Drone not flying straight
4522 26 2017-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Akpe
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello guys, i just got a phantom 4 pro which i really like, the problem  am going through now is when i try to fly my drone in a straight line in  GPS mode, it tends to drift a little to the left or right. It never  just flys straight. I make sure to calibrate the drone first and still  face this issue.

Is this normal and al is need is more practice or is this an issue.
I never use to have this issue with my previous drone  (phantom 2)

2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

No it's definitely not normal. As you likely already know.
If You have already done all the appropriate calibrations and noted that they were completed correctly.
Perhaps now, the unit will need to be analyzed by a DJI tech.?

RedHotPoker
2017-11-1
Use props
fans61699a75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Callibrated imu and the rc? And what about choosing different location? Maybe there is interference. Did you callubrate compass in open field or close to car , appliances etc?
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans61699a75 Posted at 2017-11-1 10:28
Callibrated imu and the rc? And what about choosing different location? Maybe there is interference. Did you callubrate compass in open field or close to car , appliances etc?

Hopefully the OP would have sense to calibrate the compass away from any ferrous metal, or electrical interference.
Perhaps the compass needs to be calibrated properly once again.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-1
Use props
Akpe
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks guys for the quick reply, i have calibrated the compase and imu and still have the same issue. It always fly a little to the left.
2017-11-1
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

I've noticed the same thing with mine - when trying to fly a straight line it always starts drifting off, usually to the left.
2017-11-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

cameracollector Posted at 2017-11-1 14:38
I've noticed the same thing with mine - when trying to fly a straight line it always starts drifting off, usually to the left.

Aloha Akpe and CC,

There is also the Remote Controller calibration that can solve this problem.  Sometimes, the RC is stored in a way that the sticks are touching a side and the metal memory of the stick support distort the flight path of the Phantom.

One.  Do not let the sticks touch anything when storing the Phantom, even for over-night.

Two,  Calibrate the RC to set the sticks straight for the immediate flight.

The problem with this metal memory issue is that the memory will return and the sticks will eventually go back to straight on their own.  So you have to calibrate the RC a few more times during this process.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Akpe Posted at 2017-11-1 10:50
Thanks guys for the quick reply, i have calibrated the compase and imu and still have the same issue. It always fly a little to the left.

At what height are you testing this?
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sure you can calibrate the RC, and see if that corrects your crooked flight issue.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Could you please answer the question Hallmark007 asked? I would recommend you try the fly the drone more than 15 meters above the ground, see if it is the same.
2017-11-1
Use props
Akpe
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-11-1 19:47
Could you please answer the question Hallmark007 asked? I would recommend you try the fly the drone more than 15 meters above the ground, see if it is the same.

I have tried fly lower and higher than 50 meters and its still the same
2017-11-6
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

FWIW: Ever since the dreaded update of lore....  both of my drones have a difficult time with drift.  It isn't a RC calibration issue... the drones will randomly drift as if they are in ATTI mode in a soft breeze.   They seem to do it more often (or at least more noticeably) at lower altitudes where the VPS kicks in.  This was not an issue prior to the dreaded update.
2017-11-6
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

definitely not normal bruh!
2017-11-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Akpe Posted at 2017-11-6 04:22
I have tried fly lower and higher than 50 meters and its still the same

Could you please export the flight data and the flight record, upload them to the dropbox, then provide me with a link to download them? I'll forward it to the engineers for analysis.
2017-11-16
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Whats the wind speed you are flying in? I notice when it very windy or or has a slight wind it drifts. Maybe i can be wrong I try and do some more test. How high are you flying?
2017-11-16
Use props
kykphantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Is the problem solved?
2017-11-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

cameracollector Posted at 2017-11-1 14:38

Had some of that today b/c of wind conditions, was it a bit windy when you flew ? once I clicked sports mode ..poof, it vanished.
2017-11-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

also, make sure you're in GPS or sports mode..and not in atti.  
2017-11-16
Use props
Akpe
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Sory for the delay in replyin guys......i sent it of to dji and they sent a replacement
2017-11-20
Use props
YakMan
New
United States

Mine has always done this. When I push forward, it goes diagonal left. I have never been able to get the footage I want since I have gotten my 4 pro. It sounds like there isn't a fix??
2017-11-20
Use props
aerofart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427969 ft
United States

I've just started noticing that my P4P is doing this - it drifts left and sometimes right when I'm just moving the sticks forward or back.  I've been flying this since I bought it new about a couple months ago and I've  never noticed this before.  Also, seems to more jittery than usual when it's a little windy outside and seems to lose some elevation as well during certain maneuvers.  Not a comfortable feeling when you're 120 feet up flying close to a palm tree or power pole, let me tell you.
2018-2-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My p4p too, i think since the last update or 2, i thought it was just my stick control, i will however do a stick calibration next time im out, not done one since a couple of months now...
2018-2-13
Use props
djiuser_J0vGhQeqN5zC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483629 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Ja też tak mam moj p4p leci lekko w prawo i w trybie rth wraca bokiem to straszne nowy dron za nie małe pieniądze
2018-2-16
Use props
RPAS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1641696 ft
Australia

Also check the camera gimbal is looking straight when on the ground. since it is rubber mounted inside the whole mount can be a little un-centred. so when you aim for the distant object via the ipad you have to constantly feed a little rudder into it. Like not having your head screwed on straight and expecting to get where you are looking Agree with all the above. You could try 'Tap n Go' mode.
2018-4-5
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft

I experienced the same issue RPAS states here on my P4 Advanced. Constantly making a rudder correction while trying to fly straight because the gimbal was off.  Finally fixed it by doing the gimbal calibration routine while the aircraft is held perfectly vertical and only sitting on the rear arms and not the landing skids. You’ll have to hold it in that position. Worked perfectly. Camera is straight for the first time.
2018-4-5
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 150932 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-11-1 15:01
Aloha Akpe and CC,

There is also the Remote Controller calibration that can solve this problem.  Sometimes, the RC is stored in a way that the sticks are touching a side and the metal memory of the stick support distort the flight path of the Phantom.

How do you calibrate the RC? Thanks.
2018-4-6
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

AvatarAir Posted at 2018-4-6 07:20
How do you calibrate the RC? Thanks.

Aloha AA or as it might be AAA - Aloha Avatar Air,

The online manual for DJI GO 4 is an amazing resource.  Here is the image from the page on the RC;

Notice the first entry.  Tap that and you can do the calibration, just follow the instructions.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules