Will I regret not getting the Mavic?
2420 34 2017-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_suh95NL
lvl.1
United States

First time drone buyer, and wondering how much I will miss not having 4k? My main concerns are ability to travel, qnd ease of use. Is the Spark actually easier to travel with?
2017-10-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

The difference between Spark and Mavic, in the bags, is about 1:2 in the weight, EDIT: just 1-2 pounds more is the mavic with a sec. battery.   But it is not that much in the bag dimensions, I think. I took the spark, b/c I like to travel light by plane. No Check In luggage. And there it is really the question, how much you like to bet on how the airlines looking for the carry on rules, dimension and weight.  Others than that, I see more and more advantages for the mavic. But still dont regret, that I have the Spark. Yet. I may put the Mavic on my X-Mas list. But have to wait anyway till the Platinum is available at my location
2017-10-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have both.  To answer your questions, nope and yes.  Really fly the Spark a lot more nowadays, and I travel a lot.  I always bring both drones, but use the Spark on a 5 : 1 ratio.  The camera is actually quite good for what it is.  
2017-10-26
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

When the mavic is folded, it's not really that much bigger than the Spark.
It is heavier, but we are talking in the hundreds of grams range.
4K vs. FHD - that depends entirely on you and how much you like what you see in either one. Does the difference in quality really matter to you? it's entirely subjective. Look at some movies online and judge according to your own eyesight.
The Spark, after all, costs only half as much. That's a consideration too.
2017-10-26
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Do you have space/network/computational power to process 4k?
2017-10-26
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

For me....the Spark *seemed* to me at the time less likely to draw attention from passerbys.  The Mavic just "looks" bigger, and could be louder (never heard one in person).  I do plan on getting a Mavic Pro Platinum when I hone my skills with the Spark.

YMMV...

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2017-10-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Todd in Chicago Posted at 2017-10-26 08:16
For me....the Spark *seemed* to me at the time less likely to draw attention from passerbys.  The Mavic just "looks" bigger, and could be louder (never heard one in person).  I do plan on getting a Mavic Pro Platinum when I hone my skills with the Spark.

YMMV...

Not only that!
In the past 4 weeks I had lots of security checks, X-ray, with Spark in my handluggage.
Neither in Europe, Cologne, Hamburg, Warsaw, nor in Asia, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok, anyone ever wanted to take a look at it. But almost all wanted to see the 10.400 powerbank.
Ok, I do not know, if that is any different with mavic, but looking at the batteriy size, the Spark batteries arent pushing curiosity during the screening!

Edit:

I think the spark is louder, or sounds more agressiv, its a higher sound.
Flew a couple of times near Mavics, my Spark is easier to hear!
2017-10-26
Use props
Joepub1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 557818 ft
United States

The Spark is alot of fun, and a good drone in general. The Mavic, in my opinion, is a more solid performer.
2017-10-26
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

I have the both,
I use the Spark 5% of the time, for the fun, not for work ...
2017-10-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If they add 25fps, I would go for Spark. Why?
- Size (I know, folded the Mavic is about the same size, but still Spark is much smaller)
- Price
- Uncertain what the legislation in NL will bring in the future (it will get worse, but when and how much will I have invested in a drone that I can't fly anymore?)
- Workflow not ready for 4K editing. And my other camera's are still 'only' FHD. Mavic seems to have bad 1080 performance.
- Short recharge time

I know I will be missing some resolution (video), flighttime and the better gimbal, but that seems not worth the extra $$$
I would rather move up to P4A if I considered Mavic. That would be a step up and about the same cost as the Mavic (except for the batteries)

So for now still uncertain. At least, if DJI refuses to add 25fps to Spark.
2017-10-26
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

Get both, they're equally impressive. I love my mavic, but being able to take my spark anywhere has been a real treat. For my needs, the video only has to be web-quality so 4k is not a necessity.
2017-10-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No. In fact the Mavic is easier as more compact when folded (just look at the size/shape of the DJI shoulder bags for each to get a better idea). I don't think you'll regret your decision though if it's your first drone. See how you get on and if you enjoy it then look to upgrade in 6 months or so. The Spark is better to learn on, nearly half the price and great fun to fly.
2017-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s not so much the travelling with Mavic or spark both are easy to get around, Mavic sometimes may prove intrusive for people so you find yourself looking for spaces where you won’t attract attention, you will never have this problem with your spark, yes you might not have 4K but you will have very good 1080, you don’t have raw but you still have 12mp same as Mavic , you don’t have distance but most people travelling will keep drone in close range, you won’t have the longer battery time but you get 2 spark batteries for the price of 1 Mavic , so 4/5 batteries with spark and you will have a great time flying.
Good luck...
2017-10-26
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

i did my research before buying the Spark over the Mavic.  I was looking for a compact drone that would deliver great pictures and videos which the spark has exceeded my expecations.  It's up within seconds if palm launching and the hand gesture functions are pretty cool once you understand how they work.  The flight distance and height are acceptable given we need to fly within restrictions in Canada and simular in US (FAA).  Bottom line is for 699US you get a spark and i couldn't justify the extra 700$ to get the Mavic.  Will i buy a Mavic in the future; maybe if i have a need to capture videos at a higher resolution.  Would a buy another Spark; i'd buy one tomorrow without hesitation.  Good luck in your decision.
2017-10-26
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-10-26 10:45
i did my research before buying the Spark over the Mavic.  I was looking for a compact drone that would deliver great pictures and videos which the spark has exceeded my expecations.  It's up within seconds if palm launching and the hand gesture functions are pretty cool once you understand how they work.  The flight distance and height are acceptable given we need to fly within restrictions in Canada and simular in US (FAA).  Bottom line is for 699US you get a spark and i couldn't justify the extra 700$ to get the Mavic.  Will i buy a Mavic in the future; maybe if i have a need to capture videos at a higher resolution.  Would a buy another Spark; i'd buy one tomorrow without hesitation.  Good luck in your decision.

The diference between SPARK COMBO and Mavic Platinum is "only" U$ 400 and not U$ 700. Mavic NO Combo has everything SPARK COMBO has. So, you don't need to buy a MAVIC COMBO in order to have all the goods that is needed when you buy the SPARK COMBO.
2017-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

LOKY Posted at 2017-10-26 10:50
The diference between SPARK COMBO and Mavic Platinum is "only" U$ 400 and not U$ 700. Mavic NO Combo has everything SPARK COMBO has. So, you don't need to buy a MAVIC COMBO in order to have all the goods that is needed when you buy the SPARK COMBO.

Not quite correct, Mavic pp only 1 battery no bag single charger no prop guards etc.
2017-10-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LOKY Posted at 2017-10-26 10:50

You do get the extra battery, prop guards, bag, storage box, battery charging hub with the Spark combo in addition to everything else the basic Mavic combo offers. However, you do get a completely superior drone with even the basic Mavic for the extra $400. For the extra $600 the Mavic combo accessories smash the Spark combo to bits (minus prop guards that most people never use) but $600 extra to total $1,399 is more than twice the price of $699 - when comparing both combo options.
2017-10-26
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe. What do you mean by travel? In your backpack whilst you mtb(insert active pursuit of choice) or get from a to b by plane/train/automobile? If the latter it will not make a not of difference, if the former it might. In hindsight I think I might have been better with the mavic but not because of 4K. Single battery life (so flight time), speed in the air to follow action and improved connection and range (eu). But....and it’s a big but....take what you think you will do with it and opportunities you have for generating worthwhile footage with a huge pinch of salt.  I am currently in Greece on a swimming and biking week. It’s beautiful but the spark has barely left my room..... because I came here to swim and bike not faff around with a drone. So much of the short films I see post here and elsewhere are dire. Tedious bannal tosh of owner’s immediate locality. I don’t want to be that guy. How often are you somewhere worth filming and when you are would you spend enough time to generate footage? Glad I own my spark but for me the limiting factors was finance. I’m comfortably off but not at the ‘if money was no object’ stage and for the use it gets the spark could be justified whilst the mavic could not be.
2017-10-26
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-10-26 11:04
You do get the extra battery, prop guards, bag, storage box, battery charging hub with the Spark combo in addition to everything else the basic Mavic combo offers. However, you do get a completely superior drone with even the basic Mavic for the extra $400. For the extra $600 the Mavic combo accessories smash the Spark combo to bits (minus prop guards that most people never use) but $600 extra to total $1,399 is more than twice the price of $699 - when comparing both combo options.

For the extra money and batteries that cost twice as much as the spark, I get a Mavic drone that I can fly to 400 feet altitude, I can fly about a football field or so away, and I can fly for 10 minutes or so it takes to get my shots (setting the scene where we are playing).  It also gives me 1080p video, which is all I feel like processing or storing.

Great, but the Spark does that for hundreds less and doesn't look like a dangerous spy vehicle in the air.  I guess it depends on your use case.

I looked at the two of them like a DSLR or a smaller sensor mirrorless camera.  Size, capability, and cost I did not need for my use.  If the Spark didn't exist, I would have got a Mavic Pro.  I can see where people would want the Mavic or a Phantom (flying beyond the horizon or far off shore?) for what they need.
2017-10-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-10-26 11:33
For the extra money and batteries that cost twice as much as the spark, I get a Mavic drone that I can fly to 400 feet altitude, I can fly about a football field or so away, and I can fly for 10 minutes or so it takes to get my shots (setting the scene where we are playing).  It also gives me 1080p video, which is all I feel like processing or storing.

Great, but the Spark does that for hundreds less and doesn't look like a dangerous spy vehicle in the air.  I guess it depends on your use case.

As the owner of the Spark, Mavic Pro and P4P you will definitely find a different requirement from each drone. I do find OcuSync to be amazing in comparison to WiFi - no GPS loss, no disconnect issues - full confidence with way more options for the shot required in terms of range, air speed, flight time, intelligent flight modes, a huge reduction in noise (platinum) and of course 720p - c.4K with frame rates of 24p to 120p. The Spark is really great fun though.
2017-10-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-10-26 11:33

As the owner of the Spark, Mavic Pro and P4P you will definitely find a different requirement from each drone. I do find OcuSync and dual IMU/compass redundancies to be amazing in comparison to WiFi - no GPS loss, no disconnect issues, no glitches or lag in the live feed - full confidence with way more options for the shot required in terms of range, air speed, flight time, intelligent flight modes, a huge reduction in noise (platinum) and of course 720p - c.4K with frame rates of 24p to 120p. The Spark is really great fun though.
2017-10-26
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-10-26 11:49
As the owner of the Spark, Mavic Pro and P4P you will definitely find a different requirement from each drone. I do find OcuSync and dual IMU/compass redundancies to be amazing in comparison to WiFi - no GPS loss, no disconnect issues, no glitches or lag in the live feed - full confidence with way more options for the shot required in terms of range, air speed, flight time, intelligent flight modes, a huge reduction in noise (platinum) and of course 720p - c.4K with frame rates of 24p to 120p. The Spark is really great fun though.

The better link could be handy.  That is a selling point.  I flew across a large corn field with good connection.  Then, later in the day, did it again.  Holding my RC up to shield the setting sun from my eyes, I lost video connection.  Turned out I was pointing the antennas horizontally at myself but didn't realize that was the problem.  So, I drove around the corn field and got the same picture but was there to keep an eye on the drone and ensure good signal.

Odd thing was the first flight I had to hussle back because a hawk started orbiting right about where I thought my Spark was.  I need to be near the Spark (old Radio control airplane pilot who likes eyes on).   
2017-10-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-10-26 12:15
The better link could be handy.  That is a selling point.  I flew across a large corn field with good connection.  Then, later in the day, did it again.  Holding my RC up to shield the setting sun from my eyes, I lost video connection.  Turned out I was pointing the antennas horizontally at myself but didn't realize that was the problem.  So, I drove around the corn field and got the same picture but was there to keep an eye on the drone and ensure good signal.

Odd thing was the first flight I had to hussle back because a hawk started orbiting right about where I thought my Spark was.  I need to be near the Spark (old Radio control airplane pilot who likes eyes on).

Flying line of sight is a 'legal' requirement in most countries but especially important with the Spark as more susceptible to the impact of electromagnetic and external WiFi interference. If you lose GPS mid flight the RTH will be ineffective and if not in line of sight to navigate back in ATTI you will only need to lose signal to lose the drone. I've flown my Spark in an open area with 17 sats and just 400' away the GPS lost and it went straight into ATTI mode - it lasted 5 seconds as I controlled the Spark manually and hasn't happened since but I find at least one issue everytime I fly - glitches in my transmission, disconnects, gesture controls not recognising my palm efficiency but overall I expect that from a drone worth less than my iPhone and I've never crashed or lost it at the end of the day... You just need to make allowances for it. As for the Mavic - I have to turn it around quickly when nearing a mile away though it can fly much further I prefer to be safe - no issues at all regarding OcuSync. If only they put it in the Spark with redundancies then it would truly be a mini Mavic but unfortunately the RC tech in the Spark is about the same as the 2015 P3S. I understand why many do but it isn't fair to compare the Spark with the Mavic really - apart from their portability they are very different drones.
2017-10-26
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

I do not care about 4K but I do care about range and I wish the Spark had Occusync instead of the WiFi connection that it does. The WiFi is just not reliable enough beyond 500m. I also care about flight time. 12:04 is the max flight time I have been able to achieve in the 3 months and 380 flights of owning the Spark.
The max speed (non-sport) is fairly slow, I cannot keep up with rowers when recording them. In Sport mode the gimbal is useles.

I do like the size and weight.

I do wish the Spark could shoot photos in DNG (Mavic can).
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

According to your description, I think Spark is enough for you to travel around and share the pictures.
2017-10-27
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-10-27
Use props
Eric04401
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4531 ft
United States

I don't think that you'll wish you had a Mavic because it can record in 4K.  Your videos are probably being watched on 1080p computer screens, tablets, cell phones, etc.  Plus, 4k footage is more intensive on a computer's resources and some computers (especially laptops) may choke up when trying to edit the video.  I also debated Spark versus Mavic and ultimately chose the Spark Fly More Combo because 1) it's cheaper, especially its $50 spare batteries  2) it's small and light, so good for my hiking adventures and 3) it's my first drone.  I have zero complaints with the quality of the footage.  It's better than my GoPro!  That being said, I may still upgrade to a Mavic one day because I find that the Spark is noisy and disturbs others around me, so this new quieter Mavic would be nice.  I also find it difficult to pan left/right smoothly on the Spark because it doesn't have the yaw gimbal and because the RC is waaaay too sensitive.  Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you can adjust the yaw sensitivity on the Mavic, much like you can adjust the gimbal speed on the Spark.  I think the Mavic would also be more stable in the wind, though I've been surprised how much wind the Spark can fly in and still record good video.  You'll be happy with their purchase, except for the fact that the app on Android is horrendously unstable regardless of which one you get.  
2017-10-27
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

My first drone too, and I'm happy. Eventually may upgrade to Mavic or whatever is out there at the time, but the Spark is great for me to learn with. Been learning a lot here, as well as playing around with it.
2017-10-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric04401 Posted at 2017-10-27 08:46
I don't think that you'll wish you had a Mavic because it can record in 4K.  Your videos are probably being watched on 1080p computer screens, tablets, cell phones, etc.  Plus, 4k footage is more intensive on a computer's resources and some computers (especially laptops) may choke up when trying to edit the video.  I also debated Spark versus Mavic and ultimately chose the Spark Fly More Combo because 1) it's cheaper, especially its $50 spare batteries  2) it's small and light, so good for my hiking adventures and 3) it's my first drone.  I have zero complaints with the quality of the footage.  It's better than my GoPro!  That being said, I may still upgrade to a Mavic one day because I find that the Spark is noisy and disturbs others around me, so this new quieter Mavic would be nice.  I also find it difficult to pan left/right smoothly on the Spark because it doesn't have the yaw gimbal and because the RC is waaaay too sensitive.  Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you can adjust the yaw sensitivity on the Mavic, much like you can adjust the gimbal speed on the Spark.  I think the Mavic would also be more stable in the wind, though I've been surprised how much wind the Spark can fly in and still record good video.  You'll be happy with their purchase, except for the fact that the app on Android is horrendously unstable regardless of which one you get.

You can control lost signal actions (land, hover or RTH), gains, expo (which includes yaw), gimbal tilt etc etc the list is very comprehensive on how you can tailor the Mavic to your flight needs. It is far more advanced than the Spark (as to be expected given the price difference).
2017-10-27
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

If you are willing to buy a refurb you can get one from DJI for $730.
2017-10-27
Use props
motopa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88615 ft
Spain

I just sold a mavic (2 months old). It wasn´t I was looking for. I bought because first spark was a lot limited (2mp photos in gesture, no video recording... and the 100 limit meters from home point with phone, now it´s supposed to be solved with new firmware and auto home point update).

To me, main problem is portability. Mavic, to me is UNUSUABLE by wifi (even it´s included), no active track working with my android S8. If you buy a spark with remote controller, then, better to get mavic I think.

I hate the remote controller, works ok (but bery bad designed), but if you have to carry it, isn´t very portable (spark or mavic). I prefer use my phone to basic operations (quick shots mode ie), or active track with my motorcycle, bicycle or quad.... but I can´t carry a remote (drone is enough). Too, gesture mode, for some basic operations, how photos, I think is perfect (putting phone on remote, starting, connecting.... it´s not very good for a fast photo... then you don´t take it.)

I´m waiting to confirm I can do active track for more than 100m with new firmware (mavic can do 80m.... and new firmware has yet  AUTO UPDATE HOME POINT) then it will be able to do more... but I can´t tested because my active track by wifi didn´t work (with ios I think it´s working, but android, a lot issues).

Regards
2017-10-28
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic is also easy to travel with and better stability with better camera.
2017-10-28
Use props
Javey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

Al

Honestly, I can't see THAT much difference in vid / pic quality, if I had to pick one of my two, and wasn't flying long distances I'd just go with the Spark.  Although the MP has been FUN to fly!!!
2017-10-28
Use props
VigilanteDrones
First Officer
Flight distance : 11800554 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-10-26 07:36
I have both.  To answer your questions, nope and yes.  Really fly the Spark a lot more nowadays, and I travel a lot.  I always bring both drones, but use the Spark on a 5 : 1 ratio.  The camera is actually quite good for what it is.

I am interested in buying one of the two.  Do you notice much of a difference with the gimbal on the spark  having only 2 axis?
2017-10-28
Use props
Gary Cooper
New

Canada

is 4 k better than 1080 HD.  Do you have a 4 k television or monitor? Are you wanting to post in 4 K on youtube? Or are you producing for television programming? I have an inspire 1 pro, A Phantom 4 and a spark. The spark has the same sensor as the Mavic and Phantom 4. The Phantom 4 pro has a larger sensor than the mavic, Spark and  other phantoms. The Inspire with the x3 camera has the same sensor as the mavic and spark. The inspire pro has a micro 4/3 sensor that is smaller than the Phantom pro sensor. The idea that you get a better picture from a Mavic 4k is only true if you want to stay 4k. And I have never been impressed with the quality of the 4k on these small sensors. They are equal at best to your phones 4 k. If you are shooting for a television show then you will have to down convert to HD as 99.9% of your broadcasters are not interested in 4k.  When you down convert your Mavic footage from 4k to 1080 HD the quality sucks in comparison to what comes off the spark. People who talk about the pro values of the
mavic
say that the  spark is for beginners are wrong. I am selling my Phantom 4. Never use my inspire pro unless I am trying to impress a client. And I carry the Spark and use the footage in my productions continually. The shots are usually only 3 second shots and act a lot like B roll. The bit rate on all these cameras are not that great and the dynamic range is poor. I have 30 years in television production as an independent producer and the only thing 4 k is good for is cropping.  A cropped shot down converted looks even worse.  If I ever did buy a Mavic it would only be when it came out with the sony 1 inch sensor.
2017-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules