Decode Status Indicator
1246 19 2017-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Hello All.  I took my Mavic out yesterday for it's first flight with the new gold tip props.  Everything worked fine except one thing.  With 14 GPS satellites and everything else functioning properly and no warnings or indicators, the status indicator switched from 2 green flashes to three fast yellow flashes.  It would intermittantly switch back to the normal 2 green flashes and then back to the 3 fast yellow flashes.  It continued in this fashion until I landed.  I didn't try another battery.  

Does anyone know what the 3 yellow flashes means?  It doesn't say in the manual.  Is there any setting I need to change to use the new props.  I have the latest firmware and GO4 app.

Thanks in advance
2017-10-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Triple yellow flashes mean that high-frequency vibration was detected by the aircraft's IMU.

Were you flying aggressively at all?  High wind?  Turbulence?  Did you get some of those props with the defect on the trailing edge?  (Just curious)
2017-10-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-20 07:59
Triple yellow flashes mean that high-frequency vibration was detected by the aircraft's IMU.

Were you flying aggressively at all?  High wind?  Turbulence?  Did you get some of those props with the defect on the trailing edge?  (Just curious)

No, nothing like that, a lot of hovering testing the new props.  No high wind or turbulence.  I can't see any defects in the props.  I can't imagine where the vibration is coming from other than the props.  Will try again and see if I can replicate.
2017-10-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-10-20 08:08
No, nothing like that, a lot of hovering testing the new props.  No high wind or turbulence.  I can't see any defects in the props.  I can't imagine where the vibration is coming from other than the props.  Will try again and see if I can replicate.

Well if you can't find a cause, don't feel bad.  I don't think anyone else who has encountered it has found a "real" answer either.
2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Did you received a warning asking you to calibrate your IMU, or compass?
2017-10-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-10-20 08:39
Did you received a warning asking you to calibrate your IMU, or compass?

No warnings at all in the GO app or in the flight log.  IMU & compass were green before takeoff.
2017-10-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-20 08:13
Well if you can't find a cause, don't feel bad.  I don't think anyone else who has encountered it has found a "real" answer either.

Do you recall whether the others just ignored it or sent in for repair?  Thanks
2017-10-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-10-20 09:01
Do you recall whether the others just ignored it or sent in for repair?  Thanks

DJI seems to say that it's nothing to worry about, but that wouldn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Here are a couple recent threads:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-108092-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-109932-1-1.html

Maybe you can try an IMU calibration if you're bored.
2017-10-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-20 09:17
DJI seems to say that it's nothing to worry about, but that wouldn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Here are a couple recent threads:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-108092-1-1.html

Thanks for the links!  So I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and try a few more tests if it occurs again.    Thanks again.
2017-10-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Well, I tried the Mavic today again with the new platinum props.  I checked the IMU and compass before takeoff and everything was fine.  After takeoff and rising to 50' the status indicator started flashing 3 times yellow again.  Brought it back down to about 6 feet with the yellow still flashing.  Let it hover for about 30 sec. and the indicator went back green.  Backed up a little and it started yellow again.  Hovered at about 4' and gently placed my finger tips on top of the battery and there was an obvious vibration of the entire aircraft.  
I landed and changed out the props for the standard Mavic props.  Restarted everything and repeated the same flight profile.  No yellow lights at all, just green. Hovered and lightly touched the top of the battery at about 4' and there was noticeably less vibration.  I have seen the pictures of the deformed props and one of mine has a very slight dimple on the trailing edge, but it is very hard to see.

The only thing I can conclude at this point is that I have some defective/unbalanced new low noise props.  I would certainly entertain any other ideas.  At this point I will probably contact support to return them for a refund.
2017-10-21
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-10-21 14:55
Well, I tried the Mavic today again with the new platinum props.  I checked the IMU and compass before takeoff and everything was fine.  After takeoff and rising to 50' the status indicator started flashing 3 times yellow again.  Brought it back down to about 6 feet with the yellow still flashing.  Let it hover for about 30 sec. and the indicator went back green.  Backed up a little and it started yellow again.  Hovered at about 4' and gently placed my finger tips on top of the battery and there was an obvious vibration of the entire aircraft.  
I landed and changed out the props for the standard Mavic props.  Restarted everything and repeated the same flight profile.  No yellow lights at all, just green. Hovered and lightly touched the top of the battery at about 4' and there was noticeably less vibration.  I have seen the pictures of the deformed props and one of mine has a very slight dimple on the trailing edge, but it is very hard to see.

If you can get them to send you a free set that would be grand, because then you could swap them out one at a time and possibly find the culprit.  But the odds of them doing that is about nil; that's not how things work in China.

You're going to forfeit your original $10+ shipping, right?  And probably have to pay return shipping too?  If so, seems like you're not getting much back from your original purchase.
2017-10-21
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-21 15:40
If you can get them to send you a free set that would be grand, because then you could swap them out one at a time and possibly find the culprit.  But the odds of them doing that is about nil; that's not how things work in China.

You're going to forfeit your original $10+ shipping, right?  And probably have to pay return shipping too?  If so, seems like you're not getting much back from your original purchase.

I truely don't know the policy on this.  Any interacdtion that I have had with customer service has been problematic at best.  I really don't expect this to be different. I guess I could just throw them in the trash and chalk it up to another poorly crafted product from DJI.  I am certainly not spending a lot of time trying to figure out which one is bad and then still have to deal with customer service.  
2017-10-21
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Are u on latest fw? That is tuned for new props... 3.400
2017-10-21
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-10-21 16:37
Are u on latest fw? That is tuned for new props... 3.400

Yes, latest firmware (1.4) and latest GO4 app.  Is there a setting that needs to be changed to accommodate the new props?
2017-10-21
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

No setting change needs to be made according to dji....i think they just tuned flight controller gain etc. In new fw
2017-10-21
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-10-21 17:12
No setting change needs to be made according to dji....i think they just tuned flight controller gain etc. In new fw

Thanks, that's what I suspected.!
2017-10-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Just to verify, did you mount the propeller guard when the three yellow flashes? Please send us a short video and I'd like to look into the exact status.
2017-10-22
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-22 19:01
Just to verify, did you mount the propeller guard when the three yellow flashes? Please send us a short video and I'd like to look into the exact status.

Thanks for your response.  I did not mount propeller guards.  I'll try to get a video, but I'm not sure what it's going to show.  Just three rapid yellow blinks followed by a short pause and the 3 yellow blinks again.
2017-10-23
Use props
fans5aee5495
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Your not alone I have the exact same problems, word for word your post is eactly what is happening with my Mavic. I bought five pairs and tried them all, same problem. There are others also with this problem. Lets hope DJI have a solution ?
2017-10-26
Use props
ColomboPilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 552569 ft
Sri Lanka

is there a way you can test "balance" of your props? And in case they are unbalance try to correct maybe with some tape used as counterweight?
.... I used to do this with Bebop, which had fixed props, not foldable.
2017-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules