty much the same procedure as replacing that cable.
2017-10-20
Use props
fans90220354
lvl.2

Hong Kong

djiuser_DxN9oIx Posted at 2017-10-20 09:39
wow, that sucks. I just called up a local dji retailer here and if the gimbal needs to be replaced it's going to cost $430 with labor. That seems pretty nuts considering I can buy a whole new drone for $750.

Do you know if it's possible to buy the gimbal assembly myself and replace it myself? Since I've already replaced the flex cable, I'm already familiar with breaking everything down. I'm guessing replacing the whole gimbal is pretty much the same procedure as replacing that cable.

I would recommend you contact our support and if you repair on your own, it may brings second damage. Here is the link of price query. You can check the price of the damaged part.
https://repair.dji.com/cn/SelfRepair/PriceQuery
2017-10-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

djiuser_DxN9oIx Posted at 2017-10-20 09:39

Have you tried contacting DJI Support to have it serviced there?
2017-10-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sir, I do not suggest to take apart the gimbal at your end as it may void the warranty. I persist to send it in for fully diagnosis and repair. Should there is any further questions, please contact us anytime.
2017-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules