7686 16 2017-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd5f58e19
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37986 ft
Portugal

Hello there

I was wondering, as a previous p3 Standard owner with 2k capability (and later on, a p4)... are there any plans from DJI to update the Spark sensor to record video in 2k?
I ask this, knowing of course the obvious differences between cameras, models, etc. But the sensor on the Spark seems capable of 2k. Is it for processing power restrictions, battery life, heat dissipation reasons? What are your thoughts on this?

However, if some of us are able to remember, the P3 Advanced was lauched with 1080p recording capability only, and was later on updated via firmware to unlock the 2k.
2k would improve greatly this already great little flying camera. As we are on the subject, how about 1080p24 and 60fps?

Thank you all. Good job DJI (please add ALL flying modes to the Spark -> POI, Home Lock, Course Lock, with speed control, etc).

2017-11-2
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

The sensor is capable of 2.4k at 60fps, so it stands to reason that DJI could add the 60fps option and keep a lesser degree of digital image stabilization.  DJI could also give us 4k unstabilized, but just seeing what the image looks like in still picture mode hovering in place, its not really workable.  It would be nice to see a 3-axis gimbal on the next version of spark, or even some more roll travel in the current one.  

BUT - none of that is likely until the mavic, or whatever drone is in that part of the market, is much higher spec than the current mavic pro /pro platinum.  

2017-11-2
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

I think the obstacle is not technical but `economical'. DJI definitely does simulations of an impact the introduction of certain features to a lower-class product would have on selling of higher-class products (in particular Mavic). As long as the simulation suggests that the overall company's income is higher when crippling the lower-class product, we will not see 2k video, nor raw photos, nor more advanced flying modes.
2017-11-2
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

_pk Posted at 2017-11-2 05:03
I think the obstacle is not technical but `economical'. DJI definitely does simulations of an impact the introduction of certain features to a lower-class product would have on selling of higher-class products (in particular Mavic). As long as the simulation suggests that the overall company's income is higher when crippling the lower-class product, we will not see 2k video, nor raw photos, nor more advanced flying modes.

exactly - if dji put all this features in spark, who will buy mavic?
2017-11-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

TexasAerials Posted at 2017-11-2 04:59
The sensor is capable of 2.4k at 60fps, so it stands to reason that DJI could add the 60fps option and keep a lesser degree of digital image stabilization.  DJI could also give us 4k unstabilized, but just seeing what the image looks like in still picture mode hovering in place, its not really workable.  It would be nice to see a 3-axis gimbal on the next version of spark, or even some more roll travel in the current one.  

BUT - none of that is likely until the mavic, or whatever drone is in that part of the market, is much higher spec than the current mavic pro /pro platinum.

Your conclusion is very true for simple marketing reasons. Ideally we all would love to see a "Spavic", means present form factor of Spark combined with most Mavic capabilities. Many of us even are aware that already now the Spark has so far locked capabilities of the Mavic since they share without doubt many technical components. The challenge for DJI is to maintain sufficient difference in terms of capabilities between the two models in order to be able to sell them both with a reasonable price difference. Once a Mavic 2 will arrive on the Market, there certainly will be opportunities to release more features of the "old" Mavic also on Spark. And of course DJI has to keep a few things in the back of their hands to come with a future Spark 2. This is marketing, not what would be technically possible already now.
2017-11-2
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

medyq69 Posted at 2017-11-2 05:13
exactly - if dji put all this features in spark, who will buy mavic?

Still the flighttime, the range and the stability of the connection could be a reason!
2017-11-2
Use props
M1dn1ght N1nj4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11522 ft
United States

I'm pretty sure the biggest reason to hold back on raising the specs on the Spark is from a business standpoint.  If you raise the specs on the lowest device to be AT or BETTER than a more expensive model, then there would be no reason for people to buy the next model up.  Instead of paying Mavic prices, you could buy the Spark and get the SAME specs.  DJI would have just lost the profit difference, and would make the Mavic obsolete (no need for two devices with the same specs).  If you want higher specs, you need to upgrade to a better drone.

It's kind of like going to McDonalds, and asking for "just the buns", and paying ONLY for the buns, then asking them to just "add in all the other stuff to make a Big Mac", just because they have the ability, but you don't want to pay for the extra stuff.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the specs stay the same.  From their business standpoint, it's a smart move.

And for god sake, can we just stop with the million posts asking about PAL support, 4K recording, and other spec upgrades this isn't going to receive.  They even told us several times they weren't going to do it.  Asking again and again isn't going to magically make it happen.
2017-11-2
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-2 05:15
Your conclusion is very true for simple marketing reasons. Ideally we all would love to see a "Spavic", means present form factor of Spark combined with most Mavic capabilities. Many of us even are aware that already now the Spark has so far locked capabilities of the Mavic since they share without doubt many technical components. The challenge for DJI is to maintain sufficient difference in terms of capabilities between the two models in order to be able to sell them both with a reasonable price difference. Once a Mavic 2 will arrive on the Market, there certainly will be opportunities to release more features of the "old" Mavic also on Spark. And of course DJI has to keep a few things in the back of their hands to come with a future Spark 2. This is marketing, not what would be technically possible already now.

true, I don't think we'll see a mavic 2 and/or a spark 2 until after we have a phantom 5 pro out, with 4k 60fps, larger sensor, etc.  at which point we could see the 1" sensor from the current p4p in the next mavic, and that makes room for possibly a spark 2 with more of the current mavic pro features.  
2017-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You would think that dji could and would add these features to Camera and most would agree with you that it’s no real problem to get it sorted.
I think it’s more to do with getting all of their drones up to date , and not having spark offering more than Mavic with a much lower base price, I hope as they beef up Mavic as we can see stuff like Quickshot is now available on Mavic , then we might see them offer more photography options on Spark, dji tech is overall excellent it sometimes can be slow to be introduced, I think that if more and more people request these options as you have done, then dji might sit up and listen.
With the present photography options on the spark it’s amazing what has and can be done to achieve great results, but with more options the sky is the limit (pardon the pun).
Good job with your thread.
2017-11-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mostly business I guess.
Although I feel they are pushing this a bit too far maybe.
2017-11-2
Use props
fansd5f58e19
lvl.2
Portugal

Thank you all for your thoughts. Fly safe.
2017-11-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thank you for bringing us the attention. This feedback will be transferred to the engineers, I hope more functions will be enabled in the future.
2017-11-5
Use props
fansd5f58e19
lvl.2
Portugal

Thank you DJI Thor
2017-11-5
Use props
Sidd Finch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-2 05:15
Your conclusion is very true for simple marketing reasons. Ideally we all would love to see a "Spavic", means present form factor of Spark combined with most Mavic capabilities. Many of us even are aware that already now the Spark has so far locked capabilities of the Mavic since they share without doubt many technical components. The challenge for DJI is to maintain sufficient difference in terms of capabilities between the two models in order to be able to sell them both with a reasonable price difference. Once a Mavic 2 will arrive on the Market, there certainly will be opportunities to release more features of the "old" Mavic also on Spark. And of course DJI has to keep a few things in the back of their hands to come with a future Spark 2. This is marketing, not what would be technically possible already now.

Would the battery life suffer if the Spark had a firmware upgrade to 2k 60fps? For me that would be the ultimate setup.... well that is until the next DJI release that features 8k.... lol

Sidd
2017-12-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I don't think it would suffer, but others might know better than me.
2017-12-14
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

I just want 1080p25fps!...
2017-12-14
Use props
eqsOne
lvl.1
Germany

lafoto Posted at 2017-12-14 13:52
I just want 1080p25fps!...

Can't believe they still have not added this by now.
Any no-name-bubblegum-kids-cam can dial beween 30 and 25p. It's a standard missing, like having no shutter release button on an entry-level Canon, fearing it might affect 5D sales.
Can't judge if this is actually a clever marketing move but it appears to be quite peculiar indeed.
2018-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules