Camera specs on Phantom 3
2830 10 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phil
New

United States

I really like the PV2+ but the camera isn't great, especially the quality of the still shots and the fish-eye effect with still shots. I see the P3 has a much higher resolution, but can you eliminate the fish-eye effect?

Thanks
2015-4-8
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

Just look it up yourself straight from DJI instead of posting it:

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/faq
2015-4-8
Use props
chris765_2000
lvl.1
United States

I have mixed feelings about the narrower angle of view. I've taken some amazing shots with the wide angle lens on the P2 Vision + and have been able to edit still shots using either Lightroom or Photoshop and I can imagine you can fix the fisheye on video using special software, however I'm not sure. I can't say for sure until I've tested the Phantom 3 for myself. I'm hoping they will have wide angle lenses that attach. Right now the only way to have such versatility is to purchase  a much more expensive platform that allows you to attach a SLR camera, which is definitely out of my price range.   
2015-4-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

chris765_2000@y Posted at 2015-4-29 03:45
I have mixed feelings about the narrower angle of view. I've taken some amazing shots with the wide  ...

I think you will like the 94 FOV.  There is almost no fisheye that needs to be corrected.  It is equivalent to a 20mm lens on a SLR.  Not exactly narrow angle.
2015-4-28
Use props
Warren Peace Pi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Im currently trying to google wider angle options for the Phantom 3 with no luck Im guessing the option isnt available or possible. Due to unfortunate events my Phantom 2 with GoPro has gone bye bye. I have reinvested in the Phantom 3 Professional but im a little disappointed about the camera lens. I do prefer the GoPro Fisheye and the option to Lens Correct or not later on

P2 GoPro 25%.jpg
P3 DJI 50%.png
2016-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Warren Peace Pi Posted at 2016-2-12 22:53
Im currently trying to google wider angle options for the Phantom 3 with no luck Im guessing the opt ...

The Phantom3 is really an amazing piece of technology, not only does it not have the fisheye look but the whole aircraft and remote control are feature packed. Take a look at the specs of a Pro compared to your Phantom2, I think you would be really happy with a Phantom3.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-pro/info#specs
2016-2-12
Use props
Warren Peace Pi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-12 15:13
The Phantom3 is really an amazing piece of technology, not only does it not have the fisheye look  ...

Yes I agreed the phantom 3 is an amazing piece of kit. no doubt. A lot more solid than my previous Phantom 2 but their is no denying that I would really like the option of getting a real fisheye look that the Phantom 2 GoPro combo provides. It has a totally different feel. As a photographer on the ground Ive always loved the fisheye look. so regardless of the tech spec, as a photographer if the feel of the final image is missing, tech spec means nothing. Are there possibilites to provide a screw on fisheye adapter in the future or will that tip the balance of the camera gimbal to much ???
2016-2-12
Use props
Warren Peace Pi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

chris765_2000@y Posted at 2015-4-28 19:45
I have mixed feelings about the narrower angle of view. I've taken some amazing shots with the wide  ...

I feel the same about hoping a fisheye attachment similar to the GoPro look would be amazing. Im feeling the Phantom 2 GoPro Combo alot more and a little disappointed on the feel of the Phantom 3 from a Photography perspective
2016-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Warren Peace Pi Posted at 2016-2-13 00:13
Yes I agreed the phantom 3 is an amazing piece of kit. no doubt. A lot more solid than my previous  ...

Usually the majority are trying to do the opposite of you. Can you do it post and also do a Google search to see if there are others like you and want the fisheye effect and maybe someone has made an aftermarket screw on lens.
2016-2-12
Use props
Warren Peace Pi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-12 17:43
Usually the majority are trying to do the opposite of you. Can you do it post and also do a Google ...

Yep I understand that the majority aim to achieve the opposite of the fisheye look as I myself do a lot of lens correction to achieve a more cinematic look from the gopro footage. The fisheye lens is a very unique effect that can be very dramatic and epic when used correctly from a photography perspective. So in theory you get the best of both worlds with a Phantom 2 and GoPro setup. Unfortunately with the DJI lens the width & fish eye effect is not there so it doesnt give so much scale.... this is something you cant recreate in post production as the images just isnt there to play around with in the first place, if you understand me

I have desperately looked on google for an aftermarket screw lens but no luck. I understand Im in a small minority here but Im not feeling this new Phantom 3 setup only based on the lens. Im hoping you DJI folks can help me out here Is a alternative screw on fisheye or wider lens actually possible in terms of the gimbal and camera working correctly ie would the additional weight cause any problems. Please help my creative mind is melting here just looking at the difference in the two images Ive taken is driving me insane. Unfortunately Morroccan police and Customs took my beloved Phantom 2 off me just for having it in my luggage passing through their country... so frustrating
2016-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Warren Peace Pi Posted at 2016-2-13 03:14
Yep I understand that the majority aim to achieve the opposite of the fisheye look as I myself do a ...

I don't know what to tell you, if you don't want to make fisheye look in post and you want the P3 to have a fisheye look and you've searched for an aftermarket screw on fisheye then, then there's really nothing we can do. Maybe get another old Phantom and GoPro and go that route.
2016-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules