Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How cold is too cold to fly
4281 14 2017-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MBrown
First Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

Now that winter is starting to set in on the northern half of the  planet, I was just wondering how cold is too cold to fly?   Looking for information from people with real experience in cold weather.   Is pre warming the batteries an absolute requirement?  What is the No-Go  point?

Thanks and Happy Flying

20171105_094534-2.jpg
2017-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Battery warming is needed if you don’t you will get a warning, there are temp warnings in the manual but only a guide .
Battery usage will be greater in cold weather and I have seen some problems with ice gathering on props.
I would think short flights short distances would be the order of the day.
2017-11-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

-10c though I think zero should be lowest - as said earlier, fly close, low and be prepared to knock 10% of the flight time + let the props spin for a minute or two before take off to warm the battery and drone.
2017-11-7
Use props
Drone-Mike
First Officer

United Kingdom

Useful post here: https://www.heliguy.com/blog/201 ... ur-drone-in-winter/

What temperature was it in your picture?

I pretty much stick to the manual guidelines on battery temp and make sure I carry batteries in my inside pockets when I'm not using them.
2017-11-7
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was out there today 50 degrees with 14 mph winds which made it colder ...about what I can tolerate.  Uncomfortable after running through several batteries b/c again you're stationary. Different if you running in place but kind of hard to do that if you're focusing on the controls/flight.
2017-11-7
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Batteries need to be warmed up to at least 24C. I flew last year when temp was around 5F and i had to warm up the battery for around 4 minutes on the ground with the props running. Rule of thumb if your can't feel your fingers then don't fly!
2017-11-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, the operating temperature range of Mavic is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C). Please kindly follow this instruction. For more specific, please visit :http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs
2017-11-7
Use props
Chison.Wu
inner-tester
Flight distance : 4547 ft

++

Woo, It's very cool and cold.
2017-11-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Look lik a nice video in the making
2017-11-8
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I regularly fly in cold conditions. It's key to keep the batteries and phone warm but let the Mavic acclimate to the cold so you don't suddenly drop the temp of the camera and gimbal.  I have flown down to 5 degress F (-15 C) with no issues provided I take these precautions.  The Mavic generates enough heat that if the batteries start out warm they will be fine.
2017-11-8
Use props
eyecapture
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517848 ft
Canada

I flew in Ft McMurray (Alberta) last February in temps as warm as -20C and temps as cold as -29C. I kept the drone in the car until I was ready to fly.
The same with spare batteries. The only problems I had were more with my fingers freezing and maintaining dexterity.

2017-11-8
Use props
Chison.Wu
inner-tester
Flight distance : 4547 ft

++

Woo, It's very cool and cold.
2017-11-8
Use props
MBrown
First Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

Thanks for posting that link from the Heliguy. Very good article with good advice.

Temp in the picture was about 15F.  The drone worked and flew fine, my fingers did not last very long in the cold.
2017-11-9
Use props
Drone-Mike
First Officer

United Kingdom

MBrown Posted at 2017-11-9 05:45
Thanks for posting that link from the Heliguy. Very good article with good advice.

Temp in the picture was about 15F.  The drone worked and flew fine, my fingers did not last very long in the cold.

It's probably colder than the guidelines but as long as you keep a close watch you should be fine!
2017-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules