o(^-^)o
Madebyvadim
First Officer
Flight distance : 2023002 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Hi All!

I am confused. Really.

Now, I am shooting photos on a Mavic Pro using D-log as a colour profile, but recently I shoot on a location with a normal profile. It was a autumn forest and color in d-log looks too dull on a iPhone so I change it to Normal just to see the actual colours, did not switch it to D-log back, shoot it, then realsise it, switch to D-log and shoot it again.

To my surprise when I exported it to the new Lightroom Classic CC all the shoots looks the same ( like it was shoot in same color profile) .

I thought Hmmm, that could not be right, I use  two different and my mac os preview shows the big differnece. I install old Lightroom - same result. I opened in Camra Raw on old Photoshop 2015 - same result.

Tried to go to Camera calibration, only to see  in camera profile EMBEDDED with no way to change it to anything else.

So, my thought was what is going on with that?

Does it really mater what we shooting with ? Does it really matter because its a RAW file and color profile are not embedded ? Or does it really matter at all?

AND most importantly what actually we shooting with, what colour profile is what mysterious embedded is itD-log, notmal, something else?

Can any one elaborate on that? Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.36.13.jpg Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.36.35.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.36.13.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.36.35.jpg
2017-10-21
Use props
AkyHun
lvl.2
Flight distance : 886926 ft
Hungary

because you shoot in raw the color profile does not matter
2017-10-21
Use props
Madebyvadim
First Officer
  • >>>
Russia

AkyHun Posted at 2017-10-21 02:48
because you shoot in raw the color profile does not matter

Hmm, I kinda know that BUT then:
1. Why there are colour profiles FOR PHOTOS there in a first place, if they are not matter ?
2. They all have a different looks,  BUT you can't choose any later in post processing . With a standard cameras there are correspondent looks in camera and in post (Lightroom, camera raw)
3. The white balance is also not matter when shooting in raw BUT you can choose it later in post-processing if you wish (day, cloudy etc)
4. What is the right colour profile for device so I can know that it will be used in post-processing as a default, because they are so drastically different on the device, I can't guess which will be right.
5. Also if you change the colour profile on the device say form d-log to normal you might even accidentally overexposed the image based on a look alone. So what the reason to include them at all?
6. What is that embedded colour profile what only appeared in post-processing ? What is best companion on the device?

I know my photography (www.vadimsherbakov.com) but THIS is really confusing since there are a lot of questions without the right answers.  
2017-10-21
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

The colour profiles are there for when you output to jpeg or raw/jpeg. In raw they won’t make any difference.
2017-10-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

nottuppaware Posted at 2017-10-21 04:20
The colour profiles are there for when you output to jpeg or raw/jpeg. In raw they won’t make any difference.

This is almost true, or, rather it should be true, but testing has shown that color profiles can have an affect on exposure levels for RAW files. At least this was the case back in the summer, haven't retested with the latest firmware/app versions.
2017-10-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Madebyvadim Posted at 2017-10-21 03:22
Hmm, I kinda know that BUT then:
1. Why there are colour profiles FOR PHOTOS there in a first place, if they are not matter ?
2. They all have a different looks,  BUT you can't choose any later in post processing . With a standard cameras there are correspondent looks in camera and in post (Lightroom, camera raw)

Yeah, this is all really confusing. Also confusing is that the "Normal" profile boosts saturation in greens -- if you want a truly neutral look, you need to select True Color.
2017-10-21
Use props
Madebyvadim
First Officer
  • >>>
Russia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-10-21 09:44
Yeah, this is all really confusing. Also confusing is that the "Normal" profile boosts saturation in greens -- if you want a truly neutral look, you need to select True Color.

So according to that ITS NOT ONLY FOR JPEGS as everyone is happen to believe so dearly.
Also D-log for Jpegs , really? REALLY? Don't think so.
2017-10-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Madebyvadim Posted at 2017-10-21 09:55
So according to that ITS NOT ONLY FOR JPEGS as everyone is happen to believe so dearly.
Also D-log for Jpegs , really? REALLY? Don't think so.

Apparently D-Log for video also changes ISO in normal lighting effectively from 100 to 500 to increase shadow detail, which explains the underexposure for stills. You can see the boost if you have enabled the Histogram.

So color profile affect JPGs directly, RAW indirectly. IOW, choosing the black and white profile will directly affect your JPG output and JPG previews in your RAW files, but won't affect your RAW data (unless the color profile also affects exposure, like D-Log).

2017-10-21
Use props
Madebyvadim
First Officer
  • >>>
Russia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-10-21 10:54
Apparently D-Log for video also changes ISO in normal lighting effectively from 100 to 500 to increase shadow detail, which explains the underexposure for stills. You can see the boost if you have enabled the Histogram.

So color profile affect JPGs directly, RAW indirectly. IOW, choosing the black and white profile will directly affect your JPG output and JPG previews in your RAW files, but won't affect your RAW data (unless the color profile also affects exposure, like D-Log).

D-log for video and ISO changes are, as far as I know only affects Phantom 4 Pro for some bizarre reason.

Anyway. I was not talking about jpegs nor video.
My questions was quite simple.
If colour profile affects raw as well not as drastically as jpegs. What is the real colour profile that will be presented in Lightroom then?
Its simple I want to see in my iPhone THE closest representation of the actual thing (what I will get in Lightroom with that embedded profile), that's it. If someone will tell me - hey man use SUPER DUPER colour effect it will bring gap of the colour different between real location's colour, iPhone with DJI app and Lightroom to a minimum I will be using it.
But All I hear form many users is that colour profiles are for jpegs, they do not matter (or matter just a big ) for raws and thats it.
So how do you shoot then? What profile do you use? Don't you see the difference in colours when you open it in Lightroom? Why the hell DJI put d-log in colour profiles for pictures when its nonsense to use its on jpeg and raw is not keeping d-log setting at all ?
2017-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules