Send last GPS location?
5629 12 2017-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
indi75
lvl.1
France

Hello, I am a new user here. I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve the last GPS position of my Spark in case of loss? Isn't there a function that automatically send off the GPS coordinates to the DJIgo4 application when connected? Thanks a lot for your help.

2017-11-5
Use props
indi75
lvl.1
France

I think I found the answer in the DJIGo4 application itself under the localise my drone function. But, in case of loss and crash, would that function still work showing the last GPS position of the Spark?
2017-11-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

indi75 Posted at 2017-11-5 04:15
I think I found the answer in the DJIGo4 application itself under the localise my drone function. But, in case of loss and crash, would that function still work showing the last GPS position of the Spark?

The GPS position is recorded in the flight log. If you read a bit through this forum you'll find a lot of information about that.
2017-11-5
Use props
indi75
lvl.1
France

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-5 04:20
The GPS position is recorded in the flight log. If you read a bit through this forum you'll find a lot of information about that.

Hi, thanks for your reply Wachtberger. But in orter to get the flight log, don't I need to have the drone itself in hand, or is the flight log being recorder somewhere else? I was asking that question is case of drone loss somewhere that could not be found.
2017-11-5
Use props
Bluedot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218471 ft
Germany

indi75 Posted at 2017-11-5 04:40
Hi, thanks for your reply Wachtberger. But in orter to get the flight log, don't I need to have the drone itself in hand, or is the flight log being recorder somewhere else? I was asking that question is case of drone loss somewhere that could not be found.

Hi Indi,

Open the DJI Go 4 App, then choose the menu in the top right corner and select „flight recordings“. You will see the GPS coordinates in the field where the control buttons for „playback“, „pause“ erc are located for any given time of the (recorded) flight
2017-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

indi75 Posted at 2017-11-5 04:40

Flight record is recorded in your app also.

If you lose it because of no gps you will not have coordinates, once you have gps you should be able to find it.
2017-11-5
Use props
indi75
lvl.1
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-5 05:44
Flight record is recorded in your app also.

If you lose it because of no gps you will not have coordinates, once you have gps you should be able to find it.

Thanks all for your very useful answers
2017-11-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Glad to know you have figured it out. The last GPS coordinates will be recorded in the DJI GO when there is enough GPS signal. You can check the coordinates in flight records. And I'll attach the video of uploading flight records for your reference.

2017-11-12
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

Considering the gsm coverage, I wonder if it is not worth to think about adding a gsm modem and (micro)sim car slot to future generations of drones. In case of a fly-away, the operator could then send an sms to the drone with a request to send back its gps coordinates (this is how gps trackers work, btw). Although, Spark can be too small but I guess Mavics and Phantoms could have it. Just a thought.
2017-11-12
Use props
indi75
lvl.1
France

_pk Posted at 2017-11-12 22:34
Considering the gsm coverage, I wonder if it is not worth to think about adding a gsm modem and (micro)sim car slot to future generations of drones. In case of a fly-away, the operator could then send an sms to the drone with a request to send back its gps coordinates (this is how gps trackers work, btw). Although, Spark can be too small but I guess Mavics and Phantoms could have it. Just a thought.

Thanks all for your very useful tips. I am wondering how can people lose their Spark if it is possible to get its last GPS location. Cheers
2017-11-13
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

indi75 Posted at 2017-11-13 15:09
Thanks all for your very useful tips. I am wondering how can people lose their Spark if it is possible to get its last GPS location. Cheers

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the "find my drone" feature in DJI GO4.  My Spark was caught in a whirlwind and I lost connection and the drone. After getting over the panic I recalled seeing the feature as a menu option in DJI GO4.  I accessed the feature by tapping the menu in the upper right corner of the app. Tap on  "Find My Drone" and you get a map that shows your position (assuming you have GPS working on your phone) and the position of the drone. I had to travel about 1/4 mile and according to the map I was in the right location, but couldn't see the drone. Then I found a feature on the screen that forced the drone to give an audible signal. Thirty seconds later I found the drone at rest on a child's slippery slide, still on and sending a location signal.
2017-11-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Sliderul Posted at 2017-11-13 21:09
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the "find my drone" feature in DJI GO4.  My Spark was caught in a whirlwind and I lost connection and the drone. After getting over the panic I recalled seeing the feature as a menu option in DJI GO4.  I accessed the feature by tapping the menu in the upper right corner of the app. Tap on  "Find My Drone" and you get a map that shows your position (assuming you have GPS working on your phone) and the position of the drone. I had to travel about 1/4 mile and according to the map I was in the right location, but couldn't see the drone. Then I found a feature on the screen that forced the drone to give an audible signal. Thirty seconds later I found the drone at rest on a child's slippery slide, still on and sending a location signal.

You were lucky in 2 cases:

First, you "lost"your drone, but the drone did not loose GPS or connection, or went to atti mode.
Second, you reached the position during the battery power time.

p.ex., I tried the "find my drone" feature one time, to test. Yep, it showed me the last position of my last flight, jut before I switched it of: About a thousand km away, but resting on the desk.
It is a nice function, but in case of atti fly away and/or connection loss and no RTH, you have only a refrerence point.
The very last known position of your drone
Very useful in case of critical battery landings, methinks

Aside, indi75 mentioned it in his sec. post ;-)
2017-11-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

indi75 Posted at 2017-11-13 15:09

It is the last known position.
Meaning, if it moved after GPS loss (Atti p.ex.), you know where to start.
It is mainly telling us, where our Spark had the last time GPS.

2017-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules