Phantom 3 SE: Is the connection really stable 4 Kilometres away?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DjiDroneDude
lvl.1

Germany

Yeah - today I went into the dji online store, looking for how much I would pay if I would get such a drone - and tripped over the Phantom 3 SE with, for it´s price, pretty good specs. As DJI tests their products in best conditions etc. I would like to know if anybody owning a Phantom 3 SE (or a other dji-drone with 4 km WIFI-Range) can confirm that it´s really 4 kilometres (and how it changes when there´s for example a mountain in between). Have you experienced any problems with it´s transmission?
Thanks for all answers in advance,
- DjiDroneDude

2017-10-23
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We have flown a P3Advance 4.2km with full video all the way _ totally stock no adaptions at all - line of sight - mountains cut the signal totally - even a tree in full leave at distance reduces the link quality significantly,
2017-10-23
Use props
DjiDroneDude
lvl.1

Germany

Aerial-Image Posted at 2017-10-23 08:34
We have flown a P3Advance 4.2km with full video all the way _ totally stock no adaptions at all - line of sight - mountains cut the signal totally - even a tree in full leave at distance reduces the link quality significantly,

Thanks for your answer!
I know know I´m not going to get the Phantom 3 SE ;)
- DjiDroneDude
2017-10-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The simple answer is that you will not get 4km with the P3SE, and putting a mountain between you and the aircraft will guarantee loss of signal on ANY drone. But the P3 Advanced or Pro could get that range easily in rural flying. But as they have been discontinued, look at a P4 instead.
2017-10-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The range under FCC Compliant is 4km and CE is 500m. It is the test result with unobstructed, free of interference environment. The signal might be easily obstructed if there is a mountain in between.
2017-10-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Since the AC is rated to fly as far as 4000 meters in a perfect environment, that's what is called the "edge of range" - meaning you are likely to lose your signal at any moment.  So no, "stable" is not a good word to use when describing the connection and flying at the edge of range regardless of your AC or controller.  Another thing - long distance is not plug and play.  You're likely not going to take this or any other Phantom out of the box and fly at max spec range on the first try or the second try or the third try.  There's a technique involved which you will learn with time.  Below is a guy who tried it and failed (which is typical), but read the comments.  I can see six mistakes he made just from the first two secs of video.  One of the SE owners in the youtube comment area claims to have done it and I've read posts from at least one other pilot who has done it.  If you buy one, read the manual and associated documents at least twice before you fly.  Good luck.

2017-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules