Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skyris
First Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thought id try putting the sony on the inspire 20171031_155448.jpg

I had seen a video of a inspire 1 carrying up to 2kgs and seeing as the inspire 2 has larger motors I thought I would try this, camera is 625g without lens, lens 85g, not sure about the bracket but its light
Only tested it once but was pretty sucsessfull, flight was fine but camera had a fair amount of shake (as expected really)
Will test once the weather is better for slowest shutter speed
Bracket I can manualy adjust pitch
Video link is the Connex Mini borrowed from my S900
Shutter controlled by Futaba rx and tx
20171031_155448.jpg
2017-11-7
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Can't see it due to Google Drive.  Says I need permission.

Please post a JPG of it and use a link.

2017-11-7
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-7 12:37
Can't see it due to Google Drive.  Says I need permission.

Please post a JPG of it and use a link.

Just fixed this, mobile version could only add image via link
2017-11-7
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

Thanks!  Interesting setup.

I'll assume you are letting the camera run in video mode manually for the entire flight, or do you have a means to remote trigger it?
2017-11-7
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-7 14:18
Thanks!  Interesting setup.

I'll assume you are letting the camera run in video mode manually for the entire flight, or do you have a means to remote trigger it?

I control the shutter with a futaba receiver, its not smooth enough for video just using for stills plus the x5s is kick ass for video anyway.
So I use a Futaba radio with monitor for camera and dji radio for flight and maps, altitude, battery time  etc etc
2017-11-7
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1303780 ft
Germany

I am very interested in this, I just tried a more modest setup where a fuji X70 is attached to an Inspire 2 using a skyzimir gimbal connector (it has a gopro mount and then you can use a gopro to tripod mount adapter). The X70 has only 16 MP but there are cameras of similar size with 24MP APS-C sensors.
Do you manage to get sharp pictures without using crazy-high shutter speeds? My experience is that you need to use a high shutter speed, especially if it's windy.
[url=]Picture[/url]
Could you be more specific about the technical details?
- Is the bracket home-made and how is it attached to the drone?
- How is the connex powered?
- What about the shutter release, you say it's controlled via the futaba, would you have a link to the equipment used? No experience with that kind of stuff, I was thinking of using a wireless trigger for camera and flash but the best ones have ca. 350m range.

Also in my primitive setup I am "blind", I have to rely exclusively on the FPV and I used the intervalometer to shoot every second.

Your explanations will be much appreciated as I am VERY interested in such a configuration! (hexa/octocopters are not an option for me due to size/weight when hiking plus difficulty to fly - in an airplane I mean - with the batteries).

IMG_20171028_002737.jpg
2017-11-7
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ukaleq Posted at 2017-11-7 17:13
I am very interested in this, I just tried a more modest setup where a fuji X70 is attached to an Inspire 2 using a skyzimir gimbal connector (it has a gopro mount and then you can use a gopro to tripod mount adapter). The X70 has only 16 MP but there are cameras of similar size with 24MP APS-C sensors.
Do you manage to get sharp pictures without using crazy-high shutter speeds? My experience is that you need to use a high shutter speed, especially if it's windy.
Picture

I have a large hexa and can't use this in most situations due to the size and how loud it is at take off.
A lot of my work is in the city so a large hexa is a no go.
I made the bracket myself with aluminium angle, strapped to the drone using tie down straps and cord (pretty basic)
I have only tested it once due to bad weather here but yes had a shutter of 1/2000 i think maybe lower as it was tested during the afternoon, I will be testing it at dawn soon but the lowest I think it could capture a pic would be 1/125the sony is pretty good at higher iso and has in body stabilisation.
It has to be pretty calm to use it and not expecting much but I have had a pretty decent image from it.

The connex mini is powered by a very small 2s lipo 28 grams.. this also powers the futaba rx that controls the shutter on the camera.
this is all transmitted to my futaba remote with monitor I control the drone with the dji remote and the shutter with the futaba

I am wondering why you are taking pics with a 16mp camera when the x4s and x5s are greater??? Sharpness??
2017-11-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

It looks cool, but we would not recommend to mount other cameras on it.
But still hope everything goes smoothly.
2017-11-8
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

Skyris Posted at 2017-11-7 18:10
I have a large hexa and can't use this in most situations due to the size and how loud it is at take off.
A lot of my work is in the city so a large hexa is a no go.
I made the bracket myself with aluminium angle, strapped to the drone using tie down straps and cord (pretty basic)

Thanks for the detailed answer, will look at this stuff! Now, the need to connect multiple things together is definitely an issue, especially when working with gloves in cold temperatures.

Well the X70 was just to test the feasibility of this approach, although at 16MP I think the Fuji still  looks nicer than what I have seen of the X5S so far. But you're right, in the end I would like to use it with a better sensor. The Fuji X-E3 is also super light, and seems to have very good IQ. Of course  I am waiting to see how good the X7 will be for stills but the price is fairly high and unlike a regular camera you can't use it for anything else.

The skyzimir solution has the advantage that you still benefit from the vibration damping plate of the drone although I have no idea how big a difference that really makes. I am wondering if you could hang something like the A7Rii because the body itself is already around 600 grams if I am correct which is about the weight of the X5S or X7 with a lens. So adding a lens to it you would be at least 100-200 grams over the DJI official payloads and that might be too much for the plate.

The sony RX1Rii could be a good solution but as much as I like the 35mm for general purpose photography I think it's not wide enough for landscapes unless you want to stitch several photos to make panoramas - but then you might as well go for something longer.
2017-11-8
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ukaleq Posted at 2017-11-8 12:25
Thanks for the detailed answer, will look at this stuff! Now, the need to connect multiple things together is definitely an issue, especially when working with gloves in cold temperatures.

Well the X70 was just to test the feasibility of this approach, although at 16MP I think the Fuji still  looks nicer than what I have seen of the X5S so far. But you're right, in the end I would like to use it with a better sensor. The Fuji X-E3 is also super light, and seems to have very good IQ. Of course  I am waiting to see how good the X7 will be for stills but the price is fairly high and unlike a regular camera you can't use it for anything else.

I think the x7 is around 630g which would put my sony and pancake lens about 80 grams over, might be ok! never heard of the skyzimer. Will look into it, even if I have to buy a few sets of dampers!!
The only problem for you is that the connex mini is around $1800 AUD then plus futaba radio and rx your looking over $2k just to get video link and shutter control..

I would say a good camera would be the Sony a6500 this would be a similar weight with the 16 or 19mm pancake,.. but still I think if you add all this up the x7 would be the best bet as you have the use of gimbal
I dont think the set up I have is anywhere professional and not sure if I would be able to use it on jobs but great for personal hobby photography of the coastline here on the Gold Coast
2017-11-8
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

I wouldn't bother with the video downlink because anyway in the absence of gimbal you can't frame very precisely.
The shutter release is something more necessary because unless you use the electronic shutter of the camera (and not every camera has this feature, for example the RX1Rii doesn't even though it shares the sensor of the A7Rii), shooting one frame per second takes its toll on the mechanical shutter...

Another aspect of this is that I don't have much confidence in DJI cameras. I had two different phantom 4 Pro and both had defective gimbals (and then it's better to have no gimbal at all that a gimabl that locks your camera in a random direction). I read about misaligned sensors on the X5S and a lot of reliability issues in general. On the other hand I never experienced any problem with any of my digital cameras... So even if in the end I buy a DJI camera I like to have this solution as a backup.   

Can you use the Futaba receiver with a more compact transmitter than a full-blown RC?
2017-11-8
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

But I think you're right, even if you put a little more weight on the plate, probably the worst that can happen is that the dampers are less effective or wear out quicker but either way it doesn't look like a big deal!

Now, I don't see anything in the manual about the rubber dampers... how do you change them? Isn't it weird that there is no explanation about something that is supplied with the drone (same with the propeller mounting plates)?
2017-11-8
Use props
Chison.Wu
inner-tester
Flight distance : 4547 ft

2017-11-8
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ukaleq Posted at 2017-11-8 15:53
But I think you're right, even if you put a little more weight on the plate, probably the worst that can happen is that the dampers are less effective or wear out quicker but either way it doesn't look like a big deal!

Now, I don't see anything in the manual about the rubber dampers... how do you change them? Isn't it weird that there is no explanation about something that is supplied with the drone (same with the propeller mounting plates)?

Dampers are fairly easy to replace, I use a hair tie and pull them through with this,
I disagree with the video link, you def can still frame a shot, I set the gimbal to have the horizon on the third line then aim away at the landscape, i guess you could get away with the fpv cam .... still its good to see what's happening with the cam, when the wind has a lul and the camera has less shake..
Im still leaning to getting this X7 if the reviews come back excellent.
2017-11-9
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

Skyris Posted at 2017-11-9 13:28
Dampers are fairly easy to replace, I use a hair tie and pull them through with this,
I disagree with the video link, you def can still frame a shot, I set the gimbal to have the horizon on the third line then aim away at the landscape, i guess you could get away with the fpv cam .... still its good to see what's happening with the cam, when the wind has a lul and the camera has less shake..
Im still leaning to getting this X7 if the reviews come back excellent.

Here's DxO's review of the X7 sensor: DxO review of DJI X7 camera.  

2017-11-9
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-9 16:37
Here's DxO's review of the X7 sensor: DxO review of DJI X7 camera.

Thanks for sharing, looks promising. Really want a detailed lens review, love to see at 100% crop from the air, keep asking but think we will have to wait for a customer review.
2017-11-9
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

Skyris Posted at 2017-11-9 20:12
Thanks for sharing, looks promising. Really want a detailed lens review, love to see at 100% crop from the air, keep asking but think we will have to wait for a customer review.

Yes, I'm curious as to the lens reviews too.  DxO should be doing one I'd suspect if they had the sensor test.

Sensor score puts it on average with the Nikon 7500 which isn't bad.  However, the Nikon is half the price of the X7 too (ahem!) and makes the high DJI price more puzzling as most of the camera electronics are inside the Inspire 2 as well.

Hopefully, the Q.C. is corrected for matters like the sensor tilt (Out of focus on one side.), and the magenta image tint when in manual white balance mode that haunts the X5 series.

2017-11-10
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

Of course it would be much more convenient to use a fully-integrated solution like the X7.
But I think an A7Rii will remain much better based on the sheer size of the sensor.. Now of course it could be that the full potential of the 42MB is not really usable in practice because of the limitations of such a setup, particularly if it is windy.
@Skyris: yes you can control the yaw to adjust the frame... as for the roll and pitch, it's possible as well by moving the drone. But I am not too sure if it's wise to create even more motion.
2017-11-10
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ukaleq Posted at 2017-11-10 13:21
Of course it would be much more convenient to use a fully-integrated solution like the X7.
But I think an A7Rii will remain much better based on the sheer size of the sensor.. Now of course it could be that the full potential of the 42MB is not really usable in practice because of the limitations of such a setup, particularly if it is windy.
@Skyris: yes you can control the yaw to adjust the frame... as for the roll and pitch, it's possible as well by moving the drone. But I am not too sure if it's wise to create even more motion.

absolutely right as I may need to straighten the horizon so will lose resolution.
Ill get some shots once this weather clears up and upload a high res still for all to browse.. I have a few successful shots with straight horizon so have a resolution of 7600 x 5300 ish focus was a little soft though.. new lens and working out the sharpest manual setting...
I can adjust the camera tilt manualy on the ground before flying so If I do use this for a job and a client requests a straight on/horizon on the third/straight down I can set this before launch...

Just seen the great review on DXO regarding the sensor on the x7, just have to see how the lenses compare before I sell the X5s with a bunch of lenses.
2017-11-10
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
France

Ok looking forward to seeing this!

2017-11-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

One thing the Sony A7Rii has that DJI doesn't is the 5-axis stabilization at the sensor.  This might be good for stills where it should excel.  That and a far wider variety of lenses as with the Micro Four-Thirds bodies as well as zooms too which may be too heavy with the X7 system.

Wish they incorporated a flash sync setup for still photographers on the X7 though who use the drone as an aerial or crane camera with ground studio setups using flash fill.  Osmo needed too.

2017-11-12
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-12 07:41
One thing the Sony A7Rii has that DJI doesn't is the 5-axis stabilization at the sensor.  This might be good for stills where it should excel.  That and a far wider variety of lenses as with the Micro Four-Thirds bodies as well as zooms too which may be too heavy with the X7 system.

Wish they incorporated a flash sync setup for still photographers on the X7 though who use the drone as an aerial or crane camera with ground studio setups using flash fill.  Osmo needed too.

Osmo will be soo expensive as you will have to re purchase all the camera equipment that's inside the inspire 2 again...
2017-11-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

Skyris Posted at 2017-11-12 17:37
Osmo will be soo expensive as you will have to re purchase all the camera equipment that's inside the inspire 2 again...

Yeah, that Osmo handheld thing likely isn't going to happen for the X4S, X5S, or the X7 camera the way it was designed as a component system scattered between the bird and gimbal-cam.  Would have seen it by now.

Maybe with the X8 camera they'll put the camera guts back inside the camera and an affordable Osmo may surface again that won't need multiple licenses for whatever box or handle the Cinecore chip exists in.  Probably will be made for the Inspire 3 though.
2017-11-12
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whoa! that is an awesome set-up you got there.
2017-11-12
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tested the rig this morning
2017-11-16
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Flight went well, the inspires motors didnt get too hot and flight time had an eta of 18 mins, as expected the camera was jumping around a fair amount but got some ok stills with a shutter of 1/320, still want sharper images so will work on the bracket, will keep updates here if any ones keen to see it
2017-11-16
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

good to hear thanks for the update! you have a very small/flat 3rd-party lens attached, is it any good?
2017-11-17
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Its the new samyang 35mm f2.8 it weighs only 85g.. and very sharp, have a look at some reviews.. great little lens
2017-11-19
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

ok I will have a look, it sounds like a good choice for flying light
2017-11-19
Use props
photofinish
lvl.2

Hello Skyris,
Hats off to you on your A7R setup. I have found over the years that video cameras don’t take great stills and still cameras do not take great video. I only shoot stills and have no use for video in my field of work.

Is there any chance you could post a photo without the camera in order to get a better idea of how you fabricated your mount?

My Sony A7 (ILCE-7) body weighs 464 grams and with the Samyang 35mm f2.8 weighing in at 86 grams the total weight is 81 grams less than an X7 (without a mount). I don’t see much of a problem keeping the total weight comparable to an X7 with mounting hardware.

I would feel better flying a dedicated rig that has $1,000.00 in optics as opposed to $4,000.00 in case I ever had a mishap.

Have you refined your I2/A7R rig anymore since your last post? I think it’s totally awesome!

Many thanks in advance!

P.S. I found this image which was taken with an X7 by Heliguy.com. I have to say that it is quite remarkable after tweaking it.

2018-4-12
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

photofinish Posted at 2018-4-12 08:12
Hello Skyris,
Hats off to you on your A7R setup. I have found over the years that video cameras don’t take great stills and still cameras do not take great video. I only shoot stills and have no use for video in my field of work.

Hi Since I purchased the x7 I haven't moved forward with the bracket, I would lose signal sometimes due to the 2.4ghz switch for the camera trigger or the 5.8 ghz video link...
I was getting quite bad camera shake aswell, I would prob invest in the x7 if I were you, I am hoping the lenses that work with the x7 will work on the full frame they will release this year or next... and I hope the full frame will be able to connect to the inspire 2.
The x7 has enough room to hold a larger sensor so I'm assuming they will release it this year. all the x7 lenses bar the 16mm are full frame ready.
2018-4-12
Use props
photofinish
lvl.2

Thanks so much for your quick reply.. You just saved me a lot of time trying to perfect a similar rig. I've done shoots from fixed wing aircraft and helicopters over the years. As I get older I like flying less and less!  Here is the subject I primarily shoot. This was taken back in 2010 with an old Sony A330.  The problem with chartering aircraft is having them be ready to go on a day when there is zero cloud cover, very low humidity and giving them very short notice.... An I2/X7 would make my life much easier!  

Cheers!

2018-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules