Drone Crashes
2032 26 2017-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans18dd5b5a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66988 ft
United States

My Phantom 3 Std hovering when it just fell out of the sky. I was about 150 feet in the air. It was still daylight, getting dark. I decided taking the drone up for one full battery when it started to turn uncontrollably over a hundred feet in the air. Where it crashed was deep in the woods, probably never to be found. It got to dark, so i decided to resume my search in the morning. NO GPS, only line of sight was my only hope finding the crashed drone. Here's my story:
2017-10-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Looks (and sounds) like a broken or thrown prop was the cause.  When you picked it up off the ground, was there anything remaining of that missing prop?
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to read the crash. Have you contacted the Support Team to report the accident: http://www.dji.com/support? If the drone is in warranty period, I would recommend to do data analysis to check the exact status.
2017-10-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Based on what  you described and the appearance of the area, I would say either a bird strike or accidental contact with a tree branch.  Looks like visual on the drone would have been tough to maintain through all the trees.  All Phantom 3 series have self tightening props.  It would be extremely unusual for a prop to come off, unless it was damaged prior to flight, like the threads were messed up, or the black dot props were installed on the silver dot motors.  That would be hard to do, but possible, I suppose.  Can you upload the flight logs?  That would maybe give us some clues as to what went wrong.

2017-10-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-29 18:34
Looks (and sounds) like a broken or thrown prop was the cause.  When you picked it up off the ground, was there anything remaining of that missing prop?

Yeah, particularly if there is no trace of the fourth prop.
2017-10-29
Use props
fans18dd5b5a
lvl.1
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-10-29 18:51
Based on what  you described and the appearance of the area, I would say either a bird strike or accidental contact with a tree branch.  Looks like visual on the drone would have been tough to maintain through all the trees.  All Phantom 3 series have self tightening props.  It would be extremely unusual for a prop to come off, unless it was damaged prior to flight, like the threads were messed up, or the black dot props were installed on the silver dot motors.  That would be hard to do, but possible, I suppose.  Can you upload the flight logs?  That would maybe give us some clues as to what went wrong.

I didnt think about a possible bird strike. I was above the trees, as my line of sight was clear of trees so I doubt it was contact with tree limbs.
2017-10-29
Use props
fans18dd5b5a
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-29 18:49
I'm sorry to read the crash. Have you contacted the Support Team to report the accident: http://www.dji.com/support? If the drone is in warranty period, I would recommend to do data analysis to check the exact status.

I've reached out to marketing...sending my video and comments.
2017-10-29
Use props
fans18dd5b5a
lvl.1
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-29 18:34

Prop was broken.
2017-10-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

fans18dd5b5a Posted at 2017-10-29 19:00

I don't know if marketing is going to want the video.  Videos like this generally do not increase sales.

But upload your flight log to phantomhelp and post the link here so we can see what might have happened.
2017-10-29
Use props
SpanishDrone
lvl.1
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-29 19:06
I don't know if marketing is going to want the video.  Videos like this generally do not increase sales.

But upload your flight log to phantomhelp and post the link here so we can see what might have happened.

How do you upload your flight log?
2017-10-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

SpanishDrone Posted at 2017-10-29 19:09
How do you upload your flight log?

Here's one way:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-10-29
Use props
SpanishDrone
lvl.1
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-29 19:11
Here's one way:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

What happens after you upload flight data?
2017-10-29
Use props
jcaerialstudio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171040 ft
United States

oh no.............crash happened to me few days ago, hope you find it!!
2017-10-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jcaerialstudio Posted at 2017-10-29 19:55
oh no.............crash happened to me few days ago, hope you find it!!

If you watch the video, he has already found it.
2017-10-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

SpanishDrone Posted at 2017-10-29 19:52
What happens after you upload flight data?

Public ridicule, usually.  But sometimes you get a free replacement from DJI depending on the circumstances.  Usually the pilot starts out asking what happened and isn't sure, but after 8 days or so he's changed his tune and is now convinced that it's DJI's fault despite all evidence to the contrary.  It's pretty fun.

Phantomhelp will give you a special link and you can post the link here.  Have you had a crash or something?  I don't see any posts from you mentioning any problems.
2017-10-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-29 21:06
Public ridicule, usually.  But sometimes you get a free replacement from DJI depending on the circumstances.  Usually the pilot starts out asking what happened and isn't sure, but after 8 days or so he's changed his tune and is now convinced that it's DJI's fault despite all evidence to the contrary.  It's pretty fun.

Phantomhelp will give you a special link and you can post the link here.  Have you had a crash or something?  I don't see any posts from you mentioning any problems.

LOL, Irate is pointing out, correctly, that most crashes are pilot error and the flight log displays this pretty accurately.  That being said, it can serve to educate everyone on the forum about things not to do.  Occasionally it is even an equipment failure and may be covered by DJI.  It is stilll worth uploading the log in any case.
2017-10-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

A broken prop would be quite normal after impact with the ground.  Was any piece of the prop still attached to the aircraft?  Did you find  the pieces close by?
2017-10-30
Use props
SpanishDrone
lvl.1
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-10-30 12:28
LOL, Irate is pointing out, correctly, that most crashes are pilot error and the flight log displays this pretty accurately.  That being said, it can serve to educate everyone on the forum about things not to do.  Occasionally it is even an equipment failure and may be covered by DJI.  It is stilll worth uploading the log in any case.

I've upload the log. Still waiting to hear a response. DO you know if and when that might happen?
2017-10-30
Use props
SpanishDrone
lvl.1
United States

I posted my video of my efforts to find the drone and what happened just before the drone crashed.
2017-10-30
Use props
SpanishDrone
lvl.1
United States

I posted my video of my efforts to find the drone and what happened just before the drone crashed.
2017-10-30
Use props
SpanishDrone
lvl.1
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-10-30 12:30
A broken prop would be quite normal after impact with the ground.  Was any piece of the prop still attached to the aircraft?  Did you find  the pieces close by?

I couldn't find the missing prop.
2017-10-30
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

About how far above the actual tree tops were you flying when this happened?
2017-10-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans18dd5b5a Posted at 2017-10-29 19:00

I believe that the Support will help you in this case. Please kindly offer the case number once you got it, I'll keep follow up for you.
2017-10-30
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

bummer. my worst nightmare
2017-10-31
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Ryan's Sparky Posted at 2017-10-31 09:11
bummer. my worst nightmare

If it happens to you, at least you'll have a good excuse to buy a real drone!
2017-10-31
Use props
SpanishDrone
lvl.1
United States

Michgolden Posted at 2017-10-30 19:11
About how far above the actual tree tops were you flying when this happened?

hard to tell.  Trees are abut 70 feet talk, drone was 100 plus feet in the air.
2017-11-1
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387126 ft
United States

SpanishDrone Posted at 2017-11-1 17:25
hard to tell.  Trees are abut 70 feet talk, drone was 100 plus feet in the air.

Lets see getting dark....and i can't believe that you wanted to risk the drone   airborne for another 20 minutes...way way too many trees around too from the look of the area where you located it ..hope that you get help if it was a  malfunction of the electronics in the drone....Good Luck*
2017-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules