DRONE LAWS IN DUBAI & ABU DHABI ?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Hi folks,

I am traveling through Dubai & Abu Dhabi in december and ws hopig to get some footage of the amazing architecture & scenary etc but having read through numerous articles online, I am still not quite clear on the do's & dont's. Also how to appy for permissions & register etc.
Have any of you been that could posibly advise?
Many thanks,

Jackson
2017-11-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jackson, sorry that we are unable to give you any suggestions regarding this, hope other user who have been there could give you some advise.
But we do hope you have a great trip and looking forward great videos and pictures from you.
2017-11-1
Use props
Desert Drone Pi
lvl.3

United Arab Emirates

Dubai is very strict regarding drones, you are required to have a registered drone with the local and federal aviation authorities, furthermore you require prior permission before flying from the aviation authorities. In addition to this Dubai has very strict privacy rules and regulations. I would strongly advise against flying a drone in Dubai , unless you live and operate there and adhere to the rules and regulations, you can end up with hefty fines and even worse......  
Please see the following links for further information:

http://www.dcaa.gov.ae/en/Pages/RPASRegistration.aspx?sid=16

https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/pages/UASRegistration.aspx  

I would like to also highlight the point regarding privacy and cameras on a drone acording to the federal regulations:

5. REQUIREMENTS

a) Requirements for an Individual/Private User (Recreational)(Click to Apply)

The user and UAS/drone shall be registered      with the GCAA before flying;
All UAS/drones weighing 5kgs or less shall      only be allowed to fly in the approved flying zone (i.e the green zone);
No      video or image capturing devices shall be used when flying the UAS/drone;
No UAS/drones shall be equipped with drop or      release devices;
UAS/drones flying range shall be within      line-of-sight and not more than 400 feet above ground level;
UAS/drones shall fly only during day time and      in good weather conditions;
UAS/drones shall be used for fun and not for      commercial purposes;
The user shall be responsible to ensure the      UAS/drones is used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and      it is inspected before commencement of flight;
No user shall fly the UAS/drones near public      and/or private property;
No user shall fly the UAS/drones within 5 km      of UAE airports outer fence, Heliports, Helicopter landing Sites, and      airfields or in controlled zones;
Direct radio control link shall be maintained      between the user and the UAS/drones;
Frequency Band Restrictions (29.7-47.0 MHz max      power 10 mW, or 2400-2500 MHz max power 100 mW) shall be maintained;
UAS/drones user shall take into consideration      the effects on radio communication, interference of the frequency used;
UAS/drones user shall avoid collisions with      people, objects, other manned and unmanned aircraft;
UAS/drones user shall not harass or endanger      people or threaten to damage property;
UAS/drones owner shall be responsible to      inform the GCAA through the GCAA website when he/she intends to resell the      UAS/drones;
If a UAS/drones accident or UAS/drones loss of      control has occurred, the user shall immediately report the      incident/accident to the GCAA on hotline: +971506414667 and E-mail: aai@gcaa.gov.ae ;
All UAS/drones weighing above 5kgs and/or      equipped with gas engine shall only operate within the GCAA approved      flying clubs;
The minimum age to fly UAS/drones weighing      more than 25Kgs is 21 years;
[size=11.3333px]

[size=11.3333px]I hope this helps.........
2017-11-4
Use props
Desert Drone Pi
lvl.3

United Arab Emirates

Desert Drone Pi Posted at 2017-11-4 23:41
Dubai is very strict regarding drones, you are required to have a registered drone with the local and federal aviation authorities, furthermore you require prior permission before flying from the aviation authorities. In addition to this Dubai has very strict privacy rules and regulations. I would strongly advise against flying a drone in Dubai , unless you live and operate there and adhere to the rules and regulations, you can end up with hefty fines and even worse......  

In addition to this please find attached this link to a very recent local news paper article providing warning and possible fine prices of up to AED30,000.......

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/nation/dubai/Break-this-Dubai-rule-and-pay-Dh20
2017-11-4
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Oman

It isn’t that difficult. I live in Muscat, Oman and fly in the UAE regularly. It’s easy to register online and as a recreational operator the rules are very different than for a commercial operation. It gets even easier soon.... https://www.khaleejtimes.com/nat ... ly-drones-in-dubai-
2017-11-5
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

As long as you are being sensible and not filming in the city, filming people’s homes, women on the beach or other sensible areas you will be fine and most likely will not be bothered. In my experience the authorities only have an issue if someone complains about your flying or if it looks like you are filming local families etc that you’ll have a problem. Stick to the Mavic though, I wouldn’t fly an Inspire as a tourist without the requisite permits etc.
2017-11-5
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and advise. I have taken note and will be submitting the relevant forms over the next few days in view of having a good time
2017-11-28
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

ImProVisionAeri Posted at 2017-11-28 12:02
Thank you all for taking the time to respond and advise. I have taken note and will be submitting the relevant forms over the next few days in view of having a good time

I’m heading to the UAE from Oman tomorrow and bringing the Mavic and will be flying around Yas Island. Just gotta watch out for the few NFZs which are detailed on the DJI Flysafe page.
2017-11-29
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

2017-12-13
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Not going to be doing much flying by the looks of things
2017-12-13
Use props
ueuezaza
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457976 ft
Italy

Desert Drone Pi Posted at 2017-11-4 23:41

So theoretically no DJI drone is allowed to fly there since all have a camera onboard? right?

I still haven't understood if th
e "Application for Unmanned Aircraft Registration" (https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/eLicensing/Pages/DroneRegistration.aspx) is sufficient for recreational flying, or if I also need the "RPAS registration" (http://www.dcaa.gov.ae/en/Pages/RPASRegistration.aspx?sid=16), which takes 10-15 days and costs.

What happens if I enter the UAE without a permission? Will my drone be seized?

2017-12-26
Use props
fans9e8830e4
New

United Arab Emirates

Guys its simple:
First of DJI do not make the rules and regulations in each country....
Secondly GCAA is the Federal Authority meaning they are more superior than the DCAA (DCAA is Dubai ONLY, not the rest of UAE)
Finally the UAE is very strict on privacy laws and as clearly stated above, a drone with a camera is prohibited "No image or video capturing device shall be used when flying the UAS/Drone" I am quite surprised Dan Vector feels so confident flying around Yas Island, as the current regulation in Abu Dhabi is that no drones are to be flown unless for government related projects, that includes recreational use, furthermore the link to the news article he has sent is not applicable to Abu Dhabi, once again it is in Dubai. You need to understand each state/city has different rules and regulations.

Do not break laws, you have been warned now.
2017-12-27
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ImProVisionAeri Posted at 2017-12-13 12:00
Not going to be doing much flying by the looks of things

Ignore it. No-one cares. I fly all the time in the UAE when visiting from neighbouring Oman. The only problem you will have is flying inside the city (dumb thing to do anyway) and filming anywhere that has UAE locals and in particular families. You'll only have a problem if a local complains. So fly outside of the city and you will be absolutely fine.
2017-12-28
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ueuezaza Posted at 2017-12-26 12:56
So theoretically no DJI drone is allowed to fly there since all have a camera onboard? right?

I still haven't understood if the "Application for Unmanned Aircraft Registration" (https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/eLicensing/Pages/DroneRegistration.aspx) is sufficient for recreational flying, or if I also need the "RPAS registration" (http://www.dcaa.gov.ae/en/Pages/RPASRegistration.aspx?sid=16), which takes 10-15 days and costs.

It is the same for the entire middle east. The rules pertain to the camera and not the drone itself.

I travel in and out of Oman and the UAE all the time with my Mavic. I also fly in the UAE and Oman just using common sense. It really isn't a problem and no one cares as long as you don't be stupid with it and respect peoples property and privacy. DO NOT FILM HOUSES OR FAMILIES.

You would have a problem trying to bring a Phantom or an Inspire into the countries but the Mavic is fine.
2017-12-28
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans9e8830e4 Posted at 2017-12-27 21:49
Guys its simple:
First of DJI do not make the rules and regulations in each country....
Secondly GCAA is the Federal Authority meaning they are more superior than the DCAA (DCAA is Dubai ONLY, not the rest of UAE)

I do it all the time and so do the locals. There are thousands of drones in Dubai and you see people flying all the time. There are several drone specific shops which stock even Inspire 2 units. In fact I bought my Inspire 2 at SkydroneUAE in Burdubai.

Like I said don't be stupid and fly sensibly and outside of the city and you will be fine. Yas Island is very quiet (when the Formula 1 isn't in town) and I fly early in the morning when most people are still asleep. I've been flying along the beach in Yas Island and had UAE police drive right past me on the road and didn't bat an eyelid.

I've lived in the region for more than 15 years and flew DJI drone since the P2 without any issues. I can't register with the GCAA or the DCAA (you need to attend a course to register with the DCAA but it's CRAZY expensive) because I am not a UAE resident. Even in Oman there isn't a registration process yet.
2017-12-28
Use props
Rocky123
New

United Arab Emirates

Hi Guys,
I have the Spark and recently had it registered with the GCAA. when I spoke to them over the phone (before registering the drone), I was told that they understand that almost all drones sold /available in the UAE have inbuilt cameras but if you do not use the cameras to record videos or click snaps and fly the drone in the safe zones, they have no problem even though the drone is equipped with a camera (but it has to be registered with the GCAA and you have to mention at the time of registration that the drone has a camera).
However when you register the drone and you mention in the form that it is equipped with a camera, the T&C on the registration certificate are different from that mentioned on the website.
On the Website it states "No video or image capturing devices shall be used when flying the UAS/drone"
On the registration certificate it states "The certificate holder shall Not fly the UA equipped with any kind of cameras, projection/dropping
equipment or frequencies recording and laser."

Now I am confused and need further clarification. I have sent them an email and I am still awaiting a reply.

2017-12-28
Use props
Desert Drone Pi
lvl.3

United Arab Emirates

dan_vector Posted at 2017-12-28 05:34
I do it all the time and so do the locals. There are thousands of drones in Dubai and you see people flying all the time. There are several drone specific shops which stock even Inspire 2 units. In fact I bought my Inspire 2 at SkydroneUAE in Burdubai.

Like I said don't be stupid and fly sensibly and outside of the city and you will be fine. Yas Island is very quiet (when the Formula 1 isn't in town) and I fly early in the morning when most people are still asleep. I've been flying along the beach in Yas Island and had UAE police drive right past me on the road and didn't bat an eyelid.

You are going to ruin it for everyone soon. Yas island is on the main flight path for the runway of the international Airport...... very clever.......
2017-12-30
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Desert Drone Pi Posted at 2017-12-30 23:29
You are going to ruin it for everyone soon. Yas island is on the main flight path for the runway of the international Airport...... very clever.......

Yas Island is quite big..... You can clearly see where the issues are and if you look at the NFZ Yas Island is not marked entirely as a NFZ the flight path is over the Ferrari World and to the south of the Yas Marina Circuit. Avoid those areas and you are fine.
2017-12-31
Use props
Desert Drone Pi
lvl.3

United Arab Emirates

dan_vector Posted at 2017-12-31 00:54
Yas Island is quite big..... You can clearly see where the issues are and if you look at the NFZ Yas Island is not marked entirely as a NFZ the flight path is over the Ferrari World and to the south of the Yas Marina Circuit. Avoid those areas and you are fine.

Listen, you are breaking the Law full stop.

DJI Geo fences do not make up the law. Civil Aviation Authorities are the regulators and the enforcement, which in this case is the GCAA, you are breaking the law by flying your drone both from a privacy point of view and a civil aviation air safety point of view.

Here is an image clearly showing where GCAA consider to be a no fly zone and the ENTIRE Yas island is in it. It is people like you that are the reason we have so many rules now, so stop making things worse!

2018-1-7
Use props
fezzen333
lvl.1
Switzerland

Rocky123 Posted at 2017-12-28 08:13
Hi Guys,
I have the Spark and recently had it registered with the GCAA. when I spoke to them over the phone (before registering the drone), I was told that they understand that almost all drones sold /available in the UAE have inbuilt cameras but if you do not use the cameras to record videos or click snaps and fly the drone in the safe zones, they have no problem even though the drone is equipped with a camera (but it has to be registered with the GCAA and you have to mention at the time of registration that the drone has a camera).
However when you register the drone and you mention in the form that it is equipped with a camera, the T&C on the registration certificate are different from that mentioned on the website.

hi Rocky123
How could you register at gcaa.gov.ae.? I tried to do it but i need an UAE mobile phone number to get the activation code.

Did you already check in in Dubai Airport with the Spark?
2018-1-26
Use props
fezzen333
lvl.1
Switzerland

dan_vector Posted at 2017-12-28 05:28
It is the same for the entire middle east. The rules pertain to the camera and not the drone itself.

I travel in and out of Oman and the UAE all the time with my Mavic. I also fly in the UAE and Oman just using common sense. It really isn't a problem and no one cares as long as you don't be stupid with it and respect peoples property and privacy. DO NOT FILM HOUSES OR FAMILIES.

I would like to bring a Spark into Dubai and use it in the desert in a safe zone. do the customs at the airport care if they see it and you do not have a registration? I tried to register at gcaa.gov. but I need a residental mobile nr which I do not have.

well I think the worst that can happen, that they will detain it as long as I am in the Country and give it back as soon as I am flying out!?
2018-1-26
Use props
michaelasarkozi
New

Slovakia

fezzen333 Posted at 2018-1-26 09:41
hi Rocky123
How could you register at gcaa.gov.ae.? I tried to do it but i need an UAE mobile phone number to get the activation code.

hello, how did you manage? I am flying in the next week and dont have any infos
2018-3-5
Use props
djiuser_geJaBJ0V4anq
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2349 ft
France

Hello i will go to Maldives with my Mavic Air and then i will stop some days in  Dubai.   I will not use drone in Dubai but could you explain if it is mandatory to register it ? If they found it on my luggage how i can demonstrate that i don't want to fly??

In case i need to register , which link i have to follow? GCAA or DCAA (rpas) ?
Of course i will not fly in Dubai city , the only place could be the desert!
2018-3-28
Use props
ImProVisionAerial
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Hi Chaps,

I had no problem bringing the drone in to the country. Customs did search my luggage but had no issue with it given that it was under a certain weight including my Inspire 2.
Having contacted the aviation authority who do the registrations prior to flying out there, They told me I could only fly/register if I was from there or a national there.
That said, I had a friend photographer who lives there and advised me I could fly in the desert with no issues so I did. We went on a 4x4 desert tour and the guides had no issue with allowing me to film and were seeming used to seeing tourists  use drones there.
I am not saying its officially legal however I think they turn a bit of a blind eye to it.
Big NO NO elsewhere id say though!
One thing I would say though is that Ii would check with your airline how they wish for you to carry your drone as I was advised on the way there that it would need to go in the cabin with me but upon trying to leave dubai, they stopped me in security and took it all off me including the batteries saying the rules had changed. They made me pack it all into a bag and check it in with rest of my luggage.
I flew with Etihad FYI.
Unless you've got massive balls, I would just leave it all in your hotel room, enjoy Dubai from the ground for the few days that your there and make the most of the Maldives etc,
Take it easy,
Jacko
2018-3-29
Use props
fansbedcf790
New

Pakistan

I bought my drone on 30th march from dubai futy free traveling to my country but on thr very second day my drone hit its propeller on tree and qfter changing the propeller front right it didnt fly anymore and I dont have a dji repair shop in my country and where i can make it repair its dubai , i contacted the customer care of dji and got a grate response to repair it all the issue is dubai airport kindly i need information regarding my drone that is it any problem regarding my broken drone which I am specially bringing to dubai to repair it, what i heard from some is they dont allow in that case what would be done with ny drone and if they have any other legal procedure .
2018-4-8
Use props
artfoto
New
Australia

Hi,
I am returning to Australia stopping off in Dubai for a few days. I have a dji phantom 4 drone. I do not wish to fly it in Dubai, but I want to take it with me to the hotel, I dont want to leave it at the airport.  do I need to register it  and I note there is a service for a custom release letter.120/-AED Dubai Customs Drone Release Letter. Is this all I need?
2018-7-21
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

artfoto@bigpond Posted at 2018-7-21 11:38
Hi,
I am returning to Australia stopping off in Dubai for a few days. I have a dji phantom 4 drone. I do not wish to fly it in Dubai, but I want to take it with me to the hotel, I dont want to leave it at the airport.  do I need to register it  and I note there is a service for a custom release letter.120/-AED Dubai Customs Drone Release Letter. Is this all I need?

You'll be fine. I live in Dubai. Airport customs have never stopped me with my Mavic and Phantoms (20+ times).
2018-7-21
Use props
DJamesI
lvl.1
United Kingdom

dancopter Posted at 2018-7-21 21:44
You'll be fine. I live in Dubai. Airport customs have never stopped me with my Mavic and Phantoms (20+ times).

Hi,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but me and a mate are going to Dubai in October via Abu Dhabi (fly with etihad) and we plan on taking a Mavic Drone each so we can film quad biking and just random flying at the hotel his auntie lives at (remote hotel with 7 polo pitches, so I don't see any issues there as long as there are no games on)

The only problems I now envisage after reading this thread is the airport - can you advise if hold luggage or hand luggage would be best?

Thanks
2018-9-21
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

DJamesI Posted at 2018-9-21 04:23
Hi,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but me and a mate are going to Dubai in October via Abu Dhabi (fly with etihad) and we plan on taking a Mavic Drone each so we can film quad biking and just random flying at the hotel his auntie lives at (remote hotel with 7 polo pitches, so I don't see any issues there as long as there are no games on)

If it’s Emirates airline, the drone has to be checked. Any other airline it doesn’t matter (although batteries to go in carry on for all airlines).
2018-9-21
Use props
fans71843c94
New

Is dubai or uae regulated under FCC laws?
2019-10-14
Use props
VictoriaGarner
New

United Arab Emirates

Hi, You really have to stay abreast of all the new laws that change in the United Arab Emirates (Including drone laws). Because here more than elsewhere we like the laws to be respected. When possible, the best solution is to opt for information directly provided by a qualified lawyer. For example if you want to know all the latest laws around your hobbies, family or professional life you can contact Mr. Alsaadi, (https://www.alsaadiadvocates.com/) he will be of great use to you. Here is my opinion, with that I remain serene. Take care of yourself. Viki.
2021-4-11
Use props
kimz
New
Philippines

hi sir,,, i have a connecting flight at abudhabi from manila t turkey,? do u think i nid to register my drone at abudhabi or not? dji mini 3 pro etihad airways.. thanks
2023-5-5
Use props
royascuddeer
New

Pakistan

Like I said don't be stupid and fly sensibly and outside of the city and you will be fine. Yas Island is very quiet (when the Formula 1 isn't in town) and I fly early in the morning when most people are still asleep. I've been flying along the beach in Yas Island and had UAE police drive right past me on the road and didn't bat an eyelid.

It's interesting to hear about your experiences with flying drones in Dubai and the surrounding region. It seems that drone flying is quite popular there, with many locals and visitors engaging in the activity. It's also good to know that there are specific shops catering to drone enthusiasts, offering a range of models including the DJI Inspire 2.

You make a valid point about flying sensibly and responsibly outside of the city, particularly in quieter areas like Yas Island. Flying early in the morning when there are fewer people around is a thoughtful approach to ensure safety and minimize disturbances. It's reassuring to hear that even when encountering law enforcement, they didn't raise any concerns.

However, it's important to note that drone regulations can change over time, and it's always advisable to stay updated with the local laws and requirements. While you mention that registration with the General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) or the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority (DCAA) is expensive and not feasible for non-UAE residents, it's still crucial to adhere to any applicable rules and regulations to ensure safe and responsible drone operation.

If you plan to fly in other countries, like Oman, it's advisable to research and follow the specific regulations and registration processes of that country as well. Remember, safety should always be a top priority when operating drones to ensure a positive and incident-free experience.
2023-5-26
Use props
royascuddeer
New

Pakistan

It seems like drone flying is quite common and accepted in Dubai, with numerous locals and residents engaging in the activity. The availability of drone-specific shops and the purchase of an Inspire 2 at SkydroneUAE in Burdubai further indicates the popularity of drones in the region.

The key point emphasized in the discussion is to fly sensibly and outside of the city. By adhering to this advice and choosing quieter areas like Yas Island, one can minimize potential risks and conflicts. The mention of flying early in the morning when fewer people are present also demonstrates consideration for others.

The author shares their personal experience of flying drones along the beach in Yas Island, even with the UAE police passing by without any reaction. This suggests that as long as one follows the guidelines and flies responsibly, the authorities are generally lenient towards drone enthusiasts.

The author mentions their extensive experience of flying DJI drones in the region for over 15 years, starting from the P2 model. However, they also note the challenge of registration due to not being a UAE resident and the high cost associated with attending a course for registration with the DCAA (Dubai Civil Aviation Authority). The absence of a registration process in Oman is also highlighted.

It's important to note that regulations regarding drone usage can vary from country to country and even within different regions of a country. Therefore, it is essential for drone pilots to be aware of and comply with the specific laws and guidelines in their respective locations to ensure safe and legal operation of their drones.

The Abu Dhabi https://ksaexpatsguide.com/understanding-abu-dhabi-police-fines-a-comprehensive-guide/police have implemented strict guidelines regarding drone operation to ensure public safety and security. Violating these regulations can result in significant fines and penalties. Some of the common drone-related offenses and their corresponding fines include:

Flying without a permit: It is mandatory to obtain the necessary permits before flying a drone in Abu Dhabi. Failure to do so can lead to fines ranging from AED 20,000 to AED 50,000, depending on the severity of the offense.

Flying in restricted areas: Certain areas in Abu Dhabi are designated as no-fly zones due to security concerns or the presence of critical infrastructure. Flying a drone in these restricted areas can result in fines ranging from AED 10,000 to AED 30,000.

Flying near airports or helipads: Flying drones in proximity to airports or helipads poses a serious risk to aviation safety. Violators can face fines ranging from AED 20,000 to AED 30,000.

Endangering public safety: Operating drones in a manner that endangers public safety, such as flying over crowds or near congested areas, is strictly prohibited. Offenders may face fines ranging from AED 5,000 to AED 10,000.

Violating privacy: Capturing images or videos of individuals without their consent, infringing upon their privacy, is not permitted. Violators can be fined up to AED 20,000.

It is essential to note that these fines are subject to change and may vary based on the specific circumstances and severity of the offense. The Abu Dhabi police are committed to ensuring the safe and responsible use of drones within the emirate, and strict enforcement measures are in place to maintain public safety.

Before flying a drone in Abu Dhabi, it is advisable to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the local regulations, obtain the necessary permits, and exercise caution to avoid any violations. By adhering to the rules and guidelines, drone enthusiasts can enjoy their hobby while respecting the laws of Abu Dhabi.
2023-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules