3123 47 2017-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Hello Pilots,

I found this at UNMANNED AERIAL (https://unmanned-aerial.com/catagory/drone-news), a new online newsletter :

"In its U.S. implementation, DJI pilots will be presented with a list of nine questions, and they must correctly answer all of them in order to be able to fly. Pilots can continue answering new questions until they successfully pass the quiz. It will initially be available in the U.S. in an update to the DJI GO 4 app at the end of October, but it will be expanded to other countries in the near future, using questions customized for each country’s rules and guidelines, says DJI."

I guess we will have to answer questions just to fly now. I see that if we bypass the update, it will just get snuck in with a critical update in the future.

What next ?

2017-10-31
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Couldn't open the page you posted the link to.
2017-10-31
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

https://unmanned-aerial.com/dji-requires-knowledge-quiz-first-time-drone-pilots
2017-10-31
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

They must have totally lost connection to the ground @DJI.
Hopefully when they try to force it to Danish rules one can do by entering License and Drone reg. No. but i must admit in my opinion they really try to get way to much influence in rules of other.
2017-10-31
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Same story from a closer source
2017-10-31
Use props
Waterfalls69
New

United States

Wouldn't a person be able to find the answers to said questions by simply searching the internet for them?
2017-10-31
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Waterfalls69 Posted at 2017-10-31 06:31
Wouldn't a person be able to find the answers to said questions by simply searching the internet for them?

Possibly yes, it's just to have the rules open at the same time.
But if it is written the same way as many thing in the manuals, one really have to think hard before answering.
2017-10-31
Use props
Waterfalls69
New

United States

Or if say its written by the same person who designed the DJI Go 4 app all newbies could be in trouble. Who designs an app that isn't compatible with an iPad Pro a tablet that has been out for about a year or longer? DJI does. I don't trust ANYTHING they say or do. Regret buying their product. Will DEFINITELY let friends know not to do the same mistake.
2017-10-31
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info; shouldn't be difficult. Once passed I hope a window doesn't keep popping that one needs to take the quiz.
2017-10-31
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-31 07:05
Thanks for the info; shouldn't be difficult. Once passed I hope a window doesn't keep popping that one needs to take the quiz.

If I read it correctly it said for new pilots.  I assumed that to mean that it was a test that had to be passed before your first flight.  I assume once passed it goes away.  The article didn't say that exactly but that is my interpretation.  At least that is what I hope.
2017-10-31
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-31 04:53
Couldn't open the page you posted the link to.

Didn't work for me either , KedDK 's link works.
2017-10-31
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
United States

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-10-31 07:18
If I read it correctly it said for new pilots.  I assumed that to mean that it was a test that had to be passed before your first flight.  I assume once passed it goes away.  The article didn't say that exactly but that is my interpretation.  At least that is what I hope.

That is my hope also, we'll know soon enough if anyone updates.
2017-10-31
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-31 07:27

I'll guess you will find out very soon.

"It will initially be available in the U.S. in an update to the DJI GO 4 app at the end of October"

Thanks for sharing btw. ;-)
2017-10-31
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-31 07:27

Unfortunately based on some of the posts on this site this might be a good thing.  I am amazed at the people that don't even bother to check into the rules regarding the use of their drone before they use them.  It just seems insane to me that you would put a object in the air above people and property and fly it to it's maximum altitude or distance to "test" them to see if it will fail.  Let's see if I can play Russian Roulette with my drone and other peoples lives and property because...well, I am testing..  (No offense to the Russians on this site for the analogy).  Extremely irresponsible, poor judgement and dangerous behavior that will result in more regulation by the Government in my opinion.

Perhaps this type of warning would help stop this type of behavior but I doubt it.  
2017-10-31
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-10-31 07:18

That interpretation works for me!
2017-10-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Their own success is in some way the one big threat to DJI's future.
With more and more drones in the air and the new usergroup that buys a drone as a 'fun' product, there will be more need for legislation.
Soon you won't be allowed to fly in a lot of places without a licence (that is my assumption).
I believe this update is an attempt to influence this process, although they will probably fail. (more and more strict rules will come)
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Waterfalls69 Posted at 2017-10-31 06:31

Sir, I have replied you in your post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-117999-1-1.html Please update in the original post, and I'll keep follow up for you. Thanks for cooperation.
2017-10-31
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Waterfalls69 Posted at 2017-10-31 06:47
Or if say its written by the same person who designed the DJI Go 4 app all newbies could be in trouble. Who designs an app that isn't compatible with an iPad Pro a tablet that has been out for about a year or longer? DJI does. I don't trust ANYTHING they say or do. Regret buying their product. Will DEFINITELY let friends know not to do the same mistake.

Aloha Waterfalls,

From what you say, you may not be flying after early November.  I am sure you will come around though.  The rewards are so much better.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-1
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Might I suggest to DJI that they consider an opt out for those of us who have taken the trouble to qualify. Perhaps by insertung the certificate numbers from the Part 107 or PfCO, or whatever in a particualr country. Such an option will also help to identify those who are professional pilots too.
2017-11-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-31 05:16
They must have totally lost connection to the ground @DJI.
Hopefully when they try to force it to Danish rules one can do by entering License and Drone reg. No. but i must admit in my opinion they really try to get way to much influence in rules of other.

In order to be able to accept the Danish Drone registration and "licence", DJI would need to have access to the trafikstyrelsen database, or receive from the Danish government a constantly updated list of valid registration numbers. I think it could be easily done (One can already access freely the partial data for car licence plate through Apps or websites -thinking  of Biltema, where one can input a licence plate number and see the model of car and some other info, when looking for compatible spare parts... The main problem, though, is that this doesn't mean that the person will automatically be a law abiding flyer.  With regard to this, DJI is promoting the "AeroScope" technology, where flight data from drones will be broadcast from the drone and received by special receivers located within range, and supposedly in the hands of the authorities...
2017-11-1
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Fwiw, I just installed GO 4 version 4.1.15 last night into an iPad Air 2 and the version is not showing a test yet  (Nov. 1 2017 is today's date.).  It must be in 4.1.16 maybe if it's coming.

Also, iOS was also updated to 11.1 too.

App 4.1.15
Aircraft (P4 Std.) .0106
RC 1.93
Flight Database 1.07
Basic App Fly Safe Database 1.05.
Precise App Fly Safe Database 1.07
2017-11-1
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-1 07:23
Fwiw, I just installed GO 4 version 4.1.15 last night into an iPad Air 2 and the version is not showing a test yet  (Nov. 1 2017 is today's date.).  It must be in 4.1.16 maybe if it's coming.

Also, iOS was also updated to 11.1 too.

Good to hear.
Maybe, or hope,  it is just for the newbies that come into the drone world of existence .
2017-11-2
Use props
jcaerialstudio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171040 ft
United States

Thank you for the headsup!
2017-11-2
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-11-1 06:56
In order to be able to accept the Danish Drone registration and "licence", DJI would need to have access to the trafikstyrelsen database, or receive from the Danish government a constantly updated list of valid registration numbers. I think it could be easily done (One can already access freely the partial data for car licence plate through Apps or websites -thinking  of Biltema, where one can input a licence plate number and see the model of car and some other info, when looking for compatible spare parts... The main problem, though, is that this doesn't mean that the person will automatically be a law abiding flyer.  With regard to this, DJI is promoting the "AeroScope" technology, where flight data from drones will be broadcast from the drone and received by special receivers located within range, and supposedly in the hands of the authorities...

The problem is, just like about car driving, it does not have to be the one the drone reg no. is registered to (and who's name/number is on the drone, is the one actually flying it.

As there is no ignition lock on the DJI drones, the mandatory login should at first login change to a local stored unlock code making it unable to fly or even relink without this code entered. This would make the drone unusable if stolen and solve the issues people have when by accident gets logged out where no internet connection is available.

I think btw. i read a post sounding like the "Quiz" has been implemented for US users by now.
2017-11-18
Use props
Peo
First Officer
Flight distance : 25409793 ft
Sweden

Its already her the Dji go 4 app 1.4.1.0
2017-11-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Impossible to fail, lol.  Won't let you go to the next question till you answer correctly.
2017-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-18 01:20
The problem is, just like about car driving, it does not have to be the one the drone reg no. is registered to (and who's name/number is on the drone, is the one actually flying it.

As there is no ignition lock on the DJI drones, the mandatory login should at first login change to a local stored unlock code making it unable to fly or even relink without this code entered. This would make the drone unusable if stolen and solve the issues people have when by accident gets logged out where no internet connection is available.

It’s already available with iOS 4.1.18, I don’t know why one would complain about this we all should know the answers to safety rules and questions regarding safety before we fly. It’s basically an awareness exercise and should be welcomed.
2017-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

embayweather Posted at 2017-11-1 04:49
Might I suggest to DJI that they consider an opt out for those of us who have taken the trouble to qualify. Perhaps by insertung the certificate numbers from the Part 107 or PfCO, or whatever in a particualr country. Such an option will also help to identify those who are professional pilots too.

So if you don’t know the answers how could you have managed to pass your test, your probably talking about 20 seconds for those who already know.
2017-11-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-18 09:59
It’s already available with iOS 4.1.18, I don’t know why one would complain about this we all should know the answers to safety rules and questions regarding safety before we fly. It’s basically an awareness exercise and should be welcomed.

Because it is not something that concerns DJI whatsoever to interfere in other countries rules or how they enforce their rules.
I also would complain if every producer of networking stuff required a similar security test before i was able to use equipment i had bought from them, even i think that a lot of people should not be allowed access to the internet without better understanding.
2017-11-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-18 10:17
So if you don’t know the answers how could you have managed to pass your test, your probably talking about 20 seconds for those who already know.

If Alabama is right, it can't be failed and therefore add no value what so ever.
2017-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-18 10:35
Because it is not something that concerns DJI whatsoever to interfere in other countries rules or how they enforce their rules.
I also would complain if every producer of networking stuff required a similar security test before i was able to use equipment i had bought from them, even i think that a lot of people should not be allowed access to the internet without better understanding.

Dji are not interfering in your country’s rules what makes you think your country is so special in the scheme of things .
Anything that improves the safety of the general public and the user should be welcomed. How do you know they don’t have agreements from the relative bodies. I attended meetings with EASA when this matter was discussed earlier this year and I posted here about it , this idea was welcomed by all attendees at the meeting and Denmark had a representative in attendance.
I don’t think dji has any plans to invade Europe by posing simple questions as a means to demean the intelligence of Europeans .
2017-11-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-18 10:47
Dji are not interfering in your country’s rules what makes you think your country is so special in the scheme of things .
Anything that improves the safety of the general public and the user should be welcomed. How do you know they don’t have agreements from the relative bodies. I attended meetings with EASA when this matter was discussed earlier this year and I posted here about it , this idea was welcomed by all attendees at the meeting and Denmark had a representative in attendance.
I don’t think dji has any plans to invade Europe by posing simple questions as a means to demean the intelligence of Europeans .

If DJI really was worried about safety they should put some more effort in solving the lack of stability we are a lot suffering of, and not things like this.
This quiz thing just don't belong here IMO, likewise for their NFZ stuff stopping me taking off even when i am fully allowed to do so according our national rules.

Said in other words, just because they can don't make it a good idea to do it.
But i can see their hidden agenda, "see what we can do", if they are lucky their lobby work would influence rules here and there and before we know it we have no choice than bye DJI, that is not a future i dream of.
2017-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-18 11:16
If DJI really was worried about safety they should put some more effort in solving the lack of stability we are a lot suffering of, and not things like this.
This quiz thing just don't belong here IMO, likewise for their NFZ stuff stopping me taking off even when i am fully allowed to do so according our national rules.

Just more hysteria . “And The trouble with hysteria is that it's contagious.”
2017-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-18 11:16

This quiz was first introduced for MATRICE two weeks ago, no complaints there, those guys are true professionals and can obviously see the benefits for all in this , this is not about countries or someone imposing something on drone users this is about being responsible and safe for all in the drone community.
2017-11-18
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Germany's new drone rules have recently come into effect, setting limits on what people can do with their unmanned aerial vehicles in the country. One of these regulations is a similar knowledge quiz as described above.

According to the new regulations, if a drone weighs more than 2kg (4.4lb), its operator is supposed to demonstrate knowledge of how to fly it safely, by presenting either a pilot's license or a certificate from an air sports association, or by taking an examination.

The certificate is a complete travesty. Most of the registered air sports associations in Germany issue this with a test and study program on the Internet for around EUR 25. It has something like 10 questions each one has to be correctly answered before proceeding to the next. Each question has a couple of “study” paragraphs to be read before each question that supplies the answer. I completed it in 15 minutes on my iPad, got out of bed to print the certificate and wipe the tears of laughter from my face.

If the drone weighs more than 5kg (11lb), operators will have to get special permission from the federal aviation authorities before they can use it.

In addition to the above any drone weighing 250g (0.56lb) has to have a fireproof plaque (aluminum, brass etc.) bearing the owner's name and address securely fitted. Which is worth noting for anyone visiting Germany who wants to fly here and at the same time avoid some very nasty interrogation.
2017-11-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

That plaque is really not a bad idea.   Kind of like the FAA's  ID #  when you had to register.   That, btw, is coming back for the US.
2017-11-18
Use props
Radf9760
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-18 11:35
This quiz was first introduced for MATRICE two weeks ago, no complaints there, those guys are true professionals and can obviously see the benefits for all in this , this is not about countries or someone imposing something on drone users this is about being responsible and safe for all in the drone community.

My issue is cellular coverage. I just got a safety quiz prompt in DJI Go, I tried to take it but the quiz wouldn't load. I don't know why it wouldn't load, I get cellular service and WiFI in the parking lot.

Can I expect this quiz to pop up randomly on jobs? That's a real problem for me. Almost all of my sites are outside of cell service. I occasionally have to pack my equipment in on foot.

Recurrency training is important but DJI doesn't seem to realize that the world isn't one big wifi hotspot.
2017-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Radf9760 Posted at 2017-12-6 15:09
My issue is cellular coverage. I just got a safety quiz prompt in DJI Go, I tried to take it but the quiz wouldn't load. I don't know why it wouldn't load, I get cellular service and WiFI in the parking lot.

Can I expect this quiz to pop up randomly on jobs? That's a real problem for me. Almost all of my sites are outside of cell service. I occasionally have to pack my equipment in on foot.

It’s not in Europe yet so I’m just speaking from what I read, you can opt out for x amount of times before you take it, but I think once you take and finish it correctly it shouldn’t need repeating, so I would imagine you should take it when in WiFi area and be done with it.
2017-12-6
Use props
Radf9760
lvl.2

United States

Okay, I finally got the DJI Go quiz to load and passed it. My worry is that it will pop up at random times when I have no cell coverage and no ability to load the quiz. 4 skips does me no good if I have 7 or 8 LiDAR flights on a remote site, that's common for me.

How do I guard against this happening?
2017-12-6
Use props
Radf9760
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-6 15:29
It’s not in Europe yet so I’m just speaking from what I read, you can opt out for x amount of times before you take it, but I think once you take and finish it correctly it shouldn’t need repeating, so I would imagine you should take it when in WiFi area and be done with it.

That's groovy.

If it is a one-time thing, it's no problem.

I would be fine with it if it just didn't require signal. If it was embedded in the app, it would just be an annoyance.

Is anyone else collecting LiDAR data with drones? We've developed a suite of safety protocols but it would be nice to compare notes with someone doing the same kind of operations.
2017-12-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules