Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
For Those Who Want to Fly Indoors
3627 14 2017-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Just bought one of these, as we all know most of us can't get a reasonable GPS lock indoors, this relatively inexpensive GPS repeater works great, you can get cable extensions if you need them. Set it up in my home on the first floor in my garage (which is located under 2nd floor bedroom) to test it, works awesome, grabbed 18 satellites within a couple of minutes full GPS P Mode function. I like being able to fly indoors in P mode for testing purposes, setting up preferences ect. Also will prove very handy commercial interior work.

GPS Indoor Reapeter

Review Video, the video is not drone specific but the Mavic pick up the GPS signal perfectly, like flying in the back yard. Obviously you have to disable the OAS & VPS but she has a solid hover.
2017-11-3
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Captain
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Sounds awesome. Do you disable OAS just because of the alert noises near walls and such?  Would you still disable if you were in a large indoor area?   For VPS, I saw a video where a fellow flew over a window sill.  VPS saw the sudden appearance of  wood underneath and that caused the quad to rise quickly and it hit the top of the window as a result.  Is that also your reason for disabling VPS?
2017-11-3
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-3 17:46
Sounds awesome. Do you disable OAS just because of the alert noises near walls and such?  Would you still disable if you were in a large indoor area?   For VPS, I saw a video where a fellow flew over a window sill.  VPS saw the sudden appearance of  wood underneath and that caused the quad to rise quickly and it hit the top of the window as a result.  Is that also your reason for disabling VPS?

Yes for exactly both those reasons.
2017-11-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-4 00:43
Yes for exactly both those reasons.

Does the Mavic's GPS location stay the same as the outdoor-mounted antenna the entire time?
2017-11-4
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice gadget and thanks for the info.  I would use for testing purposes as well.
2017-11-4
Use props
fans015d3523
lvl.4
Flight distance : 467799 ft
Spain

And the electomagnetic interferences ?.
2017-11-4
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-4 04:21
Does the Mavic's GPS location stay the same as the outdoor-mounted antenna the entire time?

I have only checked it in my garage, so I wouldn't expect the GPS location to change much, but if I had the room to fly around I am sure it would as it is receiving GPS signal from the receiver outside via the cable to the transmitter inside the house of which the GPS in the Mavic sees that signal and thinks it is sitting outside.

All the repeater does is bring the GPS signal from outside to inside and broadcast it indoors.
2017-11-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great piece of kit thanks for sharing, would like to see you demonstrate with the Mavic . Great job.
2017-11-4
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

fans015d3523 Posted at 2017-11-4 04:27
And the electomagnetic interferences ?.

Lifted the Mavic up about 2 meters inside, steady as a rock, no interference warnings. Without the repeater it would default to "atti" "No GPS Signal Fly with Caution"
2017-11-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-4 04:40
I have only checked it in my garage, so I wouldn't expect the GPS location to change much, but if I had the room to fly around I am sure it would as it is receiving GPS signal from the receiver outside via the cable to the transmitter inside the house of which the GPS in the Mavic sees that signal and thinks it is sitting outside.

All the repeater does is bring the GPS signal from outside to inside and broadcast it indoors.

That's what I thought. The reason I asked is because when it's in P-mode the Mavic normally uses GPS, VPS, or a combination of the two to hover / maintain in position, but if the GPS coordinates never change and VPS is disabled I'd expect it to have a more difficult time holding a given position.
2017-11-4
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

off topic sorry:

wow look at all the HAM gear! What class are you?
and thank you for the info video
2017-11-4
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-4 06:40
off topic sorry:

wow look at all the HAM gear! What class are you?

Not my video Rolling, I was looking for a way to get a GPS signal indoors so I could test out my DJI products without slamming into everything in close quarters and found this repeater. Works pretty good so far, wife won't let me fly in the house, she's afraid I'll skin the cat alive !! So I'm restricted to the garage, good enough for fiddling with settings while the quad is airborne.
2017-11-4
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-4 12:03
Not my video Rolling, I was looking for a way to get a GPS signal indoors so I could test out my DJI products without slamming into everything in close quarters and found this repeater. Works pretty good so far, wife won't let me fly in the house, she's afraid I'll skin the cat alive !! So I'm restricted to the garage, good enough for fiddling with settings while the quad is airborne.

ah k lol
ya i go to the garage for messing with settings also. I have never wanted to fly indoors but will keep that product in mind if i ever do.....
2017-11-4
Use props
Twiggy-Fpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27520 ft

What kind of Transmission distance are to getting from the repeater .... How far can you fly away fro it before loss of signal
2018-9-4
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Interesting idea. Nice to know it you need GPS and your in the basement that there is a solution.
Thanks for sharing.
2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules