Two phones/tablets for 1 wifi extender?
1353 9 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paul
lvl.2

United States

I'm planning on showing off my Phantom at a family gathering this weekend, with about 8 people sitting lawn chairs a few feet away while I fly.  Too many to have them all looking over my shoulder.  I figured it would be nice if I could hand them a phone or tablet so they could see the FPV and pass it around.

I tried a little experiment, using my phone and also a tablet.  So far, no luck.  Although both can be "connected" to the wifi extender, I have only succeeded at getting one to show the camera view at any time, even with both set for low resolution at 15FPS.

Since the devices mostly receive data (from the camera), I hoped there would be no contention between the two of them.  I guess wifi has to specify which device it is sending data to, unlike a signal from a radio station.

But in pursuit of similar ideas:

1) How far can the device be from the wifi extender?
2) Is there something I haven't tried, so that two devices could see the camera simultaneously?  
3) Would any developers be able to create an app that could make this possible?  (A "dumb" version with just the FPV full screen -- no distractions.)

2015-4-9
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

I looked into doing this a while back. Unfortunately, as of today it's not possible, as you've found. (Although, I'd love to be proved wrong....)

One of the app developers (Ultimate Flight) does document, in their flight school, an 'advanced mode' where the 'subject' has the iPad & RE in their possession. So, I believe those two need to be close to each other, if not the TX. Obviously, you're not going to see any data, so may want to set a conservative minimum battery level then trust it come home when it wants.
Ultimate Flight offers a (very nice) 'orbit' mode. You set the height, radius and 'speed' (more correctly the leading bearing) and it will keep the nose and gimbal focussed on the subject. I'm thinking of stashing the RE and a phone under the 'altar' outside at my sons wedding next month.

Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-9
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Ian,

I think you're talking about the new Autopilot app for the IOS not Ultimate Flight-Android. I don't think Ken is doing this in his app. I use Ultimate Flight quite a bit and I haven't seen it. I could be wrong.

Jerry
2015-4-9
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-10 04:26
Ian,

I think you're talking about the new Autopilot app for the IOS not Ultimate Flight-Android. I  ...

My bad..... You are 100% correct, damnit! ;)

Got the two mixed up *again*!

Which also reminds me why I decided to pass on UF & go with Autopilot - No Android here.

Sorry for the confusion guys,
Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-9
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

You could buy a long female-to-male USB cable.... and if you own a MAC you could then show your iPad/iPhone, whatever you use to run the DJI vision APP to Quicktime and even record it.....
2015-4-9
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

only one device can get FPV and telemetry but you could mirror what is on the connected mobile device to the other mobile device
2015-4-9
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

i_anderson@iclo Posted at 2015-4-10 05:40
My bad..... You are 100% correct, damnit! ;)

Got the two mixed up *again*!

Ian,

Have you flown with Autopilot much? I'd really like to hear your experiences with it. I purchased it but haven't put the bird in the air with it yet. I don't know if its appropriate for me to muck up this particular thread with it but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Jerry
2015-4-9
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-10 06:29
Ian,

Have you flown with Autopilot much? I'd really like to hear your experiences with it. I purc ...

I'm not sure we're really "messing up this thread", but I guess a "review" of Autopilot is indeed kind of off-topic, so I'll start another next..... Should be up soon....
2015-4-10
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Paul,
Several are looking for answers to 2 & 3, nothing viable I am aware of, too bad there could not be something simple via Bluetooth, I would think it would be great for educators walking students through an exercise....
That said, you should have no problem with your iPad being 10-12' away from the TX, the iPad etc. does not technically even need to be on for you to fly the bird...as I have done so a few times...just be cautious of surroundings and battery level! Hopefully no disgruntled relative shouting, hey Paul, you still have a full battery after 10-15 minutes of flying...You'll be doomed!
2015-4-10
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

I remember seeing a hack on a pair of jailbroken iPhones...  Where you could mirror the sreen of one iPhone to the other via bluetooth like North Mentionned above...
2015-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules