How many of you are using prop guards?
1234Next >
15022 131 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
torinodave
lvl.1

United States

Well, today in fact, I lost view of my phantom for a few seconds and flew into some trees. The guards helped bounce the Phantom off the branches and keep her in the air.  This allowed me to slowly fly out of the patch safely. No prop guard would have been disastrous. Funny that I even considered removing them today. It maybe a "newbish" thing to do, but the safety outweighs the juvenile insults anyday.  
2016-3-3
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

I always used prop guards. It saved my P3A from several close-calls and saved my hand more than a few times.
2016-3-3
Use props
PaulNicholson
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I brought them but never used them. My flight paths are pretty clear so not had the need to think about them. But they are there for when i might need them.
2016-3-4
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

I have the snap on ones as well.
I use them all the time. Only flew one time without them.
2016-3-4
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

I have snap ons and I will put them on if needed which I have not used in a while.
2016-3-4
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Just bought them, a snap on model. Because of weather I haven’t tested them yet.
2016-3-4
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

On a daily basis no but if I film indoors or in a forest/tight space I will put them on.
2016-3-4
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

I purchased the originals but never used because:
1) I'm afraid the shell will crack
2) The guards appear a lot in the film/photo
2016-3-5
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

No need. The p3 is so stable and I am an experienced flyer in all orientations and upside down ;) ha ha
2016-3-7
Use props
mstephen12
lvl.1

I had a big issue with prop guards; I bought the summitlink snap-on guards (orange black ones) and installed them.  The first thing I noticed was that when I was hovering the drone kept drifting quite a bit even though I was in full P-GPS mode (the wind that day was maybe 10mph?).  The summitlink guards are so thick the wind was just dragging my drone even thought it wasnt even a stiff wind; so that by itself really unsettled me as a stable hover is important to me.  The bigger issue though was when I was flying; I like to fly fast and would do sudden stops and with no guards the drone performs this really well; with the guards  on this became very dangerous, the problem was when you stop suddenly the drone rears back and acts like an air brake, with the guards on the drone would rear back MUCH further and almost flip over.  This was with no wind at all, if I tried that with any wind  at all it would almost surely flip over.  Needless to say the guards are gone and I am trying to find a better solution, if anyone knows of a set of guards that are very thin and very lightweight let me know pls as I would like to have a guard on my props but with the hazards introduced by using the summitlink ones.
2016-3-7
Use props
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

A few of the answers on here have got me thinking.

I bought and use the official screw on ones which look good and are a nice product. However the failing is I have the large Pelican case for all my equipment and have to remove the guards to put it in.... I end up not doing this unless I am traveling a long way to fly as it will fatigue the items and motors and also the time and effort is a pain.

I looked at the clip on ones but they seem to broaden the arms also so that will require some modification of the foam as well which is doable but I would need to really spend some time to ensure it looks a nice neat factory cut as I can't stand things looking scrappy.

As for flying I have not had them save any crashes but it could be the next flight that it tips on landing and takes out a prop or worse so I really don't want to fly with out them. As for degraded performance I don't have enough flight time to comment but I am getting a lot of warnings that the motor output has been reduced to save the battery. I never got this without the guards on but that might just be a coincidence? It mainly does this when I start really climbing and accelerating hard. Normal soft flight its fine. I am sure the battery temps are ok so it just a bit of a bug bear at the moment for me.

They do appear in the videos quite easy if doing high speed videoing which is a little annoying but as I am only shooting for fun and not commercially so its not a big concern and sometimes I like it as it reminds me what a cool bit of kit I have when watching the videos back.

They will stay on for now but I recon long term ill be looking to upgrade to some clip on ones and test it a bit more with and without them on.

2016-3-14
Use props
cdugger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 945 ft
United States

I used them all the time.  First, I put the red ones on the front which helps me with the orientation when it's out.  I'm not troubled with an occasional intrusion into the video, and finally, I guess you don't know when you are going to need them until you do and at that point it's a little late.

Chris
2016-3-14
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

I only use it flying inside never outside.
2016-3-14
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

Use the guards when shooting family vids.
2016-3-22
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

I use the removable kind for all the reasons I can't think of.

Since I'm not a spoiled rich kid on daddy's vacation property, I can't afford crashes or risky stunts.  Oh, and I don't feel the need to play fearless macho man.

I have done some testing with and without prop guards.  I measured the time it took to get to the same percentage of battery left while performing the same out and back maneuver.  As best I could tell, I got about 15 seconds less time with them on.  However, I did not notice any change in so called 'performance'.  The P3P appeared to move just as fast, stop just as easily and was as stable in the wind.  Without intentionally trying, I noticed no vortex issues.

$0.02

2016-3-23
Use props
Sajid Shah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

Prop Guard are Safety and Peace of mind .. cause  in any mishap drone can Injured peoples KIDS and Birds and also Damage
2016-3-23
Use props
SpecialProjects
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft

I have removable guards. Use them sometimes.
2016-3-27
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I use them when I am going to do close quarters flying like I did about a week ago looking for another lost drone and inspecting tree tops very close up!
2016-3-27
Use props
water0106
Banned

Singapore

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-28
Use props
crschol7
lvl.1

United States

took mine off... will not fit in case with brackets attached...
2016-3-28
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9583182 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use quick disconnect prop guards on my P3P but not on my P4 . I just got so used to them being on the P3P I left them on.  LOL
2016-3-28
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Jbundy63 Posted at 2016-3-28 17:02
I use quick disconnect prop guards on my P3P but not on my P4 . I just got so used to them being on  ...

Prop guards are like wearing a bullet proof vest,  until someone shoots you in the head.  It is better to fly safe then live with the illusion your drone will be protected by prob guards (that will only reduce flight time, increase weight and create turbulence)  
2016-3-28
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-28
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9583182 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-29 09:46
Prop guards are like wearing a bullet proof vest,  until someone shoots you in the head.  It is bet ...

Answered the OP question! Not for someone to tell me I'm illusional and tell me some kind of BS scenario that has nothing to do with prop guards!
2016-3-29
Use props
BrAinZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1362096 ft
United Kingdom

I have only just got my P3S so haven't used any prop guards yet, but was considering buying some.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which of the removable types are worth buying in among all the cheap Chinese ebay plastic types?
2016-3-29
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

They really don't help much

2016-3-30
Use props
craneop4christ
New

United States

I use the snap one ones
2016-3-30
Use props
richemail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984843 ft
United States

I purchased my P3 Advanced last fall. I put the guards on as well as the string. My first craft so I wanted to be careful with it and my surroundings. I also found a case that accommodates the guards so I don't have to remove them. HPRC cases makes it and it's a really good case (and backpack)
HPRC Phantom 3 advanced with guards case
2016-4-1
Use props
oscrfsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79154 ft
United States

20 bucks for my quick release props..well worth the peace of mind knowing my 1200 bucks isnt going to hit anything
2016-4-4
Use props
vikings1981
New

United States

I use the quick connects so I can just put them on when flying around lots of trees and windy days. Never know when the Phantom will tip over on landing in the wind.
2016-4-6
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

does anyone use the string that comes with them , I fly with snap on less the string worried if it came lose and tangled in a prop .
2016-4-28
Use props
dmartin.ealnet
lvl.2
United States

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-4-28 13:46
does anyone use the string that comes with them , I fly with snap on less the string worried if it c ...

I have snap on prop guards which I use some of the time.  I have not used the string...it seems awfully cumbersome to attach the string, and I'm afraid it would end up tangling in a rotor.  However, if I had used the string it might have saved me from the collision with that tree that was out of control.  I am thinking about trying a thin, stiff wire that would be easier to take on and off with the guards.  If I ever try it, I will report.
2016-4-28
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

how about dynamite wire 18 gauge copper second thought will it enhance signal or mess up compass ?
2016-4-28
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

You should add "sometimes" to the survey ;)
I used mine the first week, and still do if I fly indoors (rarely).
Flying outside, I find that they really get into camera view, unless you are filming significantly down. Definitely any time you are moving, and then decelerate rapidly.
I have heard of people being somewhat saved during crashes, by the guards taking the beating, but then again, they do add weight, affect lift to a degree, and if become lose or get bent, can actually cause an accident.. Honestly not sure what is the better solution - with or without.
I think i may make up my mind more as I fly more... In general I never your guards much on any aircraft previously, but this being the most expensive and quite heavy, I am trying to figure it out a bit better.
Now, that wrote my opinion, let me read what others said, and let's see if I can learn something!
Thx for making this thread!
GT
2016-4-28
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Swerve Posted at 2015-4-9 17:17
Never used them mainly due to the fear that they may induce VRS (Vortex Ring State) from which a Pha ...

Actually you can recover... Be aware of it just in case - hope you never have to use it, but fly sideways if you experience it, then slowly slow descend. It is not guaranteed to work, but if you get out of the column of the turbulent air, you have a chance of recovery if you got altitude.
I do not know why sideways works better, and I did not see it on DJI, but on the smaller quads I always had better luck with moving sideways to recover, as opposed to forward/back..
2016-4-28
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

I have them but used them one time and took them off. Seemed to have slowed my birds reaction time.
2016-5-1
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

I used to use prop gaurds on my Phantom 3S. I don't anymore with my new P4.
2016-5-2
Use props
vze369t9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 491175 ft
United States

Indoors only
2016-5-2
Use props
rogercooper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6217 ft

Hi I used prop guards on my P3S No problems.  Different story on P4, they interfere with forward facing sensors and disable the functIon
2016-5-5
Use props
thomas.kolb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1098940 ft
Sweden

I used them in the beginning, but took them off after a few days:

1)  The act as sails, making the Phantom extremely sensitive for wind (I almost had a flew-away with them on)
2)  They tend to be visible in the footage (more so than the props)
3)  If you fly into a wall or pole, they might help on initial impact, but will not save the gimbal in the following tumble to the ground
4)  If you fly into a tree, the whole drone may get stuck in a branch high up, like an expensive Christmas ornament
5)  You will be able to avoid a tip-over at landing if you refrain from CSC to stop the motors

//Thomas
2016-5-12
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules