Bouncing up and down with Ronin when walking
24316 13 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gareth.e.robins
lvl.1
Australia

Hey guys,

Love the Ronin, but I notice whenever I walk there is a slight up and down movement as I take each step. Not sure if there is something I can change with the DJI Assistant to fix this, I've tried playing around with a few settings, or do I need to try walking slower or whatnot?

2015-4-9
Use props
DJI-Darryl
lvl.2

United States

Hi gareth, Yes you need to control how you walk, bend your knees a little and concentrate on controlling the up and down movement while framing your shot, It takes some practice and patients.
It is very much like operating a Steadicam, although a Steadicam does allow support for vertical movement you still need to train yourself on how to walk with a Steadicam.

Also IMO the 3 axis Gimbals work best in either a really slow walk, or a fast walk, or running, and anything inbetween may have unwanted vertical movement.
For long durations I suggest you buy a Gimbal Support system, or build your own.
Here is a DIY 3 Axis Gimbal Support Backpack  
it can still produce vertical movement if you're not careful but at least it helps with the weight, and you should have a better chance of getting a stable shot on longer takes using the Gimbal.  

2015-4-9
Use props
gareth.e.robins
lvl.1
Australia

DJI-Darryl Posted at 2015-4-10 15:40
Hi gareth, Yes you need to control how you walk, bend your knees a little and concentrate on control ...

Thanks for the reply, I will try a few different methods and see how I go. Will playing with the settings in the Assistant App help with any of this though?
2015-4-10
Use props
DJI-Darryl
lvl.2

United States

"Will playing with the settings in the Assistant App help with any of this though?"

Not really, But if you want to post a short video of bouncing,
along with the camera you are using, and exact setting you have I will take a look.
But the Assistant App settings is not something that will work from one user to the next,
it's just a matter of taste and preference and from shot to shot, user to user, and what works for you.
2015-4-11
Use props
gareth.e.robins
lvl.1
Australia

Alright here is an example video from my first test shoot

2015-4-11
Use props
DJI-Darryl
lvl.2

United States

Hi Gareth, That does look extreme, do you have smooth track enabled?
2015-4-12
Use props
gareth.e.robins
lvl.1
Australia

DJI-Darryl Posted at 2015-4-13 02:31
Hi Gareth, That does look extreme, do you have smooth track enabled?

Yeah I did, but I hadn't fiddled with the settings yet, that's why i was wondering if there was something i should have it set to
2015-4-15
Use props
Nirmal4S
New

India

gareth.e.robins Posted at 2015-4-16 14:35
Yeah I did, but I hadn't fiddled with the settings yet, that's why i was wondering if there was so ...

Hello everyone, i too have the same problem with smooth track enabled. the shots gets bouncing up and down while walking. is there any parameters to be adjusted in the app to overcome this... Thanks in advance...
2015-4-16
Use props
gareth.e.robins
lvl.1
Australia

Nirmal4S Posted at 2015-4-16 22:18
Hello everyone, i too have the same problem with smooth track enabled. the shots gets bouncing up  ...

I have actually found that walking whilst holding the Ronin really far away from my body, almost as long as my arms, reduces the bobbing to the point that it doesn't even exist anymore.
2015-4-16
Use props
e.gargiulo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Italy

Hi, i too have the same problem with smooth track enabled. the shots gets bouncing up and down while walking. is there any parameters to be adjusted in the app to overcome this... Thanks
2016-4-1
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

e.gargiulo@soge Posted at 2016-4-1 15:42
Hi, i too have the same problem with smooth track enabled. the shots gets bouncing up and down while ...

It's a 3 axis gimbal, you as the operator controlls the 4th axis, (up and down spacial movements)  the gimbal can't counteract those movents, watch your walk, ride a bicycle, a bike, skateboard, or anything on wheels. If you want to do it the fancy way, buy an Easyrig + Flowcine Serene + Flowcine 2 axis poppeteer, or buy a Vest+arm from a steadycam and adapt it to your ronin, or buy a Jockey 4th axis extension for ronins gimbals.
Thats hoe you deal with that.
2016-4-2
Use props
I1d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291634 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You need additional hardware for the 4th axis please see http://youtu.be/spThR4aNKf4 Dji should release this as a standard add-on
2016-4-3
Use props
werner.daehn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Devin Graham is using a Glidecam, which has no automatic stabilization at all. Look at how he is walking, always in his knees, keeping the camera at the same height all the time. With the Ronin you have 3 degrees less to worry about, but the walking style is something you have to learn. Even professional grade Steadycam Operators have to walk/run that way for smooth operations.
Obviously having the handrail just left to the camera makes every change in height very obvious in your video.

2016-4-8
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

werner.daehn@go Posted at 2016-4-8 11:47
Devin Graham is using a Glidecam, which has no automatic stabilization at all. Look at how he is wal ...

A picture tells 1,000 words - thanks for finding and sharing - I learnt a lot from it.
2016-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules