Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is not having an internet connection okay?
448 3 2017-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djlee0314
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16339 ft
United States

Hello all,
I recently received my Spark and have already done a few successful flights but had a question regarding if an internet connection is advised. I've flown with both a Samsung S7 Edge and an iPad Mini 2 but neither device has an active data connection (wi-fi only). My primary cell phone is a Samsung Note 8 but haven't tried flying with it since it's not technically supported and the S7 and iPad have worked well.

Are there any adverse affects with using a device that has no internet connect? The only things I can think of at the moment is that I can't recieve "maps" of the area I'm in and I don't believe my flights are being recorded in app (total time, distance flown, etc). For reference, I'm using just the devices I mentioned with and sometimes without the RC.

Would love to hear thoughts or get more information on why I should have an active internet connection when flying. Worst case, I could always use the hotspot on my Note 8. Thank you!
2017-10-30
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

You only need internet to activate, download new firmware and to get maps, all of these can be done at home or wherever you can get internet. You do NOT need to be connected to the internet to fly.
2017-10-30
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please download the map of the place you fly when the device is connected with Internet.
For IOS, you can enter the map interface and zoom in or out to cache the map. For Android system, please download the offline map. Thanks for supporting.  
2017-10-30
Use props
Todd in Chicago
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

I'm pretty sure that DJI's Crystal Sky device does not connect to the internet (maybe through wifi), but don't believe it uses a wireless carrier.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2017-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules