Do you use the Phantom 4 Pro´s 360°-Obstacle-Avoidance feature a lot
1731 11 2017-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DjiDroneDude
lvl.1

Germany

Hey Community,
It´s me again. After doing more in-depth research into the difference between the Mavic and the P4P, I found out that the 5-Way-Obstacle-Avoidance-feature of the Phantom 4 Pro is only active in Tripod and Beginner Mode. As Tripod Mode already is already pretty exact and sensitive, is the additional obstacle avoidance any help or is it just a nice, little extra?
Are the extra 250$ worth this (maybe rare-to-use) obstacle avoidance?
And can you fly with Tripod Mode in high heights (300 feet)? (with the same sensitivity?)
Thanks in advance for all answers,
- DjiDroneDude

Oh, and some of you are wondering if I´m actually going to get a drone or not: I´m still deciding, this is a big investment for me

2017-10-21
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

The front and read OA work in normal flight, side is in tripod (and beginner). So, no, for me the side OA doesn't get used.
The camera is a big differentiation, worth the extra? That's for you to decide!
2017-10-21
Use props
DjiDroneDude
lvl.1

Germany

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-21 06:48
The front and read OA work in normal flight, side is in tripod (and beginner). So, no, for me the side OA doesn't get used.
The camera is a big differentiation, worth the extra? That's for you to decide!

Well, that´s why I´m asking.
I could get the Phantom 4 Advanced for 250$ less, but therefore no side obstacle avoidance.
Do you guys think saving the 250$ for side-avoidance is worthy?
2017-10-21
Use props
Mactech
lvl.2
United States

Get the P4A and save your $$$.

If you need obstacle avoidance, practice flying more and keep a closer eye on your AC.
2017-10-21
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

you also get the ability to switch between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz on the P4P. That may or may not be beneficial depending where you fly. For me, it's very useful.
2017-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can also opt for the P4A. That is 'only' lacking the side and back sensors AND 5.8 hz.
Here (in NL) it is reasonably priced (sort of)
2017-10-21
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I have my OA turned off as i found they has been more annoying than useful for me.
2017-10-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The above discussion make sense. Just be more careful if you choose P4A.
2017-10-22
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

DjiDroneDude Posted at 2017-10-21 06:53
Well, that´s why I´m asking.
I could get the Phantom 4 Advanced for 250$ less, but therefore no side obstacle avoidance.
Do you guys think saving the 250$ for side-avoidance is worthy?

I would get the P4A if you are looking for camera quality as it has the same camera as the P4P ( that's where the money shots are ), same with me I pretty much never use the side OA unless I am flying through trees, doorways ect... then again that's what the Side OA are made for those "special" flying situations.

As far as the Mavic is concerned the portability is a major plus and it is soooooo much quieter than the P4's, but you sacrifice a little on the camera. It all depends on how critical you want to be as far as photo/video. My P3P still takes awesome 4K photo/video and consider it my work horse. Rock solid, no more having to deal with constant updates as they have now retired it. Still supported by DJI but haven't seen an update for a long time.
2017-10-22
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

If the P4A would have been available when I bought the P4P I would have bought the P4A. I don't use obstacle avoidance. I believe it is an unnecessary profiteering  gimmick. I purchased the P4P solely for the camera platform and extended flight time.
2017-10-22
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

As for me, its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! I use the side OA at times when I need it, but, I don't know I will need it until I get to my destination and scope out what I plan to shoot.
2017-10-22
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Do you fly sideways ? If yes, then get it. I needed the 5.8 ghz as I live in a sub-division with wi-fi interference all around. Cell towers in sight and the like.
Plus , as I have said, I like having the screen already there. Less headaches when updating  as they are from the same engineering group.

Research as much as you need and get the drone that works best now and for what you may want in the future.
2017-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules