Perspective distortion?
1484 12 2017-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I'm puzzled about why most of the buildings are tilted while the horizon is straight.It's a single photo (not a panorama).
Can it be corrected with Photos or Photoscape on a mac ?

2017-10-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

The horizon is level. I think it may be related to the yaw of your spark. Please try to shoot more photos with correct direction and see if the building are tilted.
2017-10-21
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I think a found it out myself, using photoscape (free version), doing perspective correction and crop.
The perspective slider is moved all the way to one side. It almost fixed it.
2017-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks good! (the edit)
2017-10-21
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

This is a normal behavior. If a camera (any camera) is not horizontal then the perspective shows up. It is just a basic geometry. In your case the camera is pointed downward, hence the lines, that would be vertical with level camera, converge below the picture. If you point a camera upward (not possible with Spark, but can be easily done with any "normal" camera) the "vertical" lines will converge above the picture. It is more evident with wide-angle lenses (and the Spark's lens corresponds to 25mm on FF) than with tele-lenses, yet it will occur always. As said, it is just basic geometry. Being humans, we are used to perceive vertical lines as vertical. That is because we are not birds. We are used to look more or less straight ahead. A bird would probably say that the second version looks strange :-)

BTW, I could give you a precise mathematical proof and explanation, but it may be hard to digest :-)
2017-10-21
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Thanks! That made me play a little with a 12-24mm dx nikon lens.
The effect is obvious at the 12mm setting.
Next time, I will try to fly lower.
2017-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

_pk Posted at 2017-10-21 04:31
This is a normal behavior. If a camera (any camera) is not horizontal then the perspective shows up. It is just a basic geometry. In your case the camera is pointed downward, hence the lines, that would be vertical with level camera, converge below the picture. If you point a camera upward (not possible with Spark, but can be easily done with any "normal" camera) the "vertical" lines will converge above the picture. It is more evident with wide-angle lenses (and the Spark's lens corresponds to 25mm on FF) than with tele-lenses, yet it will occur always. As said, it is just basic geometry. Being humans, we are used to perceive vertical lines as vertical. That is because we are not birds. We are used to look more or less straight ahead. A bird would probably say that the second version looks strange :-)

BTW, I could give you a precise mathematical proof and explanation, but it may be hard to digest :-)

Great explanation.
2017-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

heliman Posted at 2017-10-21 05:30
Thanks! That made me play a little with a 12-24mm dx nikon lens.
The effect is obvious at the 12mm setting.
Next time, I will try to fly lower.

Try both. I really like the bird eye's perspective and the unnatural looking perspective to our eyes.
2017-10-21
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

I usually divide the scene before taking a photo inorder to avoid the lens distortion by keeping 1/4 - 1/3 for the sky.

This was after so many tests I've done.

In case of ground scene only, the same percentage should be for an open area without tall buildings.
2017-10-21
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Thanks!
The camera was pointed down to make the autoexposure lighten the ground.
I should have set the exposure manually.

2017-10-21
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great explanation however, if you are flying in Tripod mode you can manually tilt the gimbal +30 degrees upwards on the Spark. It also tilts upwards automatically to take pano's.
2017-10-21
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Thanks for the explanation.
2017-10-22
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

heliman Posted at 2017-10-21 02:35
I think a found it out myself, using photoscape (free version), doing perspective correction and crop.
The perspective slider is moved all the way to one side. It almost fixed it.
[view_image]

Nice editing job
2017-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules