What is the life expectancy of a mavic pro?
12Next >
23021 43 2017-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8cccea00
lvl.1
Flight distance : 537717 ft
France

Hi guys,
What is the life expectancy of a mavic pro?
Thanks
2017-11-1
Use props
Welsh Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26493 ft
France

That is how long is a piece of string question.
2017-11-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You mean as in hours of flying?
2017-11-1
Use props
Radon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3826247 ft
  • >>>
United States

It likely depends on how well to take care of it.   It's fairly mechanically simple.   With proper care, the first thing that will start to wear out is the batteries, and those are easily replaced with new ones.
2017-11-1
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

If you do not read the manual, less than 20 minutes.
2017-11-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

My personal Absolutely subjective expectation is a year but Your mileage may vary
2017-11-1
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46283 ft
Canada

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-1 12:15
If you do not read the manual, less than 20 minutes.

Read the manual and get the protection with the Fresh Start Program!
2017-11-1
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46283 ft
Canada

Silver Surfer Posted at 2017-11-1 12:31
Read the manual and get the protection with the Fresh Start Program!

I meant Refresh Program
2017-11-1
Use props
fans5aee5495
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My Mavic has 560kms on the clock, 60 plus hours running time and 380 flights. Looks and feels as good as new.
2017-11-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

One clue might come from the FAQ:

2. Does the folding mechanism wear out and will it need replacing?
The folding mechanism has been tested to last at least 5000 folds. It is unlikely that it will wear out during the Mavic’s lifetime.
2017-11-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That depends on so many variables that nobody can give a straight answer to that question. As an approximation DJI advise that the Mavic can withstand 'c.5,000 folds' = years! But it depends on how often you fly, how aggressive you fly, how you store and transport it, the climate conditions you fly in and if you crash of course etc etc etc. Literally minutes to years. Look after it and there should be no reason why it won't see you through a good 2-3 years or even more. People are still out there flying the original Phantom from 2012 whilst others sadly don't go home with their drone after their first flight...
2017-11-1
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2017-11-1 14:16
That depends on so many variables that nobody can give a straight answer to that question. As an approximation DJI advise that the Mavic can withstand 'c.5,000 folds' = years! But it depends on how often you fly, how aggressive you fly, how you store and transport it, the climate conditions you fly in and if you crash of course etc etc etc. Literally minutes to years. Look after it and there should be no reason why it won't see you through a good 2-3 years or even more. People are still out there flying the original Phantom from 2012 whilst others sadly don't go home with their drone after their first flight...

whilst others sadly don't go home with their drone after their first flight

This is the saddest thing that I read today  
2017-11-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's depends on multiple factors and the list could go on forever.
2017-11-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

For the whole drone, we don't have the very specific data about its life expectancy, for the props, we suggest changing it when you flew 200 sorties, but all depend on the usage of personal preference.
In a word, fly safely.
2017-11-1
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

As a rule of thumb, I usually use how long the components of the device are warranted by the manufacturer and then add 10 percent. They know how long the things have lasted during their extensive testing, and have set the warranty period based on that testing. If the device would last forever, it would be a feather in their advertising cap to advertise that it lasts forever.  No one realistically warrants anything for a period beyond what they believe it will eventually fail.  FYI, I believe that some components of the Mavic Pro are only warranted by DJI for 6 months. Soooo....

YMMV, of course.

2017-11-1
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

700 kilometres in five countries for my Mavic and no issues so far, touch wood.

Have only replaced the props and that was to upgrade to the new ones rather than wear etc.
2017-11-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-1 19:33
As a rule of thumb, I usually use how long the components of the device are warranted by the manufacturer and then add 10 percent. They know how long the things have lasted during their extensive testing, and have set the warranty period based on that testing. If the device would last forever, it would be a feather in their advertising cap to advertise that it lasts forever.  No one realistically warrants anything for a period beyond what they believe it will eventually fail.  FYI, I believe that some components of the Mavic Pro are only warranted by DJI for 6 months. Soooo....

YMMV, of course.

I get your point but that isn't an accurate way to assess warranties. A warranty is where the manufacturer is willing to cover the cost of defects caused at the production stage. Once the product has been opened and used by the consumer the statutory rights of the consumer start ticking down from that point with most rights ending after 7, 14 and 30 days. It is also dependant on the legislation regarding the consumer act in the country - some countries do not provide any form of warranty including DJI products whilst others offer more than a year. I can buy a DJI drone in John Lewis in London and get two years warranty with it, walk into another reseller on the same high street and be offered 1 year for the same product. Rolex watches are offered with 5 years warranty but last for decades - in fact the one I'm wearing right now was made in 1977 and as expected at production it is still giving perfect time, irrespective of the length of the original warranty.
2017-11-2
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Yeah, I don't think using the warranty period length is any good measure of life expectancy.
2017-11-2
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

A CW Posted at 2017-11-2 11:37
I get your point but that isn't an accurate way to assess warranties. A warranty is where the manufacturer is willing to cover the cost of defects caused at the production stage. Once the product has been opened and used by the consumer the statutory rights of the consumer start ticking down from that point with most rights ending after 7, 14 and 30 days. It is also dependant on the legislation regarding the consumer act in the country - some countries do not provide any form of warranty including DJI products whilst others offer more than a year. I can buy a DJI drone in John Lewis in London and get two years warranty with it, walk into another reseller on the same high street and be offered 1 year for the same product. Rolex watches are offered with 5 years warranty but last for decades - in fact the one I'm wearing right now was made in 1977 and as expected at production it is still giving perfect time, irrespective of the length of the original warranty.

Perhaps I am reading your reply incorrectly, but DJI most definitely does offer a warranty.

https://www.dji.com/service/policy.  Click on the link to -> Warranty Period of Main Parts*

Looks like the main components are only warrantied for 6 months.

And yes companies DO evaluate their product's expected lifespan in relation to their liability for covering the cost or parts and labor for repairs or replacements.  Any smart company, anyway.  It's a balancing act between long term liabilities on already sold products and the customer's perception of how long they can expect the company to stand behind the quality and the user's ability to actually use the product they purchased from them.  I would never buy a car from a company that offered no warranty, taking that as evidence that the car possibly won't last much past being driven off of the lot and the dealer knows this.  Obviously the dealer does not want to pay for repairs if that should happen and this is the policy in place to keep that additional expense for them from taking place.

In my opinion, a warranty is the evidence of how much faith the manufacturer or seller is placing on the quality, usefulness, and longevity of the merchandise they are selling.  And most sensible companies pay big bucks to actuaries to try to determine such factors for them.

If DJI expected those parts warranted for 6 months to easily last a year or more, then why not stand behind them and warranty them for that period?  In my opinion, buyers should not count heavily on those items lasting much beyond 6 months, and plan accordingly.  To do otherwise would be downright foolish.  Sure, YOU might be lucky and beat the odds. So I guess a lot depends on just how lucky you feel you are.
2017-11-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-2 12:17
Perhaps I am reading your reply incorrectly, but DJI most definitely does offer a warranty.

https://www.dji.com/service/policy.  Click on the link to -> Warranty Period of Main Parts*

Have you ever bought a DJI drone in India? I guess not as you don't get a warranty there. Warranties have nothing to do with the life expectancy of the product - it is a legality of the consumer act within the country where the product is purchased and down to the manufacturer whether they wish to offer 30 days to life based on the resources at their disposal to repair a product with a manufacturer defect 20 years later LOL and the legalities of the country in which it is sold given that DJI is a Chinese organisation selling on a global scale. The US is merely one of those countries with very different consumer rights to other countries within DJI's market. I don't think the following written by DJI is based on expectations from the wording but proves my point that warranties are due to rights/law/geography and not how much faith the manufacturer places on the product. As previously stipulated, these drones can and do last for YEARS - no taking odds or chances, just fact!
European Economic Area (EEA)

Warranty Obligor for EEA

"DJI" means DJI GmbH or DJI Europe B.V.. Address: DJI GmbH, Industriestrasse 12, 97618 Niederlauer, Germany, or, DJI Europe B.V., Bijdorp-oost 6, 2992LA, Barendrecht, The Netherlands.

The following is added to Part I:

Additional Legal Rights for Consumers

For consumers, who are covered by consumer protection laws or regulations in their country of purchase or, if different, their country of residence, the benefits conferred by DJI’s After-Sales Policy are in addition to all rights and remedies conveyed by such consumer protection laws and regulations, including but not limited to these additional rights.
Under European consumer laws, consumers are entitled to a repair or replacement free of charge by the seller of defective goods or goods which do not conform with the contract of sale. Furthermore, the consumer may require an appropriate reduction of the price or have the contract rescinded, if the consumer is entitled to neither repair nor replacement, or if the seller has not completed the remedy within a reasonable time, or if the seller has not completed the remedy without significant inconvenience to the consumer or refund by the seller, of defective goods or goods which do not conform with the contract of sale. However, the consumer is not entitled to have the contract rescinded if the lack of conformity is minor.
For additional information on consumer laws and particularities in the country of purchase or, if different, the country of your residence, please visit the European Consumer Centre website at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/index_en.htm  
Customers in the EEA may contact DJI at the address mentioned above.

2017-11-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Life Expectancy of a Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum

1. Stored in its case on a shelf in my closet    -  Longer than my life expectancy (excluding batteries)
2. On my desk trying to update successfully  -  5-10 minutes after update failure
3. Sport Mode blindfolded  -- 2-3 minutes
4. If my wife finds out what I REALLY paid for it  - 1 minute.
2017-11-2
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

A CW Posted at 2017-11-2 12:37
Have you ever bought a DJI drone in India? I guess not as you don't get a warranty there. Warranties have nothing to do with the life expectancy of the product - it is a legality of the consumer act within the country where the product is purchased and down to the manufacturer whether they wish to offer 30 days to life based on the resources at their disposal to repair a product with a manufacturer defect 20 years later LOL and the legalities of the country in which it is sold given that DJI is a Chinese organisation selling on a global scale. The US is merely one of those countries with very different consumer rights to other countries within DJI's market. I don't think the following written by DJI is based on expectations from the wording but proves my point that warranties are due to rights/law/geography and not how much faith the manufacturer places on the product. As previously stipulated, these drones can and do last for YEARS - no taking odds or chances, just fact!
European Economic Area (EEA)Warranty Obligor for EEA

My method of determining the way to interpret a warranty has served me well over the years. Hopefully your method serves you equally well.
2017-11-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-2 17:02
My method of determining the way to interpret a warranty has served me well over the years. Hopefully your method serves you equally well.

So I take it that your DJI drone no longer works after six months? Thats strange as my P3P is still performing perfectly after 14 months... Indeed, warranties are NOT designed to evaluate the life expectancy of a product sold and doing so is a very inaccurate assessment of overall quality control and reliability. If that makes you sleep better at night then good for you but I have no idea why as it's a totally inaccurate method.
2017-11-2
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Could potentially be less than an hour if you don't know what you're doing with the copter.
2017-11-3
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Mine was 6 months before crashing it onto my deck, then into the boom then over the side in water, all in one foul swoop after many successful flights. Oops.

Back on topic, I'm guessing the motors and gimbal would be the first things to fail they are the only moving parts. The batteries like in anything are consumables so don't count, any more than you would judge the life of a car by how long a tank a fuel lasts.
2017-11-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-11-3 04:37
Mine was 6 months before crashing it onto my deck, then into the boom then over the side in water, all in one foul swoop after many successful flights. Oops.

Back on topic, I'm guessing the motors and gimbal would be the first things to fail they are the only moving parts. The batteries like in anything are consumables so don't count, any more than you would judge the life of a car by how long a tank a fuel lasts.

Exactly - it has nothing to do with the length of a products warranty.
2017-11-3
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-2 15:46

1. Stored in its case on a shelf in my closet    -  Longer than my life expectancy (excluding batteries)

And that sums it up perfectly!
2017-11-3
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dancopter Posted at 2017-11-1 21:22
700 kilometres in five countries for my Mavic and no issues so far, touch wood.

Have only replaced the props and that was to upgrade to the new ones rather than wear etc.

Pretty impressive having that many miles and the MP is still alive and kicking...or flying.
2017-11-20
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got 1500 miles, 85 hours, 342 flights with no issues.
2017-11-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m hoping to get at least 500 flights. Almost a year with the Mavic and no issues.
2017-11-20
Use props
ew51jr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 895361 ft
United States

Cavalier responses aside, the Mavic Pro does have several critical "points of failure." (Loose a motor in flight and your quad is most certainly Earth-bound.) A calendar life expectancy (days, months years) isn't very useful as one pilot may fly only occasionally while another may fly several cycles in a day. It would, however, be VERY useful if those of us who care about such things had statistical guidelines to go by: a recommended number of flight cycles/hours the average M1P motor (or other electrical components) can do before replacement, for example.
2018-3-6
Use props
ew51jr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 895361 ft
United States

Cavalier responses aside, the Mavic Pro does have several critical "points of failure." (Loose a motor in flight and your quad is most certainly Earth-bound.) A calendar life expectancy (days, months years) isn't very useful as one pilot may fly only occasionally while another may fly several cycles in a day. It would, however, be VERY useful if those of us who care about such things had statistical guidelines to go by: a recommended number of flight cycles/hours the average M1P motor and/or other electrical components can do before replacement, for example. I realize this may be of little consequence to the casual pilot or hobbyist but - for professionals who rely on their DJIs for a living - reliability, the ability to predict/schedule preventative maintenance, or even a data base of tell-tale signs to be alert for (such as a slight "burning" smell given off by a motor that is close to failing) could be a fantastic asset.
2018-3-6
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165213 ft
Australia

Depends entirely on when a DJI firmware update will likely cause a crash.
2018-3-6
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

By the way what should we do in case of a motor failure? Of course you can send it to DJI but they'll replace the gimbal assembly and charge you 400 USD. Are there any sites out there selling individual parts?
2018-3-6
Use props
damoUK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 693038 ft
United Kingdom

I have wondered whether the weakest point of the Mavic Pro is actually the rubber mounts of the gimbal. Rubber perishes, and fast if it’s rubber-band thickness and subjected to lots of use.

Mines fine, but I do wonder how long that part will last and how difficult it will be to get replacements or do the replacement without a costly DJI service!
2018-3-6
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1. Stored in its case on a shelf in my closet    -  Longer than my life expectancy (excluding batteries)

Good list of possibles there. Had a chuckle as will many. Missed one....Asking people on the forum who have asked people on the forum before reading any instructions downloaded on the forum. LOL.....
2018-3-11
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
United States

I'm so grateful that other people have the same questions as me. Thank you for the feedback.
2019-2-2
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

1. Stored in its case on a shelf in my closet    -  Longer than my life expectancy (excluding batteries)

hey Quad Kid you're the only one that is accurate!  #4 is so true!
2019-2-3
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-1 19:29
For the whole drone, we don't have the very specific data about its life expectancy, for the props, we suggest changing it when you flew 200 sorties, but all depend on the usage of personal preference.
In a word, fly safely.

Thats 2 words :-)
2019-2-3
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

my mavic pro has flown 3200km - 168 hrs - 774 times over 2 years and still going well - survived a few crashes - only worn out part so far was the clip on my original gimbal cover and one battery swelled (replaced by warentee) springs on my motor shafts are rusty as are the screw heads holding the drone together - other wise it seems as good now as when i first got it.
2019-2-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules