Why did my Mavic lose connection?
1127 9 2017-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd6ae886e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24183 ft
United Kingdom

So I haven't managed to get my mavic out for a few months as ive been busy, but finally found some time to escape to the lake district with it. Updated all the firmware and got it ready and we took off to what seemed like a nice area to get some footage. Took off and before i flew too far, i hung around to ensure all of the settings were correct as its been a while since I have flown! Maybe 30 seconds in, my mavic disconnects from the controller and phone and hovers over the lake for a while as i watched cautiously from the side. Eventually it returned home but had to do an emergency landing in my hand as it was drifting towards the trees to my rear and didnt want to fully land. I reviewed the footage to see if i could figure out what went wrong, and i have no idea! Signal was good, 16 gps, then straight to disconnected with no warning. The drone was maybe 20 feet away from us so im a little lost and worried about getting it out again until i can figure out what happened! Any ideas? Thanks guys.
2017-11-4
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

You only lost connection between your phone and the controller could have still flown back. You need to get rid of that side USB cable and use the bottom USB port with a decent quality cable.
2017-11-4
Use props
fansd6ae886e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I couldn't control the drone either once it was disconnected, I attempted to fly back to myself but had no luck!
2017-11-4
Use props
DJEyeintheSky
lvl.1
New Zealand

Agreed with @TroutboyNZ it sounds like a faulty side plug. Id use the bottom USB port instead of the side. And yes you could of just flown back.
2017-11-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

That DAT (flight log) from that flight that's stored on the Mavic probably contains enough information to figure out what happened, so if you'd like me to take a look then retrieve it using these instructions, upload it to DropBox (or a similar service), and provide a link to it in this thread. The correct file will have a date and time that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens and maybe hundreds of megabytes in size. If you aren't sure which is the correct one then it's fine to include more than one and I'll figure it out.

Having said that, the cable theory mentioned above is a good one, but only if the controller was disconnected from the phone / app and not the aircraft being disconnected from both "the controller and the phone" as you described. If the aircraft was still responsive to the remote then it probably was just a cable problem, but if it wasn't responding to your remote input then it likely was something else.
2017-11-4
Use props
fansd6ae886e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'll try do that when I'm back! I'm heading out now to test it out again with a different cable. I reviewed the footage on the sd card and you can pinpoint the second the drone stops responding to the controls, which is very odd. I'll be taking it somewhere safe to test out to ensure if it happens again we get it home in one piece!
2017-11-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good luck And fly safely. Keep us posted I would love to know if the cable was the issue.
2017-11-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Do you notice the message on the upper left? If you couldn't control the drone at that time, your RC signal was lost. It might because of the signal interruption, the drone would initiate failsafe RTH automatically if condition permitted. In this circumstance, you can try to adjust the position of the antennas, make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft, and it might relate to the environment, you can also try another place to fly.
2017-11-6
Use props
fansd6ae886e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Tried it again yesterday and managed to get a full battery out of it with nothing unusual at all! Used a different wire like you guys requested and got some nice footage flying  up a long waterfall! Signals stayed high the entire time and no sign of disconnecting! I'll keep you guys posted if I encounter anything odd! Thanks for all of the responses!
2017-11-6
Use props
ZeGeN
lvl.2
United States

Mine got disconnected  5500 Ft away.... at the beach. But it came back.
2017-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules