Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
California / San Diego drone regulation and laws
2406 5 2017-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fabre.julien
New
Flight distance : 2516 ft
United States

Hi,
I'm french and live in San Diego for few months.
I've registred my drone but I'm not sure if I can fly it or not for recreational use in San Diego because of the several airports.
I've read a lot about it (FAA site, Airmap, etc.) but I can't figure if I could fly it without airports permission depending on the flight height?
And if I need the airports permissions before my flight, how can I ask for it?
I've already seen a lot of people flying their drone here below tree height, but is it allowed? What are the risks?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Julien

2017-11-6
Use props
Range30
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Hey Julien, the height is 400 ft max your drone is allowed to fly. In nearby airports within 5 miles in which you want to fly your drone, you'll have to contact the nearby airport tower and request permission to fly from the air traffic controller. They will take your information down like full name, type of drone and the altitude you would want to fly your drone. I feel its best to request 100ft to 150ft altitude first instead of them telling you what height to fly your drone because usually they'll give you a low altitude like '50 ft' so request 100 ft or 150 ft . Some air traffic controllers are very nice and will grant you your request. Some are hard to deal with. One other thing, it's always important to request permission before flying within 5 miles of an airport. Always. And that your DJI Go app is up to date. Hope this helps!  
2017-11-6
Use props
Fabre.julien
New
United States

Range30 Posted at 2017-11-6 19:15
Hey Julien, the height is 400 ft max your drone is allowed to fly. In nearby airports within 5 miles in which you want to fly your drone, you'll have to contact the nearby airport tower and request permission to fly from the air traffic controller. They will take your information down like full name, type of drone and the altitude you would want to fly your drone. I feel its best to request 100ft to 150ft altitude first instead of them telling you what height to fly your drone because usually they'll give you a low altitude like '50 ft' so request 100 ft or 150 ft . Some air traffic controllers are very nice and will grant you your request. Some are hard to deal with. One other thing, it's always important to request permission before flying within 5 miles of an airport. Always. And that your DJI Go app is up to date. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Do you know what is the minimum notice period for requesting the authorization?
Also, how is it possible to find the contact of the airports/towers depending on the flight area?
Thank you so much
Julien
2017-11-7
Use props
Range30
Second Officer
United States

Fabre.julien Posted at 2017-11-7 11:57
Thanks a lot for your reply!
Do you know what is the minimum notice period for requesting the authorization?
Also, how is it possible to find the contact of the airports/towers depending on the flight area?

You are very welcome!

I think the minimum notice depends on the airport and how much traffic in and out the airport receives and time of day you want to fly your Mavic Pro.

Google search the airport information or the airport tower contact number. Be sure to be ready to provide the information the tower will ask. That way you are not wasting their time since they are very busy people.

Here's an example what what I say:

My name is ________________ and I'm requesting permission to fly my under 2 lbs Mavic Pro Drone for recreational activity at altitude _______ feet (request 100 feet because if not they'll tell you 50 feet usually). I'm the only operator and I'd like to fly for __________ minutes (or hours).

They'll ask where you are located so be sure to give them specific landmark areas of where you are such as highways, freeways, stadiums or other locations to give the tower controller of where you are are flying. Also know which way is North, South, East and West.

Be sure too to be clear when talking to them. Hope this all helps!
2017-11-7
Use props
Fabre.julien
New
United States

Range30 Posted at 2017-11-7 23:29
You are very welcome!

I think the minimum notice depends on the airport and how much traffic in and out the airport receives and time of day you want to fly your Mavic Pro.

Thanks a lot !
Last question: If there are many airports, you have to call each one of them?

Julien
2017-11-8
Use props
Range30
Second Officer
United States

Only the airport(s) area in which you are in. Your DJI go app or online DJI unlock zone display should provide an idea of which airport(s) you'll need to call.
2017-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules