Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hollywood Sign
2404 5 2017-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
33 UAV 6
lvl.1

United States

I'm planning to go to Hollywood sign next week. I recently read most threads here but most of them are 2+ years ago and didn't mention the launch location. I need to know where is the best place (closest area if possible) to launch a drone and fly to capture the images of Hollywood. Any suggestion or recommendation are appreciated. Thanks!
2017-11-2
Use props
Kuya Kano
First Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

I use to live in Glendale on the other side of the Hill.  I know it is not "line of sight", but I've seen many people flying around the parks on that side of the hill.  Because the devil's landmark is situated between the Burbank and LAX airports and 7.5 million people using the same frequencies as our DJI remotes broadcast on, my best suggestion is to try to be as close as you can.  I have also seen someone launch from Griffith observatory as well, but don't know if they had special permits or not.
2017-11-2
Use props
33 UAV
lvl.1

United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-2 10:20
I use to live in Glendale on the other side of the Hill.  I know it is not "line of sight", but I've seen many people flying around the parks on that side of the hill.  Because the devil's landmark is situated between the Burbank and LAX airports and 7.5 million people using the same frequencies as our DJI remotes broadcast on, my best suggestion is to try to be as close as you can.  I have also seen someone launch from Griffith observatory as well, but don't know if they had special permits or not.

Is it possible to launch from Lake Hollywood Park which seems to be closest one and accessible?
2017-11-2
Use props
Kuya Kano
First Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

33 UAV Posted at 2017-11-2 11:57
Is it possible to launch from Lake Hollywood Park which seems to be closest one and accessible?

"possible" is a good question.  I think it wouldn't be a problem to launch and land from there, just not buzzing around everyone in the park.  The security there always seemed relaxed when I use to hang out in that area.
2017-11-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Other than the launching place,  I will also recommend checking the No Fly Zone area of Hollywood to make sure that you are able to fly there. http://www.dji.com/cn/flysafe/geo-map
2017-11-5
Use props
33 UAV
lvl.1

United States

I flew my drone to there last week and captured few pictures. Scaring experience was when I tried to fly my drone closer to Hollywood sign but then the RC was completely disconnected and blacked out. I wasn't able to have it automatically fly back to home until I toggled my RC sticks. It flew back safely. I tried it again to get it closer but same happened again. I believed there were a couple of RC towers above that sign interfere my drone signals. Not worthy to fly it closer anyways.

https://www.airvuz.com/video/Hol ... ccbbb2c0b2ee1dbf729
2017-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules