Indoor flying
930 11 2017-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jan VDS
New
Thailand

Hello,

I would like to know whether Mavic would be able to fly inside a warehouse?
I have read about a few drones on the market that are suitable for inventory purposes.
But I would like to give my Mavic Pro a try first.
I would like to fly in between 2 rows of metal racking, filled with pallets.
The distance between the racks is 3 meters.
Do you all think it would be possible to fly in these conditions?
Any tips before I take off?

Thanks!
2017-10-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Jan, Mavic can fly indoor, but you have to be careful to aviod crash. Please fly in the place which can support VPS works. Please read the manual below.
indoor.PNG
2017-10-28
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51106 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-28 01:32
Jan, Mavic can fly indoor. Please fly in the place which can support VPS works. Please read the manual below.

Des that mean that it doesn't work in P mode?
2017-10-28
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

tiredtim Posted at 2017-10-28 01:50
Des that mean that it doesn't work in P mode?

It must be in P-Mode to work, if you are flying over stuff like polished concrete you will have a hard time, it will be more like Atti, If you have a colored floor ( like a white tile with no pattern ) it will have a hard time, you need flooring that has a distinctive pattern, the more pattern ( Like a Black & White Checker board ) the better the downward VPS works.
2017-10-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Anyway, flying indoor may have a weak GPS signal or even no GPS signal. Therefore, I would recommend users fly in outdoor places and the flight performance will be better.
2017-10-28
Use props
Jan VDS
New
Thailand

Thanks for the fast response guys! The floor is polished concrete I am afraid.
So I guess that P-mode will not be working then?
Better don't risk the flight and look for alternative drones I assume?
Any other DJI models that you could recommend? I have seen a clip where Matrice is tested in a warehouse, any other models that you guys recommend?
2017-10-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I flew my Mavic several times indoor - be extremely careful for any draft as without GPS coverage Mavic is drifting to the wind and You should manually counter! Also set in case of signal lost to hover instead of RTH! And be very close and maintain visual contact in order to avoid collisions as camera field is very narrow!
Wish You good luck
P.S.
I'll put some clips from some of my flights might be useful (as in some cases drift is clearly visible)

2017-10-28
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I saw one other scary thing.  A fellow was flying indoors and attempted to fly through an open window.  The vision system suddenly saw the window sill close underneath and that caused the drone to suddenly fly upwards and away from that sill.  Of course, the quad then hit the top of the window frame and crashed.  That said, I have about 20 miles of flying on my Mavic.  I decided to try flying in my house on ATTI mode and promptly crashed into a wall.  Not worth trying to become a good indoor pilot for me.
2017-10-28
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never had any luck with flying indoors.
2017-10-28
Use props
MavicIsMe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45072 ft
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-10-28 03:31
I flew my Mavic several times indoor - be extremely careful for any draft as without GPS coverage Mavic is drifting to the wind and You should manually counter! Also set in case of signal lost to hover instead of RTH! And be very close and maintain visual contact in order to avoid collisions as camera field is very narrow!
Wish You good luck
P.S.

This was a great video, and some real fancy flying.  Early on, I noticed a rock climber on one wall at about the same height as your quad.  That would have worried me - losing control and perhaps hitting that guy with a prop . . .
2017-10-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

MavicIsMe Posted at 2017-10-28 10:33
This was a great video, and some real fancy flying.  Early on, I noticed a rock climber on one wall at about the same height as your quad.  That would have worried me - losing control and perhaps hitting that guy with a prop . . .

Camera of Mavic is a pretty good layer about distances closest to climber was 5-10 meters. That's why I say You need to be I eye contact all the time and see for yourself.
But of course, indoor (as also author ) flying bring risks!
In cave, I was scared to fly and walk it thru without the drone, but when realize this was a quiet day with no much visitors I took my chances to lose my Mavic (especially when exiting thru the opening when he got GPS for the first time, and I got scared of losing signal - but i've got lucky )
2017-10-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-10-28 10:01
I saw one other scary thing.  A fellow was flying indoors and attempted to fly through an open window.  The vision system suddenly saw the window sill close underneath and that caused the drone to suddenly fly upwards and away from that sill.  Of course, the quad then hit the top of the window frame and crashed.  That said, I have about 20 miles of flying on my Mavic.  I decided to try flying in my house on ATTI mode and promptly crashed into a wall.  Not worth trying to become a good indoor pilot for me.

I always fly sensors off and landing protection off - thou someone told me that with landing protection Mavic will be more stable without GPS, but I never tried it!
2017-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules