1496 14 2017-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I searched to see if this was posted already, and didn't find anything.  Hopefully I'm not spamming you.

Here's an article related to a collision that had occurred, and how DJI is offering to assist the investigation:  https://www.wetalkuav.com/dji-co ... sion-canada-quebec/

There aren't any conclusions as to what (if any) regulations were violated, but I do know that the regulations intend to prevent such occurrences.  I'd like to say "violate the regulations at your own risk", but it's not "your own risk.".

2017-10-20
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Charles this is whats so fishy about the story, the geofencing would have prohibited any DJI drone (given its not FW modded) to fly so close to any Canadian airport. Most articles I have seen pictured a DJI product, weather its the case or not but it was layed out as such.Transport Canada is in the middle of tighening the regulations for drones, this seems to be the perfect hookup to get the public on their side.

One way or the other this "incident" will ensure that the new drone laws will be a lot more strict as they used to be.

2017-10-20
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

FYI : http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... ing-drone-in-quebec
2017-10-20
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 330686 ft
Germany

As far as I know the incident happened 13km away from any airport and at about 600m height.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=200405
2017-10-20
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

Rawsome Posted at 2017-10-20 09:50
Charles this is whats so fishy about the story, the geofencing would have prohibited any DJI drone (given its not FW modded) to fly so close to any Canadian airport. Most articles I have seen pictured a DJI product, weather its the case or not but it was layed out as such.Transport Canada is in the middle of tighening the regulations for drones, this seems to be the perfect hookup to get the public on their side.

One way or the other this "incident" will ensure that the new drone laws will be a lot more strict as they used to be.

DJI's "geofencing" does not prevent you from flying within the full 5.5 km Class D airspace surrounding an airport, it merely informs you and tells you to "fly with caution". It does show a much closer in "restricted" airspace about 2 km around the airport (at least for YQB) and I believe that it is supposed to prevent you from flying in that airspace but I don't know for sure as I've never tried.
1500' is clearly above the default Canadian 400' drone cieling but we don't know all of the details. Maybe the operator had special authorization from Transport Canada. Most likely not but I'll wait for the outcome of the investigation before speculating.
2017-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is like a self fulfilling prophecy.
Unfortunately.
2017-10-20
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

No information about what that “drone” was?
So far, I have never seen a “drone hit airplane” story where the “drone” was a quadrocopter.
In my country, any rc aircraft is officially categorized as a drone.
2017-10-20
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

glad DJI is doing the right thing by promoting safe flight and promoting the security systems they have put in place.  Max height, geofencing .. etc.

Hopefully this wont make Canadian regulations stricter then they are today.
2017-10-20
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I’m not sure I agree.
As I see it,
DJI has connected itselv to the episode, and we are led to believe that DJI was responsible for what the pilot did.
I don’t know what the “drone” was, though. A plastic bag?
What I do know, is that a dji quad won't go that high.

2017-10-20
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

heliman Posted at 2017-10-20 11:28
I’m not sure I agree.
As I see it,
DJI has connected itselv to the episode, and we are led to believe that DJI was responsible for what the pilot did.

A dji quad will definitely go that high, that is not high at all but the Canadian regulations is 90 meters max
2017-10-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

heliman Posted at 2017-10-20 11:28
I’m not sure I agree.
As I see it,

“Dji is responsible for what the guy did” are you serious does anybody take responsibility anymore for what they do.
Dji are not responsible just the same way Ferrari would not be responsible for one of their customers driving down the road at 150mph .
If this really happened then some idiot is responsible period....
2017-10-20
Use props
Hecate
lvl.4
Canada

THIS STORY IS BEING BLOWN UP BY THE MEDIA

I am using  a world wide news feed and was reading the original story.

1. they are not sure it was a drone, happened before that's why they need to investigate.
2. if it was a drone the only rule broken was that it was flying to high, 150 meters (90 meters is the rule), it was flying outside the 5.5 Km restricted area so no issue there.

By the next day media was reporting that the drone flew directly above the airport and so on.

Canada Transport Ministry made a statement based on no evidence what soever, it was even reported that on day 3 no official request for an investigation about this incident was requested.

Do not believe everything you read online, got to do your homework and reference all worldwide articles online and decide what is the true story.
We are almost 14 days into the story and no details have been released as to what has happened, does that seam normal to you?

2017-10-20
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

It happened at 2400feet, so it can’t have been a DJI.
Good it was not a flock of 6kg canadian geese.
2017-10-21
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I absolutely agree with one poster who posits that not everything one reads on the internet should be taken on faith.

I absolutely agree with one other poster that the media can (and does) tend to blow things up out of proportion.  The media is a business, and it makes its money by attracting viewers.  Typically this can be accomplished by sensationalizing stories.

There are a few points I'm taking out of this story:

1.  Dji apparently felt the need to get involved.
2.  If a future event involves MY Dji product, Dji might give up information to the authorities on MY activities.  I'm not commenting on the ethics or morality of such behavior from Dji.  I'm just commenting that this is a data point that I will use for future decisions.
3.  If I follow my local regulations, the chances that a similar circumstance will happen to me are extraordinarily slim.
2017-10-21
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

If this was in fact a Dji Drone, it should be quiet easy to identify the culprit right?
2017-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules