SO GoPro is NoPro
2205 37 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Well it looks like DJI has abandoned it support of GoPro in the new P3 and unlikely they will do much retro fitting on the P2.  Where does this leave you people that have build you quadcoppter experience around GoPro?  Will you look outside DJI?  Will you eventually abandon GoPro for Quads?

I never went the GoPro route because I thought that added another level of compllexity to the sytem but I always thought the GoPro was a better way to film.
2015-4-9
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

I like my GoPro and will keep it.....it's useful for lots of other things besides screwing to the belly of a Phantom. I plan on keeping the Phantom 2 as well.......until it abandons me.....flyaway...crash...whatever
2015-4-9
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-10 02:44
I like my GoPro and will keep it.....it's useful for lots of other things besides screwing to the be ...

Good call.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  
2015-4-9
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

The gopro is useful for many other things.  i owned it before i owned my phantom.   i think the p2 will be around for a good while.  And the resolution on the gopro 4+ black is still better than the p3.  The integrated lightbridge in the p3 is the reason i will buy one, combined with the new camera with less or no distortion make it a winner.  
2015-4-9
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-10 02:55
Good call.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

Right now with the initial release, there is no GoPro, but who is to say they won't incorporate it into an add on in the future.
2015-4-9
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

GoPro is  a non-starter for me since it won't shoot raw
2015-4-9
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

My bird hauls a GoPro.I love the diversity.Plan on sticking with it.My only concern is this companies longevity.After the Inspire problems,lack of customer satisfaction,and awkward timing in the release of the p3,gotta admit,I am concerned.This company has shown other investors that the market is there.Aside from the already existent companies,others have got to be paying attention to how DJI customers are feeling right now.The smartest thing DJI could do, is hire a team of people to personally contact all of the irate(and on the brink of a lawsuit)customers whos very pricy equipment is in the shop.Let the customers know that this company is on top of the problem.I am sure that DJI is working diligently to solve as many problems as each day will allow.Kind of baffled as to why they decided to pool their resources around something that,by nature,will also have problems instead of handling the Inspires issues in an attempt put equipment in peoples hands that have already paid.Not smart if your trying to gain customer loyalty.I have never heard of a John Deer lawnmower blade coming off mid yard.How ridiculous would that be?There is a reason that John Deer does not advertise.They do not have to.Nobody is perfect.We all make mistakes.The secret to a long relationship is the ability to ask for forgiveness.Nobody likes a kissass.Everybody needs to hear from a person that owes them $20.0,much less a company that owes them thousands.Not trying to complain.Just need to make sense of it.Getting into aerial photography my goal was to purchase an s1000 at the end of this summer.Financially I am in good shape.I have a close friend that purchased the full Inspire package.His investment has been in the shop for almost 5 weeks now.Owned it for 1 week.Flew it 4-5 times.Recorded 1 video.Lost GPS signal in windy conditions.Before realizing what happened the bird struck a tree.Major damage.If this had only happened to him,I would not feel the way that I do about this.At this time I am researching other aerial platform options.
2015-4-9
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

While there are things I don't like about DJI my feeling is they are not going aware anytime soon. DJI without a doubt holds the market share of the drones in it price class. A hobby shop in Atlanta has sold 1000's of DJI drones and they aren't even an Authorized dealer.

Yes they need to fix somethings, customer service, support etc. but I don't see them going out of business. Almost every time you see a story about a drone good or bad 9 times out of 10 it a DJI drone or a picture of a DJI drone is used. DJI has become to drones what Kleenex is to tissues.
2015-4-9
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hah, you could almost write a script.

Company succeeds beyond wildest dreams (Apple)
People claim Apple is going out of business (yes, a good percentage of the population did)
People claim now that Android knows what people want, no one will buy an iphone.
People claim no one would buy an overpriced macbook or macbook air....
People claim no one would buy a $600 tablet when they can get an Android for $200
Apple becomes largest corporation in the entire world and most profitable....
Said people say - well, they knew all along the world was made of fools who enjoy paying too much for junk.

DJI is not going anywhere. Venture Capitalists are lining up and begging for a chance to invest.

The market will morph and change. There will be a chance for people to purchase extra insurance (at high prices, of course) to protect their investments.

Heck, Microsoft sold stuff for decades that allowed just about anyone to hack into your system......and they are still around.
2015-4-9
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I agree.  DJI will hopefully be outpaced by another company with comparable or better products and world class service and repairs.  First biggest company rarely stays that way, right IBM?
2015-4-9
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-10 03:02
GoPro is  a non-starter for me since it won't shoot raw

Go pro does have protune that you could use.
2015-4-9
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

There are rumours that go pro is developing their own uav
2015-4-9
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Don't get me wrong,I'm root'n for them too.Somenights I have a few beers.....I stare at my bird....for almost a weird amount of time.....I look at my bird and say.."Baby..stick with me just 5 good years." Do appreciate the info....good to know.
2015-4-9
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-10 02:44
I like my GoPro and will keep it.....it's useful for lots of other things besides screwing to the be ...

I like to call that spawning, when it is time, it will go and not a damn thing you will be able to do...Just let it go...
2015-4-9
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

smee56@gmail.co Posted at 2015-4-10 08:32
Go pro does have protune that you could use.

that is not Raw data. It is a jpeg format, and thus lossy compression
2015-4-9
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

While it may not be raw it is closer to it than not. Protune files have more  dynamic range. There is less in camera processing and  very low JPEG compression.
2015-4-9
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-10 07:02

People claim Apple is going out of business (yes, a good percentage of the population did)

totally off the subject , but it actually almost happened before Jobs came back, long before IPhone

other wise spot on , lol
Back to Now!
2015-4-9
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-4-10 10:03
While it may not be raw it is closer to it than not. Protune files have more  dynamic range. There i ...

Protune is for video. At any rate I'll stick to a camera that shoots Raw/DNG
2015-4-10
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-10 20:07
Protune is for video. At any rate I'll stick to a camera that shoots Raw/DNG

Protune supports both video and images with the Hero4.
2015-4-10
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-4-10 20:47
Protune supports both video and images with the Hero4.

that is correct. I was mistaken
2015-4-10
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the P3 which was recently revealed is only the first in the series. I wouldn't be surprised to see other versions with support for the Zenmuse/other gimbals. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that dronexpert.nl will be making a Quick Release for the new P3 in the future.
2015-4-10
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

Michael Starley Posted at 2015-4-10 06:33
My bird hauls a GoPro.I love the diversity.Plan on sticking with it.My only concern is this companie ...

Again the old adage...never buy the 1st version.  Too many bugs needed to worked out.  Other than not needing 4k that is why I am not buying p3.
2015-4-10
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-10 07:02

WOW...am I  watching CNBC?
2015-4-10
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

How about the Iris Plus.....
2015-4-10
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-4-10 10:03
While it may not be raw it is closer to it than not. Protune files have more  dynamic range. There i ...

Jato,  Nice change of Avatars.  I think I should change mine every now and then.  Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of changes.  I seem to recall someone saying they were stuck with the present one due to "too many avatars".
2015-4-10
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I thought there was be a limit on the name changes (I could be wrong), but I didn't know there was a limit on the Avatars. Maybe if I would stop buying helicopters and planes I could just leave my Avatar alone. I was thinking about using one of the astronomy pics I took.  I wonder if I can attach a Hydrogen-Alpha filter to my Phantom;
2015-4-10
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-11 03:48
as well as the Hero 3+ Black

still jpeg
2015-4-10
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

no matter to me
2015-4-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-4-10 08:26
I agree.  DJI will hopefully be outpaced by another company with comparable or better products and w ...

IBM had at least a 40 year run - maybe more!
You are correct that companies tend to be generational - that is, the founder of DJI is probably a lot of the driving force. Same with IBM.

Nothing lasts forever and I have long claimed that the first drone company that provides honest customer service will have a BIG advantage. BUT, it turns out that drone technology requires millions of man hours of R&D and that's not easily repeatable.

Heck, try getting customer service from google....I do a lot of business with them and only had their attention once when I went to an event they put on to woo us (publishers)....
Yet they are doing OK.

The market is DJI's to lose...I do agree with that. They have great engineering and production teams but they need to have a MUCH better sales and service department. They should, IMHO, hire a CZAR (well, maybe a bad name for a Chinese company, but you know what I mean) who is in charge of the total sales and service experience and give him or her free rein. I know they could attract top talent at this point.
2015-4-10
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-11 04:11
IBM had at least a 40 year run - maybe more!
You are correct that companies tend to be generationa ...

40 years?  Try 100+ years...

"The company was founded in 1911 as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (CTR) through a merger of the Tabulating Machine Company, the International Time Recording Company, and the Computing Scale Company. CTR was changed to "International Business Machines" in 1924, using a name which had originated with CTR's Canadian subsidiary. The initialism IBM followed. Securities analysts nicknamed the company Big Blue for its size and common use of the color in products, packaging, and logo"
2015-4-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-11 05:07
40 years?  Try 100+ years...

"The company was founded in 1911 as the Computing-Tabulating-Recordi ...

I meant their run at the TOP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM#1930.E2.80.931979

Notice it is given as approx 1940-1980....that was really the giant growth cycle of data processing and we could say that 1980 represented the personal computer revolution, which somewhat ended up being their downfall (or back to earth).

I think in the future we will see that Microsoft has also passed it's prime - the reasons will probably be the internet and mobile computing.

In a couple decades drones are going to really hit the mainstream - chances are they will become failsafe and useful for unheard of tasks...

We may see Apple Drones, Tesla Drones, etc.
2015-4-10
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

i still would love to see a hexacopter based on the phantom, using the same batteries that i have so many of now.  
2015-4-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-4-11 08:56
i still would love to see a hexacopter based on the phantom, using the same batteries that i have so ...

How about an octocopter using the Phantom airframe?
2015-4-10
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-11 08:59
How about an octocopter using the Phantom airframe?

I don't get the whole octo thing.  I have read a lot of stuff about it and watched a lot of videos about P2v+8's, but still see absolutely no need to do this.  Please tell me, what, exactly, do you see as the advantage?  It cannot be distance, as I have only seen this demonstrated clearly on a Phantom that was modified to handle two batteries.  And even that was not repeatable.  So why put 8 motors on your Phantom?

If I could put 8 arms on my Phantom, that would be a different story.
2015-4-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-11 09:16
I don't get the whole octo thing.  I have read a lot of stuff about it and watched a lot of videos ...

You can lose 1 motor and still maintain control and lift a lot more.  If you lose 1 motor with only 4 motors, it's almost a guarantee you will lose control.
2015-4-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

This owner lives on the St. Lawrence river and chases a lot of international freighters sailing on the shipping channel.
158_u7sBYymPaL6trUpIyFJ9A3vGD73BXVu3.png
2015-4-10
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-11 09:18
You can lose 1 motor and still maintain control and lift a lot more.  If you lose 1 motor with onl ...

But wouldn't you rather have a true octo-copter as opposed to a Phantom with 8 motors?  Where is your power going and what flight times do you expect?
2015-4-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-11 09:21
But wouldn't you rather have a true octo-copter as opposed to a Phantom with 8 motors?  Where is y ...

I'm not sure what he gets for times,  He does have some 12 to 14 minute flights recorded.  I'm still waiting for the big one.
2015-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules