Remote charge port broken
7467 19 2017-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_IW4jGSw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12815 ft
United States

Hello all, the charge port on my spark remote got smushed and I cannot get the drone to charge anymore. Dji can fix it for me but I do not want to pay the 80$ they are charging to fix it. If I wanted to fix it on my own does anyone know how easy it would be/ where to get the replacement port? Also, do you guys think it would be worth fixing it by myself or is it worth paying the 80$?
IMG_1240.PNG
2017-11-4
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

You’d better not do it unless you do soldering with micro electronic for living because you can damage nearby parts and the circuit board itself.
2017-11-4
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The only issue I would have with DJI doing it, is that they would replace it with that stupid Micro AB port again, they should be using the more universal Micro B triangular edged port

A Micro AB would allow the tab to be broken again by a micro B male plug inserted incorrectly as there is too much play in the perfectly rectangular AB port.

This is the micro B they should be using, which allow the micro usb to be inserted one way, not the like the AB port in the second  image below

USB_Micro-AB_receptacle.svg.png
USB_Micro_B_receptacle.svg.png
2017-11-4
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Of course they will use the same port again.
Because no one is going to solder something there.
They'll put another chip in, thats it.

And yes, this design is "bad, very bad".
Which is one reason why my OTG cable for this socket has a 90° plug.
But on the other hand, I am well trained to check with my thumb, that the USB symbol is on top, before inserting.
This we should have learned by now, since all the electrical devices, we use, phones p.ex., charged with micro usb, have the same problem:
The design of the micro USB!
2017-11-4
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

I would pay for it, no doubt...you could end up damaging the RC so you have to pay for a new one.
2017-11-4
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-4 22:04
Of course they will use the same port again.
Because no one is going to solder something there.
They'll put another chip in, thats it.

Indeed it's a bad thing, I hate all these kind of cables and ports and types...I woul like some universal solution for this...hahaha I guess like every body else, but it just annoys me when I'm forced to have severel kind of USB cables to connect the devices and if you don't have the right socket you can't use it even if it's the right cable...
2017-11-4
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-11-4 23:21
Indeed it's a bad thing, I hate all these kind of cables and ports and types...I woul like some universal solution for this...hahaha I guess like every body else, but it just annoys me when I'm forced to have severel kind of USB cables to connect the devices and if you don't have the right socket you can't use it even if it's the right cable...

The universal solution is the USB-C port.
2017-11-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I agreed with Supong. Our support will ensure that the RC function well after repair.
2017-11-5
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-5 02:20
The universal solution is the USB-C port.

I would love for DJI to go to all USB-C ports for all their drones!
2017-11-5
Use props
Hollywood_James
lvl.1
Flight distance : 453228 ft
United States

I just had the same thing happen to me today. I charged everything for a video shoot today and when I got there, the OTG cable wouldn’t work and then the charge cable wouldn’t work, We didn’t do the shoot because I wanted a secure connection with the OTG now working. So, out the job and out the drone. Crappy day. Even crappier plug they used It’s less than a year old and this should be a covered event. It wasn’t from misuse, it is just a poor design. Now I need to spend $100 on a new remote. I hate DJI for this. A simple plug grounded me and now is costing me more money.
2018-2-19
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

The USB ports on both the spark and the RC are one of the weakest points about the spark. The very first time I tried to charge the RC I had trouble figuring out what way around to plug it in and I managed to damage the jack with very little effort.  It still charges but I have to be very careful with the connection and the slightest touch on the wire will make it stop charging.   I'm not too worried about it because I don't have to charge the RC as often as the spark batteries and if it gets worse over time I feel confident that I can replace the jack on the RC.    I don't think I would try to replace it in the spark though because you would likely have to disassemble the main circuit board from the body and I don't like fooling around with those micro flex board connectors.  
On the spark the thing is recessed into an opening too small for most USB wires.. I have had to shave down the plastic on a few wires to make them fit because who wants to only be able to use the exact wire that came with the spark.
I agree with others above, I would like to see DJI use more robust USB connectors on their drones.
2018-2-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thank you for the spot on. As regular users of the Spark, your opinion with the ports being the weakest part matter to us. We appreciate this feedback LouisP and our developers may look at this.
2018-2-19
Use props
Hollywood_James
lvl.1
Flight distance : 453228 ft
United States

I’m glad they are “looking into it”. However, that doesn’t fix my RC or save me any money. Oh, by the way, Apple already figured this issue out.
2018-2-19
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

If you need to ask this question, you should pay the $80.
2018-2-19
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-2-19 18:09
Thank you for the spot on. As regular users of the Spark, your opinion with the ports being the weakest part matter to us. We appreciate this feedback LouisP and our developers may look at this.

Please request USB-C ports for the future!  The Mavic Air is confusing with a USB-C on the aircraft and a MicroUSB on the RC!
2018-2-19
Use props
CptnBlackBeard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 956217 ft
United States

Has anyone successfully changed theirs to USB-C ?
Soldering skills are not a problem, parts sourcing probably not.
Question is the pins connections, but they are probably standard for USB types.
2018-5-28
Use props
Soso01
lvl.1
Belgium

Hello,

I am having the same problem with the same amount to pay.

Someone knows where I can find this USB part to change it myself ?

Thanks
2019-1-9
Use props
R.MRT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6240 ft
Spain

Hey guys,

I see that many people are having issues with the remote connector/charging port.  I also had issues myself and contacted DJI. They asked me to send them the remote which I did on the first week of January. Guess what, Today I am still waiting for them to send it back.  When they received it, they asked me to pay €115.85 to fix a manufacturing flaw (should be covered under warranty) My options? None, because if I get someone else to fix it for a reasonable price, I lose my product warranty (for whatever it’s worth).
This is quite abusive, right? It only gets worse.

So, because I’m going traveling during the month of February and was planning to do some filming I paid them the money and they tell I should have it in less than 12 days. They fix it in a day and when telling UPS the delivery address they mess up and use my address and the zip code of a different country. To date, 22 February, I’ve had endless calls and emails with them an no one has been able to confirm if they have the remote back. You would think that a company their size with which you spend €2000+ on their products would take responsibility for their mistakes, right? So did I. I asked them many times to send me a remote before I went on holidays, send me a remote while I was on holidays or help me get one from any of their distributors in the country. No sign of intention whatsoever to help. To add insult to injury, nobody knows where my remote is.

I asked for cooperation’s to solve the issue along with the three questions below:
1. How your company compensates its clients for mistakes of this kind.
2. How often you received remotes for repairs related to the micro USB charger. From the online forums, it appears to be high.
3. Whether your clients have the option to get the remote repaired at a cheaper price elsewhere without losing the product's warranty.
I mentioned I was planning to share their response:
The things you want me to comment on our confidential information, not a business in this world will, via its after-sales service, publicize information of that nature, of which I am quite sure you are aware. You don’t set a good precedent for cooperation to work on.
Stefan van den Berk
SUPERVISOR SUPPORT NL
DJI Europe

I became quite concerned about DJI practices at that stage. I talked to a few lawyers about what can be done to save others such an unpleasant experience. It turns out that DJI may be violating our Consumer Legislation in Europe and, if that the case, anyone who has gone through similar problems may be entitled to seek compensation. I have shared this information on different forums and got people contacting me separately. Anyone who wants more information on this or wants access to my communications with DJI, sales, customer support and legal departments can reach out to me on Rafmarti87@gmail.com
2019-2-22
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

lannes Posted at 2017-11-4 20:38
The only issue I would have with DJI doing it, is that they would replace it with that stupid Micro AB port again, they should be using the more universal Micro B triangular edged port

A Micro AB would allow the tab to be broken again by a micro B male plug inserted incorrectly as there is too much play in the perfectly rectangular AB port.
[Image]

i dont see any difference in the two pics ! !
2019-2-28
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

CptnBlackBeard Posted at 2018-5-28 19:25
Has anyone successfully changed theirs to USB-C ?
Soldering skills are not a problem, parts sourcing probably not.
Question is the pins connections, but they are probably standard for USB types.

you can source the components from RS components or Farnell .
2019-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules