First Crash (a gentle one)
1414 14 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
petersilver
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well I've had my Inspire 1 for about 2 weeks and today had my first crash. A low down shot across some flowers, I was looking at the screen whilst going backwards very slowly when it hit a low branch of a tree. fell down about two feet. Props are ok but one of the rear spars is damaged as you can see from the picture. Is this repairable without having to send it to DJI? Quad still flies (had a quick test) but the shaft vibrates a bit.

Can't see how to upload pictures here, so here is a link: http://www.psilver.com/inspire.html

2015-4-9
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Hey Peter,

Sorry to hear about your incident
From posts made by others, I'd say that's a return to DJI job.
The cf parts are DJI only right now.
2015-4-9
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Now THIS is a thread you should feel comfortable on friend, glad you took my advice -

Sorry about the dent Pete, I would epoxy or tape it if you don't wanna lose it for 2 months -

Bob
2015-4-9
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not bad, fortunately, it happens, I tend to watch the Inspire once I set the angle of view and let the camera do its thing. If I want to make a change I go into a hover and make my adjustments and then on with the flight keeping my eyes on the Inspire.
I would go for Bob's suggestion with the epoxy. I would put some vaseline at the joints of the two connecting parts so that they do not become a permanent attachment and then when the parts free up replace the arm. If you fly to much the way it is the vibration will probably extend the crack. The epoxy should cure that? Good luck and happy flying.
2015-4-9
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-9 23:01
Now THIS is a thread you should feel comfortable on friend, glad you took my advice -

Still taking cheap shots heh Bob!
As I said in your other thread, attack me all you like matey it doesn't change a thing.
Meanwhile back to the OP's issue.

Anyone had luck with a diy epoxy solution for fractured cf on the I1?
2015-4-9
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

This part seems to brake alot (easy) !!!

I would defenitily try to repair the broken part rather then ship it to DJI ... If you think you have the "know how" to do a solid repair that will hold together that is!

Good luck!
2015-4-9
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

I find it amazing that the CF seems so brittle and easy to break on these quads
2015-4-9
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Only 2FT!! and this is the result.
2015-4-9
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

I know personally, I would not want to be without my bird for an extended period of time. As a devil's advocate you fix it and in the future you have another accident occurs due to some failure on DJI's part. Will they void your warranty and claim this accident and repair was not carried out by them so they place all of the fiancial burden on yourself?
2015-4-9
Use props
petersilver
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJeff1 Posted at 2015-4-10 01:30
I know personally, I would not want to be without my bird for an extended period of time. As a devil ...

That is what I was thinking, It will probably void the warranty. I have sent a message to DJI support in Germany and also to the dealer I bought it from. But I don't really want to send it all the way to Germany from England.
Thanks to all for the replies.
2015-4-9
Use props
petersilver
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-4-10 01:18
Only 2FT!! and this is the result.

OK, I may have slightly underestimated, it was more like 4 foot. Still not far to fall though - and it was on grass.
2015-4-9
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I think its safe to say that is NOT carbon fiber, none of them are, I've seen too many photographs of broken arms like that, CF is supposed to be a lot stronger than that.  The plastic holding it is what should break.  I'm not sure what kind of material that is but I'm almost certain DJI is lying about that being CF.
2015-4-9
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

CF has good tinsel strength, but doesn't take shock well. The impact of a fall from that height would create some serious shock loads. On the other side of things, at least the camera is ok.
2015-4-9
Use props
hilton571
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10220 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guys try this one, it took me a month to receive my pre-ordered Inspire 1 copter and a 10 second flight to have to ship it out for repair that took another month before its return. My damage occurred on lift off on my first flight which went out of control and the camera/gimbal hit a concrete curb damaging the camera. Dji covered the damage by replacing the camera under the warranty, my only cost was the shipping charge. I was able to use my Phantom 2 vision + during the wait.
2015-4-9
Use props
petersilver
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Further to my post a while ago. After reading the advice on this forum and rather than do something which will invalidate my warranty I decided I would try out binding the arm with cable ties. Looks a bit messy but still experimenting. After a test flight I added a couple more (four in all). I'll try again when the batteries have charged.

http://www.psilver.com/inspire.html
2015-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules