Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sudden issues with corrupt video files.
988 12 2017-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

I've noticed my last couple of flights I seem to be getting corrupted video files, with some files unviewable and some crashing my Vegas 13 pro editing app.
I did a shoot a couple of days ago, and some files were unplayable. I ran the djifix.exe program on them and it made them better, but there are still frame drops etc in the files.

I was wondering if it was my microsd card, I recently switched from a Sandisk Extreme 32GB to a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB.  I did a test flight and shot a bunch of video clips, first on my Sandisk Extreme Pro then some on a Sandisk Ultra I had for my Gopro.  All clips played fine. Then I did some clips last night in low light, and most of those are barely viewable, with frame drops etc.  The only thing different I did this time was take a bunch of jpeg stills during the flight - the flight where I had other bad files I had also taken a bunch of stills as well as video.  I am wondering if this has something to do with it, but I've always mixed stills and videos before and I don't see how it could cause issues.

Very frustrating, I have some shoots coming up and want to make sure I get some usable footage.  I am not sure what is causing this, but I hope it can be rectified. Is there a reset for the camera that can be done?

2017-10-29
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha CC,

Have any of your Micro SD cards worked properly?  Have any of your Micro SD cards worked properly while shooting stills as you did previously?  Are you waiting until the jpeg is saved before taking the next jpeg?  Are you shooting video while you take the jpegs?  Each of these questions involve different demands.  Each Micro SD card, it looks like you are using three inthese tests, has advantagess and disadvantages.  

Create a table so you can record the results of your tests, then run through the tests as noted by the questions.  Once you have answered each question with one Micro SD card, replace the card with the next card.  When you have done all three, you should have an idea of what is going on.

Be sure to write down the specs on each card so you know which card is most capable and keep that in mind for future purchases.  The names of the cards can be confusing (is an Ultra better than an Extreme?) so go by the ratings like C10 and U1 or U3 rather than by the names.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

And test the write speed on that new SD card to make sure it's not counterfeit or otherwise substandard.
2017-10-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Don't use the Sandisk Ultra, it is barely fast enough for the job, the fact that it works in a GoPro is no indication it will work in a Phantom. Use the Sandisk Extreme Pro while you are sorting this out, it is the fastest of your cards. And make sure you format it in the aircraft first, just to eliminate any other issues.

Just for the record, the files recorded in MPEG cannot drop frames, if there is anything wrong with the recording, the file stops, it does not drop frames. Any appearance of frame dropping will be due to Vegas, and version 13 is getting a bit long in the tooth for 4K anyway.

Try downloading a copy of VLCPLayer and see if it plays the files.
2017-10-29
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

I just used the Ultra because I could not find the Extreme I was using before I bought the Extreme Pro. That being said the 4K video clips I recorded with the ultra all turned out ok.  I also have a Lexar 633x card I can use.  

I have been using the Extreme Pro for a couple of months now, with no issues at all.  It was just my last outing I noticed the bad files - however when I tried it again yesterday without shooting any stills it seemed fine.  I never shoot jpegs while shooting video, always take a few stills, wait till they are done, then go back to video.  

I've got VLC  player, and for some reason I've had better luck with Windows 10 native player than VLC - which I find strange since my PC has plenty of horsepower with a i7 six core chip and an RX 480 8GB graphics card.  But these few MP4 files straight off the Phantom won't play smoothly in any player, some won't play at all, and some play a few seconds then freeze.  Other than the short test I did yesterday as mentioned in the OP that is - those all play ok.

Tomorrow I will try another shoot with both jpegs and mp4, with the Extreme Pro card and the Lexar and see what happens.
2017-10-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-10-29 16:37
I just used the Ultra because I could not find the Extreme I was using before I bought the Extreme Pro. That being said the 4K video clips I recorded with the ultra all turned out ok.  I also have a Lexar 633x card I can use.  

I have been using the Extreme Pro for a couple of months now, with no issues at all.  It was just my last outing I noticed the bad files - however when I tried it again yesterday without shooting any stills it seemed fine.  I never shoot jpegs while shooting video, always take a few stills, wait till they are done, then go back to video.  

My computer has a 6 core i7 processor and also an RX480, and it handles anything. But one thing occurred to me, are you playing back from the SD card? If so, that could be the problem. First copy the files to an SSD and play them off that. The bottleneck can be the SD card port having a relatively slow response. Also, find another use for the Lexar 633 card, they often cause problems in the Phantoms.

2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

cameracollector Posted at 2017-10-29 16:37

Did you keep the original SD card? It will be helpful to verify the issue. Please keep us updated of the latest progress.
2017-10-29
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-29 18:59
My computer has a 6 core i7 processor and also an RX480, and it handles anything. But one thing occurred to me, are you playing back from the SD card? If so, that could be the problem. First copy the files to an SSD and play them off that. The bottleneck can be the SD card port having a relatively slow response. Also, find another use for the Lexar 633 card, they often cause problems in the Phantoms.

No, I copy to hard drive first - I have a 500GB SSD, a 1TB HDD and 2TB HDD - both HDD's are 7200 RPM, one a Toshibal 1TB that came with the PC, the other a WD Black I had from before.

I'm not sure why this PC is having issues sometimes with 4K video - usually plays it ok with native player but for some reason VLC has issues with it.
2017-10-30
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-29 19:23
Did you keep the original SD card? It will be helpful to verify the issue. Please keep us updated of the latest progress.

Do you mean the original SD card that came with the Phantom?  - I don't even recall if it came with one, but if it did I should still have it.
Also have another Extreme Pro card arriving today as well.
2017-10-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

cameracollector Posted at 2017-10-30 08:32
Do you mean the original SD card that came with the Phantom?  - I don't even recall if it came with one, but if it did I should still have it.
Also have another Extreme Pro card arriving today as well.

Yeah, it is the one I referred. The original SD card has been fully tested and stability can be ensured. Feel free to contact us if you have more questions.
2017-10-31
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-31 00:07
Yeah, it is the one I referred. The original SD card has been fully tested and stability can be ensured. Feel free to contact us if you have more questions.

what is the standard card that came with it? I will look and see which one it is.
I did manage to fly two batteries yesterday - one with the new Sandisk Extreme Pro I just got and another with the SEP I had before - I took nothing but video files and they all played back fine, no corruption issues.  If the weather gets better I will try a flight today and alternate taking stills with video and see what happens.
2017-10-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-10-31 15:03
what is the standard card that came with it? I will look and see which one it is.

DJI use a number of cards, but usually they are only 16GB in size. Possible a Panasonic or Toshiba.
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

cameracollector Posted at 2017-10-31 15:03
I did manage to fly two batteries yesterday - one with the new Sandisk Extreme Pro I just got and another with the SEP I had before - I took nothing but video files and they all played back fine, no corruption issues.  If the weather gets better I will try a flight today and alternate taking stills with video and see what happens.

Thanks for getting back to us. Yes, the original SD card comes with 16GB. Good luck!
2017-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules