P3 Standard motors will not arm
1233 9 2017-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cloudchaser
New
United States

Have a P3 standard since Sept. 2016. Flew a number of times in 2016 just fine, then had a crash. repaired surface issues, replaced props and worked fine. Didn't use all winter or spring due to severe weather. Flew several times just fine, with no problems. Upgraded firmware to latest 1.09.02.  had a few problems then couldn't get motors to arm and 'gps unconnected' error started popping up. replaced gps unit and still no change. When removing top body, noticed that one of the 220 capacitors had been peeled back on the motherboard, but not broken off. I replaced the capacitor and the P3S continues to show that it is ready to fly, continues to show the 'gps unconnected' error, and that I am in P-atti mode.
Both the RC and the DJI app allow me to "start' the motors, including the auto-takeoff mode. DJI Go app shows liftoff and return when I do an auto landing or with the RC sticks. The main problem is the motors NEVER really arm and start spinning, it appears to all be pretend or virtual. The motors never really start and the copter never really leaves the ground, as a matter of fact the props are not on the P3S. I have repeatedly done IMU calibration, as well as recalibrated the compass. Camera works fine.

Any ideas on what exactly is going on in the P3S 'brain' on this one, where it tells me it is ready to go and then takes off in the DJI Go app, but never really does?

Thanks
2017-10-21
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Are you in Flight Simulator mode?
2017-10-21
Use props
sSunSets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Hmmm... Something like that I'd send in for a check-up. Hope ya have a service plan or insurance. You said you recalibrated to IMU and campass. Did the IMU read "normal" if so how do you re-calibrate that? I can't , and I've noticed a slight tilt in my stills. If she has been damaged in crash... Maybe some curcuit connections were weakened in control board.
2017-10-21
Use props
cloudchaser
New
United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-10-21 11:10
Are you in Flight Simulator mode?

I don't think I'm in simulator mode. I just uninstalled the DJI Go app from my Android and reinstalled fresh;same results with trying to start the P3S. Anything else I need to do to see if I'm in simulator mode?
Thanks
2017-10-21
Use props
cloudchaser
New
United States

sSunSets Posted at 2017-10-21 14:10
Hmmm... Something like that I'd send in for a check-up. Hope ya have a service plan or insurance. You said you recalibrated to IMU and campass. Did the IMU read "normal" if so how do you re-calibrate that? I can't , and I've noticed a slight tilt in my stills. If she has been damaged in crash... Maybe some curcuit connections were weakened in control board.

Yes, the IMU reads normal. I went through the 5-10 minute re-calibration exercise probably 8-10 times.
Thanks
2017-10-21
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

cloudchaser Posted at 2017-10-21 17:29
I don't think I'm in simulator mode. I just uninstalled the DJI Go app from my Android and reinstalled fresh;same results with trying to start the P3S. Anything else I need to do to see if I'm in simulator mode?
Thanks

I've never used the simulator, but I know it's in the app.  Not sure if that is the case here.  Since that has been crashed, it might be the best to send to DJI to be checked out.  Good luck.
2017-10-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The aircraft performance can not be ensured after crash. I would recommend you to send it in for fully diagnosis: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-10-22
Use props
cloudchaser
New
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-22 01:12
The aircraft performance can not be ensured after crash. I would recommend you to send it in for fully diagnosis: http://www.dji.com/support

I went through and finally realized that while trying to diagnose the problem I had removed the prop guards then made the not unknown mistake of putting the long prop guard screws back in. Well that of course led to shorting out the motors. Once that happened I decided to replace the entire sub-unit of the ESC motherboard and the motors all at once. Found a new set of board and four motors for $130 on eBay, which included shipping. Got the board and motors in less than a week, took about 1 hour to replace the old board and motors with the mew stuff. Got the whole thing up and running quickly and it was like kit was new out of the box. Flown several time since then and every thing works great.

Thanks for the suggestions above.

2017-11-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Ahh - the prop guard screws!  Many make this mistake.  Not quite as many admit to it.  Thanks for posting.  
2017-11-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

cloudchaser Posted at 2017-11-3 21:36
I went through and finally realized that while trying to diagnose the problem I had removed the prop guards then made the not unknown mistake of putting the long prop guard screws back in. Well that of course led to shorting out the motors. Once that happened I decided to replace the entire sub-unit of the ESC motherboard and the motors all at once. Found a new set of board and four motors for $130 on eBay, which included shipping. Got the board and motors in less than a week, took about 1 hour to replace the old board and motors with the mew stuff. Got the whole thing up and running quickly and it was like kit was new out of the box. Flown several time since then and every thing works great.

Thanks for the suggestions above.

Glad to know that you have figured it out. Take care when you test the performance.
2017-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules