P4 Video Transmission Signal Drop Outs and Degradation Since Upgrade
4534 23 2017-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

I"ve had a P4 since April and one of the things that I have been very impressed with is the quality of video, not only written to the SD card, but the video that is transmitted during my flights. I've never had any issues with this signal at all, and I have rarely even gotten a flickering screen. I've flown over 2.3 miles away with absolutely no drop of this signal.

Since that last firmware update (The one where you had to sign into your account or you were limited to something like 100 feet altitude), I have constant problems with the image transmission quality and the seemingly loss of strength of this signal. I now lose this feed when the drone is 100 feet above me and about 400 feet away. I lose the feed compeletly just about every time I fly now. How can this be? You would think this would be a specification of the hardware itself, the antennaes to be exact. Now, it's as if I have a new and inferior image transmission technology installed.

I am flying from a variety of sites. This is not something that is area specific. I use to routinely fly over 2 miles from my home point, and never have loss of video signal. Now, I get half that distance on that same flight, if I am lucky.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this problem? I am using an iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11 running. I'm sorry I don't have the RC or the drone firmware versions handy right now. I will post that in a follow up post.
2017-11-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

What is the APP version? Can you still control the drone when you lost the video feed?  Have you checked the HD settings on the APP?
2017-11-1
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-11-1 18:38
What is the APP version? Can you still control the drone when you lost the video feed?  Have you checked the HD settings on the APP?

App version is 4.1.12
Remote contoller Firmware version is 1.9.3

Air Craft firmware version is 02.00.0106

Yes, I can still control the drone when I lose the video transmission. I usually just switch to the map display on the screen and fly back, or to an area where I have a better signal.

Again, what's odd is that these are not new areas I am flying in. These are areas with hours and hours of flight time with a historically good video signal. Now, they are spotty at best.

Something has changed here that has degraded the video tranmission strength/range severely.

If I go to the Image Transmission Settings in the App, I get a screen showing signal strength on various channel. I have always left this on "Auto". I have never meddled with these settings. I have never had a need. There are channels 13-20 listed. There are some bars above the numbers indicating signal strenght/clarity I am guessing. Very few have much of a green bar above them. Red bars, yes.

So what does this mean? How can I tweek these settings to make the video signal more consistent like before this firmware upgrade?
2017-11-2
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2017-11-2 05:27
App version is 4.1.12
Remote contoller Firmware version is 1.9.3

Same problem here! Need a solution.
2017-11-3
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

And here we sit....waiting for something to happen and someone to reply....
This is great. So glad I spent the money on this drone.
2017-11-4
Use props
fans63a221f4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15230 ft
United States

Yep, same problem here but with my P4P and with my P3A. Wish they would get a fix soon. Hope we’re not out of luck. Expensive brick.
2017-11-4
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

I'm just curious, are you folks also using iPhones or Apple Tablets when this issue occurs? Is this something software driven between the RC and the iPhone/Tablets running iOS 11?

DJI Mods, how about a little help and direction here people. Really poor customer service when you have a product that is functioning properly one day, and then after a forced firmware update, it turns into a very expensive headache and aggravation.
2017-11-4
Use props
ploopter
New
Flight distance : 853845 ft
United States

Well…, I am glad after reading these posts to see that it is not just me and that this is not an issue with just my Quad.  For the sake of diagnosing the problem, I have tried numerous configurations for camera settings, different things/settings on or off (Obstacle Avoidance), IMU Cal, Compass Cal, Gimbal Cal.  Nothing seems to work.  As described in the initial post I have the same issues.  I do notice that with mine, first the signal drops, screen goes blank, then black and white, comes back minimized with view from the camera pointing down and left or right, then signal comes back, camera acts as though it does during initial startup.  I have noticed that with mine, when I first start the video recording, it takes 7 to 10 seconds before recording starts and sometimes it just spins if you will and never starts.
The point was made that there could be a firmware and iOS (iPhone/iPad) issue.  I have read on other forms that this is a known issue (not with just Apple devices) and not necessarily losing video signal.  The point was made that with all the computing processing that is going on between the devices there will be issues; and with the programmers/coders writing al that code, there will be issues.  Something to consider and I would think that DJI would eventually come up with a fix.  Especially if we are repeat customers (more business) and some of us are making a living with these devices.

Another note; I am still under warranty - have sent an E-mail/Issue/concern to DJI - My ship is working fine otherwise – more to follow…  Good Luck All…  Ploptor
2017-11-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BearDrone Posted at 2017-11-4 16:59
I'm just curious, are you folks also using iPhones or Apple Tablets when this issue occurs? Is this something software driven between the RC and the iPhone/Tablets running iOS 11?

DJI Mods, how about a little help and direction here people. Really poor customer service when you have a product that is functioning properly one day, and then after a forced firmware update, it turns into a very expensive headache and aggravation.

Hi. I personally don't believe it's related to the smart device (phone or tablet), other than the CPU now has to be beefy to manage the video decoding demands of DJI GO 4.1.x. You're basically stuffed if your Apple device has less than a A8X CPU currently, for example.

You could try refreshing the firmware in both your P4 and RC, and then doing a manual re-link. Oddly, some software updates don't seem to work reliably for me first go, so I now do an update and then a refresh each time i.e. update twice.

Another option is to try another app to confirm that it's not the app but the signal dropping out. I know that Litchi doesn't have the video decoding issues that GO has, but that's just one cause for video drops - genuine degradation of signal strength or quality is the other. I have Litchi too, but yet to try it again with the current P4 beta firmware.
2017-11-5
Use props
fans872ab42b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 814 ft

Oman

Same issue with my phantom
2017-11-6
Use props
DIott3113
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1797516 ft
United States

I'm seeing to a degree the same green screen issue when using Litchi and FPV Camera for DJI.  The problem occurs more extensively when I use what are surely more CPU intensive features like Point-of-View in DJI GO and Focus or Orbit in Litchi.  I have an ipad 2 with an A7X processor so definitely a little light on CPU but on the other hand DJI GO worked great using all features (plus prior to this issue I had video caching turned on, Airplane Mode turned off, Bluetooth on, all of which have been flipped now to try to improve performance issues)  for months now, prior to the latest updates to DJI GO and IOS.  I explicitly told DJI Support that if the A7X isn't going to be adequate just let me know and I'd upgrade, but the rep said that my tablet was in the recommended list.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans1744307a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68389 ft

United States

Yep, Same thing happen to me.. All was well with the aircraft, no video signal issues until the last firmware update then just constant drop outs even a few feet away.  I'm using the same Ipad as always  my current Ipad version is 10.1.1 ; My DJI APP Version is 3.1.22 and my Remote Controller is 1.9.2. Any clue what is the issue, any fixes out yet or is it just me ?  No fun flying this way, parked for now!
2017-11-24
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

fans1744307a Posted at 2017-11-24 11:45
Yep, Same thing happen to me.. All was well with the aircraft, no video signal issues until the last firmware update then just constant drop outs even a few feet away.  I'm using the same Ipad as always  my current Ipad version is 10.1.1 ; My DJI APP Version is 3.1.22 and my Remote Controller is 1.9.2. Any clue what is the issue, any fixes out yet or is it just me ?  No fun flying this way, parked for now!

I know this thread has lingered for a few months, but I still have the issue, and with several iPhone iOS updates under the belt, I'm convinced this is firmware related to the P4. I've reloaded both for RC and AC and I still do not have near the signal consistency and strength I had prior to this debacle. Really disappointed. It's one thing if it was always spotty, but to go from near perfect to this is just frustrating. I realize it's just the cache on my phone and the card .mov is fine, but I have lost range to either take pictures or start or stop a video, so it does effect the overall photography/videography experience.
2018-1-9
Use props
Bigmouth
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Every update of firmware decreased my range. I am so disappointed with Dji, hopeless company.
2018-1-19
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

Has anyone used those parabolic windsurfer type antennae to mitigate this signal loss issue? I'm thinking of giving them a try.
2018-1-20
Use props
rvank60-sp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 812858 ft
Canada

I Have had so many problems with my very expensive phantom 4 right out of the box than can not be dealt with that and now I don't even care anymore. I have bought the product. Tried to get it to work right by going through every means that one could. I don't even care anymore. Come to the realization that in life that this stuff happens. If I care, I will just go nuts.   . I have learn my lesson about buying a DJI products. Time to get back to sanity.
2018-1-21
Use props
GolfPro88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1116017 ft
United States

Bigmouth Posted at 2018-1-19 08:05
Every update of firmware decreased my range. I am so disappointed with Dji, hopeless company.

Same here, I get the "weak transmission" warnings and "aircraft disconnected" just these last two days, this had never happened before. The video feed has become a joke. Please give us all the beta .700 please! Cugolfn5@hotmail.com
2018-1-21
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 534006 ft
United States

Just adding to this little bit older post - I have found this issue to reoccur with the latest firmware and DJI GO App as well (02.000.0770 and 4.1.22).  Impossibly jerky video when only 100' away ...

Switching over to Litchi eliminates the problem for me.

I had this problem a few months ago and one of the firmware updates corrected it.   I do have an older iPad Mini but shouldn't seem necessary to buy a new iPad for every firmware upgrade.  For kicks I'll do a test with my new Ipad Pro and see how it works then.
2018-2-3
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

IndianaDroner Posted at 2018-2-3 12:09
Just adding to this little bit older post - I have found this issue to reoccur with the latest firmware and DJI GO App as well (02.000.0770 and 4.1.22).  Impossibly jerky video when only 100' away ...

Yes, I've been considering going over to Litchi or similar, and see how that does.

Good thought.
2018-2-3
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 534006 ft
United States

IndianaDroner Posted at 2018-2-3 12:09
Just adding to this little bit older post - I have found this issue to reoccur with the latest firmware and DJI GO App as well (02.000.0770 and 4.1.22).  Impossibly jerky video when only 100' away ...

It looks like DJI GO 4.2.5 corrected the problem with the iPad Mini.     The iPad Pro worked correctly as well.
2018-2-3
Use props
Nabe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1627031 ft
Japan

IndianaDroner Posted at 2018-2-3 19:20
It looks like DJI GO 4.2.5 corrected the problem with the iPad Mini.     The iPad Pro worked correctly as well.

I bought CrystalSky due to this problem.
2018-2-3
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think this bad videotransmission all has got to do with the app. After update 4.1.15 , it all started , before all was ok. Also no problem with litchie. So it must be the app. I already posted several posts regarding this . Or dji never answers or dji asked all the detsils again and again , but they never informed if engineers are aware of this and working on this. They are too busy with promoting / solving issues with the mavic air or designing new stuff . And leave the phantom users stand in the cold. One thing i don’t understand is that the p4p ( much more expensive drone)transmission is much worse than the mavic transmission, so why does dji not use ovusync for the phantom?
2018-2-4
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-2-4 00:13
I think this bad videotransmission all has got to do with the app. After update 4.1.15 , it all started , before all was ok. Also no problem with litchie. So it must be the app. I already posted several posts regarding this . Or dji never answers or dji asked all the detsils again and again , but they never informed if engineers are aware of this and working on this. They are too busy with promoting / solving issues with the mavic air or designing new stuff . And leave the phantom users stand in the cold. One thing i don’t understand is that the p4p ( much more expensive drone)transmission is much worse than the mavic transmission, so why does dji not use ovusync for the phantom?

I think you bring up a good point in regards to DJI putting most of their resources into developing and marketing new drones to create the most revenue they can. I don't blame them, but at some point you are going to hit a point where the latest greatest thing will not bump sales as much as you want.

Great companies have great customer service. Just ask Apple. If DJI wants to continue their dominance in the consumer drone market, they MUST get better customer service and access to help other than posting in this forum and hoping another user can solve the issue.

That's not customer service. That's dropping the ball and kicking the can down the road. I hope they realize this soon.
2018-2-4
Use props
Justin Burnett
New

United States

I have the same problem, my maverick air flew perfect right out the box I want extremely hi and along way away from were I was with no problems, I fell in love ..., then I updated the firmware and now as soon as I start flying it loses video transmission,   10ft in front of me 15 foot above me and the video cuts out,the quad still flys but I am unable to see ,record or take photos ...something with the firmware upgrade screwed up the video signal transmission.....I'm so disappointed and depressed....I dont make much money so it was alot for me to save and buy this, please I just wanna enjoy this like I did the very first time
2019-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules