Spark fly away, Lost but found!
1346 6 2017-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HillcountryDron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79544 ft
United States

I calibrated the comapass and IMU then immediately I was flying at the base of a mountain in Colorado filming our camp and a nearby river. I was almost done and I went to to make one last pass from 160ft altitude at a distance of 120yards away.  I got a "no gps signal" "IMU error" image transmission became intermittent. I lost all control. The RTH had been updated and I checked before take off. Twice it said it would return to home and I confirmed each time but it continued to fly away from me slowly. Soon my image was black and all was lost.

I quickly drove on a road the direction the drone was last headed. I stopped in an attempt to gain signal and I did connect to the image. I saw it was laying upside down in a tuft of grass with 16% batt life. I still couldn't get gps signal and I was getting an " magnetic interference" error. I went nuts trying to find it while I had battery but I could not get any location service to work. The gps said the drone was in the spot where last known signal was and the "find my drone" function said it was still at the RTH spot so it was worthless.

I tried everything I could think of driving and running to get closer enough to connect GPS or something that would give me a location to no avail. Anytime I connected I could see the grass moving in the camera image but couldn't locate it. Finally the battery went to 0% and I saw it die. At this time I figured my spark was gone forever.

4 of us spent 3hrs combing the mountain and came up empty handed. The next morning 1 other person joined me for one last search.

I screen shotted the satellite image signal of all the points I knew (home, last known GPS spot, last flying camera image and approx flight path direction) we calculated possible crash sites and searched nearly 2hrs. We were almost done and I walked up on it!

No damage, I put in a fresh battery and it connected and motored up just fine but I have not flown it since
James
2017-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Most crashes “fly a way”  reports start with the opening line I CALIBRATED MY COMPASS, why did you calibrate your compass and IMU was there something wrong with them.
In your manual it clearly tells you NOT to calibrate compass unless prompted by your app.
2017-11-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am glad to hear that you recovered the drone at the end. For your case, please check the battery socket and make sure the drone is working properly. You can also send it back for an overall check.
2017-11-5
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Odd that at 120 yards out, it would lose GPS, lose IMU, and then lose the RC signal.  I can see the nav aids faulting out together but why did the radio also drop offline?  RTH has no chance without working navigation systems.  Better trying to crash it right where it is while it is findable.
2017-11-5
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-11-5 23:34
Odd that at 120 yards out, it would lose GPS, lose IMU, and then lose the RC signal.  I can see the nav aids faulting out together but why did the radio also drop offline?  RTH has no chance without working navigation systems.  Better trying to crash it right where it is while it is findable.

You have the CSC function for that purpose.
2017-11-5
Use props
HillcountryDron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79544 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-5 13:45
Most crashes “fly a way”  reports start with the opening line I CALIBRATED MY COMPASS, why did you calibrate your compass and IMU was there something wrong with them.
In your manual it clearly tells you NOT to calibrate compass unless prompted by your app.

Hallmark007,
Yes, it was grounded with a IMU error and prompted me to updated. Thank you for pointing that out
James
2017-11-6
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

@HillcountryDron what firmware you have?
2017-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules