DJI hardware no longer accepted by certain clients
2195 35 2017-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

We have a non-govermental organization who is a client of ours that operates and maintains critical public support structures.  We had been performing inspections, surveys, investigations, etc., for them with DJI hardware (Phantoms and Inspires).  However, they are now not allowing use of DJI hardware due to flight/location (?) information that DJI collects.  Could someone help me understand just what information DJI UAVs collect and is sent back to DJI involuntarily?  I'd really like to quell their concerns.

Thanks.

2017-10-27
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Same reason the military  grounded all dji drones.  Too much info dji can collect!
2017-10-27
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-27 11:28
Same reason the military  grounded all dji drones.  Too much info dji can collect!

That's probably what prompted this particular client.  Seems to me a pilot could start the flight with a DJI app then switch to something else that doesn't gather data when actually getting into the air?  I'm on the fence about purchase several DJI UAVs, but now I'm having to look at non-China-built hardware due to the data gathering.
2017-10-27
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

They're trying to fix this now, where you can supposedly block any info you don't want them to have access to.
2017-10-27
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

Thanks.  I'll stay tuned...
2017-10-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If users sync the flight records, location and the drone's status will be synchronized to the server. DJI ensures the high confidentiality of all the info on the server, will not divulge them to any third party.
2017-10-31
Use props
Dewey3
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-31 01:42
If users sync the flight records, location and the drone's status will be synchronized to the server. DJI ensures the high confidentiality of all the info on the server, will not divulge them to any third party.

Do you mean like Equifax ensures the high confidentiality of consumers personal credit records.... no thanks.
2017-10-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I believe there is going to be a privacy mode or something.
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... ernet-data-transfer
2017-10-31
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

It will be a long way run!
2017-10-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or, just don’t sync records and use airplane mode.... it’s really that simple....
2017-10-31
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-31 01:42

It's not so much about the company DJI as it is the country of DJI. No offense intended.
2017-10-31
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Data Mining has been going on for years, DJI is a very minor part of it, believe me Google, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter the list goes on and on, they probably have more information on me than I do!!
2017-10-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... ernet-data-transfer

This might quell any fears your client may have in the future.
2017-10-31
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I don't understand why any client would care.  Say DJI knows that a drone was flying at x,y coordinates at such-and-such time.  So what?  Unless they are worried that imagery is secretly being transferred as well?

It seems to me it's the pilot that's getting the shaft, not the client.
2017-10-31
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-31 02:42
I believe there is going to be a privacy mode or something.
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-launches-privacy-mode-for-drone-operators-to-fly-without-internet-data-transfer

The news release indicates this applies to the DJI Pilot Application.  I am not familiar with this application.  Is it different than the DJI GO 4 Application?  I can't tell from the article if this feature will be added to DJI Go 4 and available to consumer drone users or not.  There is reference to enterprise customers.
2017-10-31
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-31 14:35
I don't understand why any client would care.  Say DJI knows that a drone was flying at x,y coordinates at such-and-such time.  So what?  Unless they are worried that imagery is secretly being transferred as well?

It seems to me it's the pilot that's getting the shaft, not the client.

This client wants to leave nothing to question.  We (the pilot(s)) will be fine.  We just won't use DJI hardware with this client or any DoD client (and probably others).
2017-10-31
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it is more about the imagery being collected and probably one of the main reason US military decided to ground with the removal of batteries(location) and memory cards all DJI drones.
2017-10-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-10-31 14:44
The news release indicates this applies to the DJI Pilot Application.  I am not familiar with this application.  Is it different than the DJI GO 4 Application?  I can't tell from the article if this feature will be added to DJI Go 4 and available to consumer drone users or not.  There is reference to enterprise customers.

Not sure about that, but you might be right indeed.
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Dewey3 Posted at 2017-10-31 02:27
Do you mean like Equifax ensures the high confidentiality of consumers personal credit records.... no thanks.

We have our way of dealing and protecting our server. Please don't take other samples as references. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2017-11-1
Use props
Time2Party
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169314 ft
Belgium

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-10-31 03:02
Or, just don’t sync records and use airplane mode.... it’s really that simple....

Like you say it simple, I always fly with no simcard so data is off and turn the phone in airplane mode.
No problem to fly and no data is going to DJI, also don’t sync.
2017-11-1
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-10-31 15:53
This client wants to leave nothing to question.  We (the pilot(s)) will be fine.  We just won't use DJI hardware with this client or any DoD client (and probably others).

Curious
What other equipment will you use in place of DJI to cover these other clients?
Just like to know, no other reason...
2017-11-3
Use props
Disenchanted on
lvl.1

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-1 01:25
We have our way of dealing and protecting our server. Please don't take other samples as references. Thank you for your kind understanding.

maybe DJI could use that "WAY OF DEALING WITH THEIR SERVERS" to fix the activation problems.
2017-11-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Disenchanted on Posted at 2017-11-4 03:08
maybe DJI could use that "WAY OF DEALING WITH THEIR SERVERS" to fix the activation problems.

Please provide me with the specific problem that you encountered so I can help, thank you.
2017-11-8
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-11-3 17:18
Curious

Not sure (since I haven't had to deal with it directly myself), but 3DR was mentioned.  Basically any UAV US-based manufacturer.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't a slam against DJI, just a heads-ups about the concerns some of our clients have regarding housing of DJI-derived data.
2017-11-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-11-8 08:43
Not sure (since I haven't had to deal with it directly myself), but 3DR was mentioned.  Basically any UAV US-based manufacturer.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't a slam against DJI, just a heads-ups about the concerns some of our clients have regarding housing of DJI-derived data.

Dji now have new app dji pilot although it’s still in beta you can absolutely fully protects all your data.
2017-11-8
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-8 09:07
Dji now have new app dji pilot although it’s still in beta you can absolutely fully protects all your data.

The other thing I thought of:  Start the flight using DJI GO, then continue the flight with other software. Much of what we do requires precise, surveying-type software.  Unfortunately, I wasn't part of the negotiations with this client, so I'm not sure if this was brought up or not.
2017-11-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-11-8 08:43

Interesting...thanks for the reply
I think the pathway to a solution here is not going to be simple.  The primary issue is China not DJI, basically because DJI is China owned, operated, and built.  China has not exactly been shy about stealing whatever they can get their hands on electronically or otherwise.  In other words the stigma may be too great to overcome just with a fresh coat of paint and the claims of a new app or an app overhaul.  DJI may, if they really want to maintain their market share, have to either partner with a US manufacturer or establish a dedicated US manufacturing facility to try and alieve the fears many will have on this subject.
2017-11-8
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-11-8 09:35
Interesting...thanks for the reply
I think the pathway to a solution here is not going to be simple.  The primary issue is China not DJI, basically because DJI is China owned, operated, and built.  China has not exactly been shy about stealing whatever they can get their hands on electronically or otherwise.  In other words the stigma may be too great to overcome just with a fresh coat of paint and the claims of a new app or an app overhaul.  DJI may, if they really want to maintain their market share, have to either partner with a US manufacturer or establish a dedicated US manufacturing facility to try and alieve the fears many will have on this subject.

Excellent points. I agree!
2017-11-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-11-8 09:38
Excellent points. I agree!

I should have added that I sincerely doubt DJI will do any of that, at least anytime soon.  They already went down that road once, sort of, but then pulled back and pretty much shut it down except for some corporate reps, tech support, and repair/depot facility.  DJI owner will keep his cards close and well controlled, at least until if and when their market share starts to slip or show signs of serious weakening.
2017-11-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-11-3 17:18
Curious

Dji go pilot app is available now in beta, 100% data privacy so there should be no problem.
2017-11-8
Use props
Disenchanted on
lvl.1

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-8 01:40
Please provide me with the specific problem that you encountered so I can help, thank you.

Thank You for the effort THOR; I'll tell you what wrong, but don't waste your or my time.D J I SUCKS. I bought a new mavic that will not work. and now that I found out how many problems I'm going to have ,if it ever did function. I don't want it to. The promotional vidio's DON'T mention anything about having to jump through hoops to get the P O S working , or having to give all your private data to D J I before you hand over your money. I hope D J I BURNS IN HELL. THANKS anyway.  
2017-11-22
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-27 13:36
They're trying to fix this now, where you can supposedly block any info you don't want them to have access to.

How is that possible? just a question not starting any trouble.
2017-11-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Disenchanted on Posted at 2017-11-22 16:24
Thank You for the effort THOR; I'll tell you what wrong, but don't waste your or my time.D J I SUCKS. I bought a new mavic that will not work. and now that I found out how many problems I'm going to have ,if it ever did function. I don't want it to. The promotional vidio's DON'T mention anything about having to jump through hoops to get the P O S working , or having to give all your private data to D J I before you hand over your money. I hope D J I BURNS IN HELL. THANKS anyway.

We are trying to figure the problems that our users have. If you don't provide me with your issue, we are not able to locate the problem and get it resolved. For other users who have posted their problem, we will do our best to help. And for the drone itself, read the manual or tutorial would make it easier to understand and control it. If it doesn't seem normal, we also hope you will report to us.
For the flight data, if you don't send it to the server, we will have no access to get them. But for the data on the server, we will strictly follow the policy and protect it properly.
We hope your kindly understanding.
2017-11-29
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

@Disenchanted on
There are thousands of people and companies using DJI equipment and are satisfied. Except for delivery delay of the Mavic personally I have hardly any problems with the gear or DJI.
2017-11-29
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

double post
2017-11-29
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

UPDATE: The company I work for (55k employees worldwide) will no longer be purchasing DJI hardware due to known/published DJI data-gathering policies. Many of our clients are US or local government and WILL NOT allow DJI hardware to be used in association with their projects. Just a note to those commercial UAV pilots to be aware.
2018-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules