4706 9 2017-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Hi everyone!

I have a Sony Action Cam AS100 and a Feiyu 3 axis gimbal. Since I got the gimbal I don't want to use any action cam without it.
So right now I am looking to buy a more performant combo, 4K capable. GoPro Hero6 is out there but I must spend another $399 CAD for their gimbal, Sony X3000 is a very good camera but l am also considering DJI OSMO.

What is your opinion between the OSMO and the OSMO Mobile? Image stabilization is key for me, as well being able to walk while filming and do the crane effect.
I have a Samsung 7 Edge and most probably a Samsung 8 will come soon. Right now I am attaching my cell phone to the Feiyu gimbal to monitor my recoding.

You can vote your choice, please.

Thanks a lot!
Single SelectVote, Total 8 people participate in voting
0.00% (0)
62.50% (5)
37.50% (3)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-10-31
Use props
Felipe Olvera
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94849 ft
United States

If you want a fixed system go for the Osmo Mobile. If you want to upgrade in the future get a Osmo+ and a Zenmuse m1. If you want to shoot solely with your Samsung Edge 7, but may want to upgrade later get the Osmo Handle Kit +  Zenmuse m1.
2017-10-31
Use props
Felipe Olvera
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94849 ft
United States

If you have  a GoPro you can purcahse a mount adapter here: http://amzn.to/2xJyBrS
2017-10-31
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

I have an Osmo and Osmo mobile, and have particular use cases for both. If I'm doing "action" oriented stuff, I feel the Osmo is better suited due to it's smaller size and secured attachment. The Mobile on the other hand works very well for less intensive shots and has two distinct advantages. Firstly, the battery life is much much better, especially using a high capacity battery for the Osmo+. Secondly, as you upgrade your phone its camera traditionally also gets an upgrade, and thus so does your Osmo Mobile.
2017-11-1
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Felipe Olvera Posted at 2017-10-31 22:25
If you have  a GoPro you can purcahse a mount adapter here: http://amzn.to/2xJyBrS

Wow! Someone thought about that one too! It's a cool adapter but makes the whole unit a bit bulkier.
One question someone had on Amazon was if isn't a heavier load for the OSMO motors and it may damage them in the long run?
2017-11-1
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

dezign999 Posted at 2017-11-1 04:55
I have an Osmo and Osmo mobile, and have particular use cases for both. If I'm doing "action" oriented stuff, I feel the Osmo is better suited due to it's smaller size and secured attachment. The Mobile on the other hand works very well for less intensive shots and has two distinct advantages. Firstly, the battery life is much much better, especially using a high capacity battery for the Osmo+. Secondly, as you upgrade your phone its camera traditionally also gets an upgrade, and thus so does your Osmo Mobile.

Thanks for your feedback. I am not a vlogger but there are times when I record myself or the group I am with, so it's nice to have a control on your phone.
The OSMO mobile is the cheaper option, I am not 100% sure I want to film with my mobile phone.
2017-11-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I just bought a Osmo Mobile since I always carry my phone with me and it makes very decent video's (at least for me as a hobbyist).
I also thought about getting a gimbal plus a compact, but I usually have my DSLR with me so don't need a compact.
And a gimbal for my DSLR was too big, heavy, expensive and required me to purchase a lens with VR (to compensate for the small jitter).
So Osmo Mobile it is.
I will write my 'thoughts' on that as soon as I feel I have enough experience but there is 1 drawback: the battery of your phone is draining fast. I get about 0,5 - 1 hour of shooting max on my iPhone SE with Filmic Pro and a little more with DJI Go.

2017-11-1
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-1 12:07
I just bought a Osmo Mobile since I always carry my phone with me and it makes very decent video's (at least for me as a hobbyist).
I also thought about getting a gimbal plus a compact, but I usually have my DSLR with me so don't need a compact.
And a gimbal for my DSLR was too big, heavy, expensive and required me to purchase a lens with VR (to compensate for the small jitter).

Thanks for your feedback! To compensate the jitter, have you tried filming at twice shutter speed?
2017-11-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Callatis Posted at 2017-11-2 04:53
Thanks for your feedback! To compensate the jitter, have you tried filming at twice shutter speed?

Yes, it gives a more natural look, but I have non stabilized lenses (primes) and the gimbal did not compensate the little shakes my hand makes very well.
I also tried with a lens with VR, that gave much better results.
But that would mean I would have to buy a fifth lens (I have 4 primes) and carry that one around also, just for my gimbal shots.
Or stabilize the footage in post, which is a. time consuming and b. causes some softness.
So I opted for the Osmo Mobile and first find out if I use it enough to upgrade possibly in the future.

2017-11-2
Use props
FerranLozano
New

Spain

Excuse my English....
I've been using OSMO+ for a year now, and I'm satisfied with its performance, but it still had two big limitations: The low-light night scenes, it makes them very dark and the sound of people's voices; if you haven't set up an external microphone, it's not good. Then the WIFI connection was annoying; it takes too long and sometimes you miss the scene. OSMO+ batteries are very short-lived.
Yesterday I bought OSMO MOBILE 2, and I'm using it with Samsung S8. The night scenes have greatly improved the quality of the smartphone lens. But in other ways Osmo+ is better. The movement with Osmo Mobile is much slower, the turns have to be very slow compared to Osmo +. I think it's because of the weight of the smartphone; and the general handling is much easier with Osmo+. I go where I want to go, but with Osmo Mobile it's not all that easy. Another thing I liked about Osmo+ is to be able to control the audio volume level, but the features of the Osmo Mobile app are very good, with the different types of Time Lapse. I think the biggest problem with Osmo+ is that the quality of the lenses advances faster on smartphones.

2018-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules