Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Time To Spend Again.
1243 26 2017-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

I'm turning 50 in the next few weeks and would like to get at least the DJI goggles but also looking at the Osmo Mobile device and wondered what the establishemnt on here thought about it, good and bad points.... I guess the same question goes to the goggles also.
2017-10-25
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear Bigga J,
Despite of what you get, I wish you a great 50th birthday!
It is not easy to get to our age with so many passions.
Congrats!
2017-10-25
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-10-25 07:13
Dear Bigga J,
Despite of what you get, I wish you a great 50th birthday!
It is not easy to get to our age with so many passions.

Thank you .... Much appreciated, Age is just a number in my book.
2017-10-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Well, all the best to you!
I just purchased the osmo mobile.
So far the webshop did not deliver (out of stock), so soon I can tell how I like it.
The Goggles for me have little use as we (in NL) must remain LOS when flying a drone (or I must be the spectator)
2017-10-25
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

For me, drone flying is worth it when You visit new and interesting places - so just a suggestion - give Yourself a trip for bday present or bike or anything to help You travel and enjoy Your Mavic!
And welcome to the club - life is just starting after 50
2017-10-25
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

The googles are great addition to your kit, they are compatible with the DJI products too if you decide to purchase a Phantom or Inspire. You will need to purchase focus fixers or 3d print your own if you wear glasses. I am holding back on the Osmo as the base model is probably going to get a 4k frame rate upgrade from 30 to 60. The alternative is to treat yourself to both
2017-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Life begins at 50 enjoy. I have both Osmo and Osmo Mobile both are great . You have the option of purchasing Osmo and buying fitting for this which will turn it into Osmo mobile.

First Osmo is a great camera for all on the ground shots and video , it has a couple of problems doesn’t record sound to well unless you purchase separate mic, doesn’t work to good indoors in poor light, but apart from that it’s very hard to say anything bad about it, you can also purchase so many add ones for different jobs it’s a full time hobby in itself.

Osmo Mobile is just great 3 hour battery great picture quality very steady walking or running will work well in low light has great active track , you just can’t fault this gadget although it’s a little more than a gadget.

I do think if you buy the mobile you will always be wondering why you didn’t purchase Osmo or Osmo + and then just buy mobile add on, but it depends on your budget.
Good luck.
2017-10-25
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

I would also take a look at the Epson Moverio FPV glasses. I have tried both, the DJI goggles, and the Moverios. I like the emersiveness of the goggles, but don't like the claustrifobic feeling I get when wearing them.
I cannot see what is around me, and a pain to locate the drone in the air for VLOS.

The Moverios on the other hand give you your peripheral vision back, you can see the drone, and all around you, no claustrifobic feeling, lighter, but a wee bit more expensive.
Look at youtube for comparison. Here is a link to start you on your decision making process:

I treid both on a comparison flight, and I ordered the Epson Moverio the next day
2017-10-25
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

The goggles are pretty cool and you can use them for more than just your drone. The issue I have with them is I dont wear glasses but still needed the cheap readers glasses to see it clearly so I will be purchasing the focus fixers soon. They are also very large. They will draw attention to you while flying.
2017-10-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Gmman Posted at 2017-10-25 11:46
The goggles are pretty cool and you can use them for more than just your drone. The issue I have with them is I dont wear glasses but still needed the cheap readers glasses to see it clearly so I will be purchasing the focus fixers soon. They are also very large. They will draw attention to you while flying.

LOL @ drawing attention!  Yes, you look like a total dork with them on, but who cares...  It's easier than sprouting some wings & eyeball upgrades.
2017-10-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Like the other guy said, get the focus-fixers.com things for the goggles.  They are necessary since DJI is baffled by focus.  Also get a yard of ale.  
2017-10-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

You have our best wishes for sure, Bigga J! If you need some specs of OSMO mobile and Goggles, you can go to our official website to learn more details (see links below). I love those products, hope other users can also help to make some opinions for your reference, too.
http://www.dji.com/osmo-mobile?site=brandsite&from=nav
http://www.dji.com/dji-goggles?site=brandsite&from=nav
2017-10-26
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for all your replies so far guys and the well wishes.

@Flycaster, I had never heard of the Moverios so thanks ... will take a look and go from there.

I do wear glasses for reading only, I have excellent long distance vision but close up I struggle a little so I guess focus fixers will need to be purchased, Will I need these with either the DJI and the Moverios?
2017-10-26
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Whooo, I just had a look at the Epson Moverio's, impressive but what a price !!! £719 in the UK! thats new drone territory.
2017-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2017-10-25 11:25
I would also take a look at the Epson Moverio FPV glasses. I have tried both, the DJI goggles, and the Moverios. I like the emersiveness of the goggles, but don't like the claustrifobic feeling I get when wearing them.
I cannot see what is around me, and a pain to locate the drone in the air for VLOS.

Hahaha, so the DJI Goggles are too immersive?  
2017-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2017-10-26 01:02
Thanks for all your replies so far guys and the well wishes.

@Flycaster, I had never heard of the Moverios so thanks ... will take a look and go from there.

Focus Fixers are only for the DJI Goggles since they got the focus WAY WONG & refuse to fix or acknowledge the game-breaking issue.  They are custom 3D printed for the DJI Goggles.

The goggles were unusable before the FF.
2017-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2017-10-26 01:20
Whooo, I just had a look at the Epson Moverio's, impressive but what a price !!! £719 in the UK! thats new drone territory.

Yea & it's an itty bitty screen.  Might as well go with overpriced Fatsharks if you feel like straining your eyes to look at 2 Apple watches from across the room.

Epson could have made these space-aged if they had incorporated a variable-polarizer for the lenses (like airplanes have had since the 70s).  This way they could fade in & out; from transparent to opaque.  For that price, they should transition to ambient lighting needs.  THAT would be augmented reality.  There are security windows that do this, too, with a small electrical current.  An old Knight Rider episode even featured this (1980s) inspired from aviation!
2017-10-26
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-26 22:15
Yea & it's an itty bitty screen.  Might as well go with overpriced Fatsharks if you feel like straining your eyes to look at 2 Apple watches from across the room.

Epson could have made these space-aged if they had incorporated a variable-polarizer for the lenses (like airplanes have had since the 70s).  This way they could fade in & out; from transparent to opaque.  For that price, they should transition to ambient lighting needs.  THAT would be augmented reality.  There are security windows that do this, too, with a small electrical current.  An old Knight Rider episode even featured this (1980s) inspired from aviation!

There is always a compromise ... I totally get your point though, the price is crazy for what you get but doing further research they do get rave reviews.

The plus point is they look like glasses and allow line of sight flying at the same time.

2017-10-27
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46283 ft
United States

Happy Birthday, Bigga J.  Let us know what you end up getting and why.
2017-10-27
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Silver Surfer Posted at 2017-10-27 09:16
Happy Birthday, Bigga J.  Let us know what you end up getting and why.

Many thanks .... not quite there yet but will be in about a weeks time. I am selling some unused things to help with funding the goggles etc.

At present I think I am edging towards the Moverio's , I like the idea of being able to see FPV and  line of sight. To me they seem to give the best of both worlds plus they are light in weight and look much more like normal glasses.

The price is high in comparison to the DJI goggles but if I sell some gear I can justify it.
2017-10-30
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-26 22:06

No, not too immersive, They do work well, I just don't like being "cut-off" from my surroundings. And I can keep my situation awareness on,
2017-10-30
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The goggles are 1st class. My wife loves them, I love them. Just a shame they are soooo big on the head. Worth the cost though as flawless connectivity and feed. Need to sit down while using them though as tend to walk around instead of standing still. LOL.
2017-10-30
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-26 22:06

You certainly get the best feel as they are so complete around the eye's. A little bothersome lifting the goggles up to find your drone but the design is very good for this. I find that everything around me is forgotten when using them as they are so enjoyable. Tend to rely on my sense of hearing for walkers and curious members of the public. I do tend to try and find out of the way take off and landing locations though as don't like being interupted while flying.
2017-10-30
Use props
Orind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129754 ft
United States

Happy birthday to you.  I used the Epson glasses and found them to be impressive, but I must say I never really adjusted to looking at the "screen" and drone at the same time.  I was pleased with my Osmo plus--good camera.  I used it chest mounted for mountain biking, but in the end, it was a bit bulky for that purpose--although the videos were very good.

All good choices, and it sounds like you will have lots of fun--enjoy.
2017-10-30
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2017-10-30 05:53
No, not too immersive, They do work well, I just don't like being "cut-off" from my surroundings. And I can keep my situation awareness on,

That's funny, because I was thinking the same thing.  When you are wearing the helmet you are totally cut off from what is going on around you.  Unless you have copilot to keep an eye out for you.  Otherwise someone could walk right up to you and knock you out and take your stuff...   LOL!
2017-10-30
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

These two: DJI goggles and if you can wing it, the Osmo Mobile device would be perfect B-Day gifts !!  Grab these 2 gifts and celebrate the big FIVE ZERO !!!  
2017-10-30
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2017-10-25 11:25

Flycaster, congratulations enjoy your new Moverio BT-300.  Thanks for posting the Moverio BT-300 video.
It is now definitely my choice.  I saw the DJI Helmet at Best Buy and was tempted to buy it.  But now I'm glad I waited.
2017-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules