Expert advice please
1099 8 2017-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rusty Iron
lvl.3
Australia

I crashed my Mavic back on the 1st of this month and have just received the new one (I used my Care Refresh) I checked the serial number and it was manufactured in early May this year. I can't find a single mark anywhere on it so as far as I am concerned, it's as good as brand new. Also got a new battery and new props. Haven't flown it yet.

To get this one up and running I plan to do the following, in this order;

1. Bind the AC to the remote. Is there a tried, tested and best way to do this?

2. Update firmware if it asks for it (I never had any problem at all with any previous update on the old AC, so I'm crossing my fingers this one will be the same...)

3. Calibrate the IMU

4. Calibrate the compass

5. Calibrate the gimbal

(I'm using an iPad Air 2 with the very latest IOS and latest GO 4. iPad has no sim card and after any update I turn wifi off and put it in AP mode. I use the bottom USB port and a standard Apple cable)

Do you think this is a good plan? Any traps I should watch out for?
2017-10-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

I think these two videos are helpful.

2017-10-24
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Its not necessary to calibrate the compass or IMU if not prompted . Got a replacement Mavic last winter,  just paired the drone and RC, and a firmware update. Worked fine.
2017-10-24
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

fansc2962bbc Posted at 2017-10-24 01:56
Its not necessary to calibrate the compass or IMU if not prompted . Got a replacement Mavic last winter,  just paired the drone and RC, and a firmware update. Worked fine.

I would say the same!
2017-10-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Why would you Calibrate your compass and Imu , maybe take time to read your manual you will come across the page where it will tell you not to calibrate unless prompted
2017-10-24
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

fansc2962bbc Posted at 2017-10-24 01:56

I would say the same too. I got a replacement MAVIC a couple months ago. Paired the RC, calibrated the compass because it asked for it, which mine happens 90% of the time for me, and flew, in beginner mode at first, just to see how it was going to respond. Then slowly put it thru it's paces.
2017-10-24
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

As above, but I skipped FW upgrade as mine was under repair because of this in a first place!
Go flying!
2017-10-24
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

There is only one way to pair RC to MP, see video in  #2...

Calibrating of IMU, Gimbal, Compass only when prompted...
2017-10-24
Use props
Rusty Iron
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks guys. It looks like I should just pair the remote and then only calibrate if prompted. I'll do that and then fly with a lot of caution to start with, see how it goes. Thanks again.
2017-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules