Focus not working at all !
3977 28 2017-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217 ft
Mexico

Hi! I just bought a Mavic Pro, I received today and when testing the flight is good but the camera is out of focus, and I cannot make it focus in any way, even in manual mode!
I touch the screen and nothing happens, is not even trying to focus the image

I have tried refreshing the firmware (have the last version available for me: V01.04.0000, then doing the IMU calibration, then the Gimbal calibration and finally reset the camera, nothing changed.

Is this a problem that I can fix somehow? or I need to change the drone?

2017-11-2
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can custom set up the "C1" button on the back of the RC so you can focus as you take photos or videos (that's how I have mine set up and it works fine). Unfortunately it's something you're going to have to continuously do to get focused footage. If you're looking for a much better camera then you'll need to step up to the P4P.
2017-11-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

What device and what version Go4 app are you using? This could be a compatibility problem. Need more information. If you have the Auto Focus Center turned on it should focus to infinity with a tap on the focus point on your device.
2017-11-2
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-2 15:37
You can custom set up the "C1" button on the back of the RC so you can focus as you take photos or videos (that's how I have mine set up and it works fine). Unfortunately it's something you're going to have to continuously do to get focused footage. If you're looking for a much better camera then you'll need to step up to the P4P.

No, because manual focus is not working either, the focus is not working at all, is not even trying to get focus with autofocus or with manual mode when I move it manually, doing nothing
2017-11-2
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-2 15:39
No, because manual focus is not working either, the focus is not working at all, is not even trying to get focus with autofocus or with manual mode when I move it manually, doing nothing

oh wow, that sounds 'possibly' like a bigger problem if it can't focus at all?

......worth a try...have you tried calibrating the gimbal?
2017-11-2
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

Yes, tried IMU and Gimbal calibration multiple times, tried firmware refresh and camera settings refresh too, is my first day with the drone and is not working!

I'm using Samsing S6 with DJI Go 4.1.10
2017-11-2
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

When you say "not working at all" in regards to manual focus, does the focus change if you move the slider in manual mode or does nothing happen?  Manual mode is tricky. Try turning on "focus peaking" and focus until you see it peak, if you can at least get the focus to change but it's not looking good.
2017-11-2
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-11-2 16:19
When you say "not working at all" in regards to manual focus, does the focus change if you move the slider in manual mode or does nothing happen?  Manual mode is tricky. Try turning on "focus peaking" and focus until you see it peak, if you can at least get the focus to change but it's not looking good.

No, it does nothing, not matter if it's manual mode or AF mode.
I move the slider from near to infinity and I cannot see any difference, or any try to adjust the focus at least
The same with AF, I touch the screen on different parts, I can see the green rectangle, I can hear the beep, but focus does not move at all

Here is a video showing it:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8RPJy8JCt4PN3Y4VTd6Y094b1k

(I've also tried downgradint the firmware to 1.03 but focus still not working)
2017-11-2
Use props
fansdf099539
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40863 ft
United States

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-2 17:39
I move the slider from near to infinity and I cannot see any difference, or any try to adjust the focus at least
The same with AF, I touch the screen on different parts, I can see the green rectangle, I can hear the beep, but focus does not move at all

Ok, I'm going to suggest something that may appear obvious, but could be a problem.

The mavic comes with a clear plastic film that protects the lens. Have you confirmed that it is removed.

Sometimes a simple oversight can cause an issue.

2017-11-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Could you please upload some original images or videos from the SD card to the Google Drive for analysis?
2017-11-2
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Can you try it outside after resetting the camera again. It is just that in your video, you had iso 400 and what looked like a shutter speed of 12.5.  
2017-11-2
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64127 ft
Singapore

I was helping my friend setup his drone and had exactly the same cannot focus issue.  I rebooted the bird, rc and phone. It works after the reboot. Did you try rebooting ?
2017-11-3
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

fansdf099539 Posted at 2017-11-2 18:10
Ok, I'm going to suggest something that may appear obvious, but could be a problem.

The mavic comes with a clear plastic film that protects the lens. Have you confirmed that it is removed.

Yes the plastic in front of the lens was removed
2017-11-3
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-2 21:56
Can you try it outside after resetting the camera again. It is just that in your video, you had iso 400 and what looked like a shutter speed of 12.5.

Outside was doing the same thing
2017-11-3
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

romeotango Posted at 2017-11-3 04:30
I was helping my friend setup his drone and had exactly the same cannot focus issue.  I rebooted the bird, rc and phone. It works after the reboot. Did you try rebooting ?

what do you mean with rebooting? if you mean shutting down and turning on again yes, I did that multiple times
2017-11-3
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-11-2 19:20
Could you please upload some original images or videos from the SD card to the Google Drive for analysis?

This is an original size image from outside
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ddGWbGEafjUL8ox2
2017-11-3
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

I was searching similar problems, and this is what I found:

1. Firmware problem (this usually is the case if the camera was working and stop working after the update)
// my dron is new, detected the blur on the first flight, I tried the most recen firmware and also downgrading to a previous one, none of them are working

2. Calibration problem. Steps to fix: Refresh Firmware using DJI Assistant on computer. IMU Calibration. Gimbal Calibration. Reset Camera settings.
// Tried this multiple times, focus is not working

3. Hardware problem. If this is the case you need to change the camera, or request a drone replace to DJI

Sadly I think my problem is "3" so I'm going to return my drone
2017-11-3
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Singapore

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-3 06:16
what do you mean with rebooting? if you mean shutting down and turning on again yes, I did that multiple times

Yes, shut down all three devices (bird, rc and phone).
After everything is up and running, did you set to Auto and try to focus on something ?
2017-11-3
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Singapore

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-3 06:16

After everything is up and running, did you set to Auto and try to focus on something ?
2017-11-3
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

romeotango Posted at 2017-11-3 09:07

Yes of course, it is also shown on the video. And I also tried with Manual focus, manual focus should work always, and was doing nothing.
The camera is not even trying to focus.
2017-11-3
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-3 11:38
Yes of course, it is also shown on the video. And I also tried with Manual focus, manual focus should work always, and was doing nothing.

I think it might be time to contact support as that focus is not good and should be fixed.
2017-11-3
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Singapore

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-3 11:38

HI, in that case, I guess my friend just got lucky.  For your case, yes, maybe need to send in for checkup.
2017-11-6
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I returned the drone to my seller, and when he tested it the camera was working!! in AF and in MF too, and he didn't do anything, just turned on and tested.

Why this could be happening?? You can see my test here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ddGWbGEafjUL8ox2
It was not working neither with MF nor AF, I did multiple resets, firmware updates and downgrades, IMU and Gimbal Calibration, tested outside and inside, tested with RC and with WIFI etc, never working.

Is possible that the error was due to my phone? I'm using Galaxy S6 with Android 7, I guess should not depend on that, but is the only thing I can think, why it was not working for me and yes for him??
2017-11-7
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Did seller just say that or did you see with your own eyes?
2017-11-7
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-7 12:29
Did seller just say that or did you see with your own eyes?

I saw that with my own eyes, he sent me a video, and there is not reason to lie me because he changed the drone by a new one.

How can that be possible? I did thousands of tests, the results were always the same, no focus at all.
What could be the cause then? Why was not working for me? could be the smartphone the cause?
2017-11-7
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-7 15:47
I saw that with my own eyes, he sent me a video, and there is not reason to lie me because he changed the drone by a new one.

How can that be possible? I did thousands of tests, the results were always the same, no focus at all.

lol no idea but glad everything is fine now.
2017-11-7
Use props
fansdf099539
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40863 ft
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-7 15:53
lol no idea but glad everything is fine now.

DJI and android phones work nicely together. Indeed, the Crystal Sky is made to work with Android.

It is possible that the DJI app was corrupted on install.

An option not suggested, which I have seen work in the past
Uninstall the DJI app
Do a complete reset on the remote.
Reinstall app and reconnect to drone

I have had issues with software that cleared on a complete software reinstall.

Glad everything is working.
2017-11-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-7 15:47

That's a very weird case -- the still you posted looked a lot to me like the decentered lens problem where one side or corner is in focus with the rest out of focus, perhaps a bump on the way to the exchange caused the lens to return to the proper position? Doesn't explain why the manual focus didn't appear to be effectual.

Glad you were able to get a replacement.
2017-11-8
Use props
djiuser_LBV8vTa
New

United States

I'm having the same problem you are experiencing.

I just got my Mavic pro from Newegg. No matter WHAT I try, the AF or MF does absolutely nothing. Zero effect on focus. It's driving me crazy.

I could try installing the app on another device, but beyond that I have calibrated everything.

I may have to send it in for an exchange, sadly.
2017-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules