GO 4 app not compatible with iPad Pro
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Waterfalls69
New

United States

So I bought a DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone. I was very exicited when I first bought it. BUT... My excited turned to frustration to total utter disgust. It turns out depsite it saying on the Apple store (and on DJI's website) that the Go 4 app is compatible with the iPad Pro it is NOT. I have talked to DJI tech support several times. They finally admitted to me that not only is the Go 4 app NOT compatible with the iPad Pro 9.7 inch it also is NOT compatible with an iPhone 8 or 8 plus. So in order to update my firmware, I had to install the DJI assistant program. Once I did that (thank god I have a mac). I was able to update the firmware after connecting my drone (not the remote controller) to my iMac. BUT... There is no way to double check to make sure that I 150% have the updated firmware. Still after doing this, I was NOT able to use my iPad pro with my drone. So after nearly a month or aggravation, I decided to bite the bullet and buy an iPad Mini 4 (but not after triple checking with Best Buy that is is in fact compatible with the Go 4 app). So today, I am doing everything to get the drone ready to fly.

My advice to anyone buying DJI drones is to Quadrupple check to make sure the device you're going to use to fly the drone is fully compatible with the Go 4 app which you have to use if you want to fly your drone higher than 30 feet. Way to screw over YOUR customers DJI!
2017-10-31
Use props
Waterfalls69
New

United States

Thanks for NOTHING DJI

When I bought my DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone, I researched it pretty good. I read about the new Go 4 app and what devices are compatible with it. I then went to Best Buy and I bought the device I would use to work with the drone I was about to buy. Because DJI said the Go 4 app was compatible with an iPad Pro 9.7 inch that is what I bought then I bought the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I was so excited at first. But my excitement started to turn to horror when I tried to download the DJI Go 4 app onto my iPad Pro. It downloaded okay but it took me nearly an hour to create an account and screenname for the app. Then I tried to update the firmware by connecting my RC to my iPad Pro. It wouldn't update the firmware or do much of anything for that matter. I called DJI for assistance, the first few people basically were clueless, then I finally got a tech who knew his stuff, he informed me that in fact the DJI Go 4 app is NOT compatible with an iPad Pro 9.7 inch (wifi only). He said the problems I had trying to create the screenname were typical problems when using the device I was using and that I could NOT in fact update the firmware using my iPad Pro with the DJI Go 4 app so he suggested I download the DJI Assistant 2 program (I believe its called). Thankfully having an iMac, I was able to connect my drone to my iMac and update the firmware, I think. There was no way for me to confirm if I had in fact downloaded the latest firmware. So I thought, I was good to go. NOT so FAST.... I still couldn't use my iPad Pro with my drone. At first I contemplated selling my drone and losing several hundred dollars in the process but then I figured why not just buy an iPad Mini 4? So I did that. Now I am going to find out if that in fact will alllow me to use the drone I nearly paid 2 grand for (with accessories). If DJI had been HONEST about the Go 4 app not working with an iPad Pro (or iPhone 8/8 plus), I would have just bought the iPad mini 4. So if buying the iPad Mini 4 doesn't work I will be selling this drone taking the loss and buying a drone from ANYONE but DJI. Why would DJI NOT be honest about their latest app not working with a device that has been out for over a year? I don't know that answer maybe DJI does then again maybe they don't.  DJI also admitted to me in addition to the Go 4 app not being compatible with an iPad Pro 9.7 inch (WiFi only) it also is not compatible with an iPhone 8 or 8 plus and probably the upcoming iPhone X. Great huh?  I wish someone from DJI would contact me about this I would LOVE to get a FULL refund for this mess THEY caused!
2017-10-31
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not being compatible with the iPhone 8 and X makes sense.  DJI Will need to update their software.  DJGO works perfectly with iPadMini4, and I've heard plenty of reports of it working with the iPad Pro 9.7.

Good luck with everything, but keep an open mind and a cool head.  DJI is most definitely doing the best job of getting drones to work with some pretty spectacular  results, they are absolutely the best on the market.  But they are way way way short of perfect.  No drone company is anywhere near close to perfect.... DJI is your best option though.
2017-10-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Did you ask for support yet?
(sorry if I missed that on the forum)

To my knowledge DJI works best with iOS devices.
I have heard iOS 11 is causing a lot of issues on apps that have a lot of custom classes etc. in their framework and maybe that is causing issues with DJI also.
Not sure that is your issue also, but it might be.
Since DJI and Apple seem to have a healthy relationship, I am confident they will fix this.
2017-10-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

First off sorry to hear your having so much problems, iPad 9.7 pro Is definitely on the recommended list. I have been using iPad Pro 9.7 for over a year now and no problems what so ever in fact there is no comparison with using mini 4.
2017-10-31
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

I think the many people who fly with iPad Pro and iPhone 8 (myself included) will disagree with your assessment.
Both are compatible and work fine. you have been given bad advice.
2017-10-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-31 09:53
First off sorry to hear your having so much problems, iPad 9.7 pro Is definitely on the recommended list. I have been using iPad Pro 9.7 for over a year now and no problems what so ever in fact there is no comparison with using mini 4.

Same great use news, goes for the incredibly adept iPad Air2 Cellular...

Not even a hiccup, in all the time... It's a little work horse, but with a bigger screen. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-10-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The iPad Pro is used successful,y by many users in this forum.

Not sure where you went wrong, but take a step back and check your findings once again...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-31
Use props
Waterfalls69
New

United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-31 11:38
I think the many people who fly with iPad Pro and iPhone 8 (myself included) will disagree with your assessment.
Both are compatible and work fine. you have been given bad advice.

What IOS are you using? Even DJI admitted to me that an iPad Pro 9.7 inch WiFi only running iOS 11 is not fully compatible. It is possible that because I am a newbie this could be the reason and I don't have anyone close to me who has one to show me the ropes so to speak.
2017-10-31
Use props
BlueBirdTN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90686 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use my iPad Pro 9.7 with no problems.  Also running iOS 11.3.  What was the reason DJI gave that it was not compatible?

2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I‘m sorry for the inconvenience we caused. May I know how did you contact DJI before? Please kindly offer your email address or phone number when you contacted us, we'd like to investigate the exact status.

As for the issue you encountered in DJI GO, please be more specific of this and post some screenshots for better assistance, I'd like to help you.
2017-10-31
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

I use an iPad Pro 9.7 for a year now no problems with Apps or updates and also no problem with IOS 11.3, flying a p4p.
2017-11-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Waterfalls69 Posted at 2017-10-31 07:12
When I bought my DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone, I researched it pretty good. I read about the new Go 4 app and what devices are compatible with it. I then went to Best Buy and I bought the device I would use to work with the drone I was about to buy. Because DJI said the Go 4 app was compatible with an iPad Pro 9.7 inch that is what I bought then I bought the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I was so excited at first. But my excitement started to turn to horror when I tried to download the DJI Go 4 app onto my iPad Pro. It downloaded okay but it took me nearly an hour to create an account and screenname for the app. Then I tried to update the firmware by connecting my RC to my iPad Pro. It wouldn't update the firmware or do much of anything for that matter. I called DJI for assistance, the first few people basically were clueless, then I finally got a tech who knew his stuff, he informed me that in fact the DJI Go 4 app is NOT compatible with an iPad Pro 9.7 inch (wifi only). He said the problems I had trying to create the screenname were typical problems when using the device I was using and that I could NOT in fact update the firmware using my iPad Pro with the DJI Go 4 app so he suggested I download the DJI Assistant 2 program (I believe its called). Thankfully having an iMac, I was able to connect my drone to my iMac and update the firmware, I think. There was no way for me to confirm if I had in fact downloaded the latest firmware. So I thought, I was good to go. NOT so FAST.... I still couldn't use my iPad Pro with my drone. At first I contemplated selling my drone and losing several hundred dollars in the process but then I figured why not just buy an iPad Mini 4? So I did that. Now I am going to find out if that in fact will alllow me to use the drone I nearly paid 2 grand for (with accessories). If DJI had been HONEST about the Go 4 app not working with an iPad Pro (or iPhone 8/8 plus), I would have just bought the iPad mini 4. So if buying the iPad Mini 4 doesn't work I will be selling this drone taking the loss and buying a drone from ANYONE but DJI. Why would DJI NOT be honest about their latest app not working with a device that has been out for over a year? I don't know that answer maybe DJI does then again maybe they don't.  DJI also admitted to me in addition to the Go 4 app not being compatible with an iPad Pro 9.7 inch (WiFi only) it also is not compatible with an iPhone 8 or 8 plus and probably the upcoming iPhone X. Great huh?  I wish someone from DJI would contact me about this I would LOVE to get a FULL refund for this mess THEY caused!

So far lots of people have been flying with no problems with the iPad  Pro 9.7", so that particular model of  iPad is not the problem.  Which version of iOS are you running? The issue might depend on iOS 11 and newer -since it was first released, it has received at least two updates to fix some bugs, and probably more will come. This is not a DJI problem, as with the previous iOS 10.x the DJI GO 4 App was working flawlessly on the iPad Pro.  Have you asked Apple what they think of it?
2017-11-1
Use props
LearntoFly_Firs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23730 ft
United States

I have had my 3 Standard for a couple of weeks and I am anxiously waiting for my Phantom 4 to arrive tomorrow. I use Samsung products exclusively and the DJI Go app works on both my Galaxy S8 and Samsung Tab E. Some problems arose but, all I had to do was read, read and read, problems solved. Will find out if there are problems with the DJI Go 4 app and my devices when the 4 arrives.  
2017-11-1
Use props
fansccfe70bb
lvl.1

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-31 08:53
Did you ask for support yet?
(sorry if I missed that on the forum)

Hi ...
iPad MC744LL/A  (version 9.3.5) Apple 24.0

I cannot load DJI Go 4

- is my iPad have this capacity and, if so, what do I need to do to load it ?
2018-10-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansccfe70bb Posted at 2018-10-16 06:50
Hi ...
iPad MC744LL/A  (version 9.3.5) Apple 24.0

That is an iPad 3 right?
2018-10-16